You guys deserve better. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JohnHopkinsMD

New

Re: You guys deserve better.

Post by JohnHopkinsMD » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:30 am

NYC Law wrote:
JohnHopkinsMD wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I know a couple miserable doctors. My mom is a nurse actually, all of the Doctors she works with hate their lives, still have debt, and many say not to go to med school (unless you truly have a burning desire to practice medicine). So whose anecdotes win?

Clearly the only route to happiness is a career in retail, Target management or bust.

or..

Do what you want to do while being somewhat financially responsible and not being motivated by retarded motives (ie going into either medicine or law just because you think you'll hit the jackpot), and not listening to rando tools on the internet.
Pretty terrible argument to make in a law school forum considering that fact that lawyers are notorious for hating their jobs more than any other profession...
Which goes back to the point of doing something you actually want to do without retarded motives. I can guarantee a sizable chunk of lawyers got into it because of:
(1) Nothing better to do
(2) $$$ and/or models + Bottles
(3) Legally Blonde
(4) Law and Order
(and a minority because of "My cousin Vinny")

All of which are awful reasons to get into law school. If you take the same precautions as you would with med school, by actually learning about what lawyers really do by volunteering/getting a gig as a paralegal first and truly want to do the work, then it's a solid path, provided you're somewhat financially responsible (which is more of a personal decision, as long as it's using adequate information and research)
You could be right, buddy. But I can bet you that their are just as many lawyers who were in the same position many young, bright students on this forum are in(really looked forward to a career in law) and hate their jobs.

Obviously more so than medicine because medicine is not a career that you can just "decide whenever" to jump into unlike law. There are actual requirements. Unfortunately for the already oversaturated legal market anyone today could become a lawyer. ANYONE. But it takes passion and intelligence to become an MD, and I suspect everyone here as plenty of the latter, and many of you have former as well.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:31 am

I am actually a terrible person. I deserve much worse.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:32 am

I listened to Mr. John Hopkins and withdrew all my apps tonight. I wish all the rest of you good luck with your terrible career prospects and I advise you to research post-bacc programs for pre-med like me.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:34 am

Tom Joad wrote:I listened to Mr. John Hopkins and withdrew all my apps tonight. I wish all the rest of you good luck with your terrible career prospects and I advise you to research post-bacc programs for pre-med like me.
Thats Dr. John Hopkins. Or John Hopkins, M.D., good sir.

JohnHopkinsMD

New

Post by JohnHopkinsMD » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:34 am

Tom Joad wrote:I listened to Mr. John Hopkins and withdrew all my apps tonight. I wish all the rest of you good luck with your terrible career prospects and I advise you to research post-bacc programs for pre-med like me.
You might be poking fun now, but it would be the best decision you've ever made in your life. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:36 am

I wish I had actually done this. I remember walking around the lakes (at Notre Dame) the week before classes started 1L year and going back and forth about dropping out.

Now I'm a 2L (top 10-15%; on law review) and I wish to god I had.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:37 am

flcath wrote:
I wish I had actually done this. I remember walking around the lakes (at Notre Dame) the week before classes started 1L year and going back and forth about dropping out.

Are you a jobless 2L with top 10-15% grades and LR?

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:39 am

romothesavior wrote:
flcath wrote:
I wish I had actually done this. I remember walking around the lakes (at NoTTTre Dame) the week before classes started 1L year and going back and forth about dropping out.

JohnHopkinsMD

New

Post by JohnHopkinsMD » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:40 am

How glad are you guys that I made this typo so you can take your anger out on it? :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:40 am

Topic had great potential, but pretty sure flcath ruined it

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:41 am

James Hopkins Lipton. Inside the JD studio.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:41 am

romothesavior wrote:
flcath wrote:

Can't think of another reason he would want to drop out while being near the top of his class and on LR. If he just genuinely hated law school, then his credentials would be pretty irrelevant.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:42 am

forza wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
flcath wrote:
I wish I had actually done this. I remember walking around the lakes (at NoTTTre Dame) the week before classes started 1L year and going back and forth about dropping out.

It's starting to look that way.

And Notre Dame is a lovely school, about which I have no complaints.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:42 am

Jimmy Hoffakins

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:43 am

James Earl Hopkins. Contemplate this on the tree of jd.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:44 am

Real doctors/med students don't waste their time on internet forums trying to dissuade people from pursuing a profession that they have little first hand knowledge of.

We deserve better? Bullshit. You don't give a shit about us. You don't know any of us. The only reason you would come on here and post a thread (which by the way is full of information we already know) is because you have some sort of personal agenda.

Also you posted this in the legal employment forum which is primarily frequented by actual (not prospective) law students. You aren't dissuading anyone from going to law school you are just being a dick to those of us that have already committed to going.

TLDR: GTFO TROLL
Last edited by shoeshine on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:44 am

kaiser wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
flcath wrote:

Can't think of another reason he would want to drop out while being near the top of his class and on LR. If he just genuinely hated law school, then his credentials would be pretty irrelevant.
(a) I actually listed my creds to evince that I don't just hate LS b/c I'm not good at it. Of course I'm not trying to impress anyone w/ that shit.

(b) Job search stress/woes are certainly part of it, but I've made threads saying essentially the same thing (that I'd prefer to be in MS over Biglaw) back before the job season even started. I wouldn't blame you at all for being skeptical, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:46 am

flcath wrote:" Of course I'd have to do a post-bacc (the kind for ppl who have done all the pre-reqs; the Notre Dame pre-med advisor suggested Loyola)
I researched this quite a bit in the past month or so. There are specific programs for people who want to boost their science gpa's. I don't know if that is relevant to your interests. They call those programs "academic-record enhancers" on the aamc website. My search returned 75 schools. At least there has to be one that perfectly aligns with your interests.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:47 am

Jim Hopkins Boehner. A jd printed on orange paper.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:48 am

Jimi Hopkins Hendrix - Foxy J.D.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:50 am

Jim Kelly Hopkins- made it to 3L on several occasions, but never got the JD.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:51 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
flcath wrote:" Of course I'd have to do a post-bacc (the kind for ppl who have done all the pre-reqs; the Notre Dame pre-med advisor suggested Loyola)
I researched this quite a bit in the past month or so. There are specific programs for people who want to boost their science gpa's. I don't know if that is relevant to your interests. They call those programs "academic-record enhancers" on the aamc website. My search returned 75 schools. At least there has to be one that perfectly aligns with your interests.
Ty, though I know all about it.

The main issues are that if I finish LS (which I will), I'm worried about my age, and to a lesser extent, my debt. If I don't finish, MSs will frown upon my decision to drop out (despite it being logical), and I also have regret aversion.

In either case, I also worry about my ability to perform well... I really am not a very hard worker.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:53 am

Justin Bieber Hopkins - And I was like, JD, JD, JD OHHHHH

Mavraides87

New

Post by Mavraides87 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:53 am

flcath, what's your home market?

I'm shocked a seemingly normal fratter with LR credentials can't get something pretty solid.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:54 am

John Cusak Hopkins- Gross Pointe JD

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”