Funny OCI Interview Stories

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Funny OCI Interview Stories

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a Jew, I'd actually like to have heard that. Not knowing what firm cultures are like, if another one has plenty of members of the tribe, I think I'd probably fit in better there. Don't think he meant it in a negative way.

It made me feel super uncomfortable to bring up religion, though. I have nothing on my resume that indicates my religion and I didn't bring it up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:44 pm

Looking back I guess it is funny that this is what BigLawl does to your soul, at the time I was a little peeved:

Go into interview room.
Me: Hello, nice to meet you. Thank you for taking the time, my name is ________.

Interviewer: *Opens coke can. Drinks coke. Spills coke*
Interviewer: SHIT!

Me: I can run and get a paper towel from the bathroom and help clean this up.
Interviewer: No. *Proceeds to leave puddle of Diet Coke on table in interview room.*

Interviewer: Cherish whatever free time you have. I work all the damn time. Yeah I have nice stuff; a big apartment, nice car, and [BIGLAW FIRM] pays me nice bonuses. I have worked every weekend for the past 4 months. *Finds napkin in purse, starts cleaning up Diet Coke* Totally unprovoked Biglaw lifestyle rant before she even looked at my resume.

Interviewer: So anyway...why don't you, um, tell about yourself and what made you decided on law school. Oh and why this firm?

At that point it dawned on me I could recite word for word the decision of every case that firm won, and I wasn't getting a call-back because the interviewer was pissed off she spilled her coke all over the table and handle the clean up like BP. I never wanted to not be a lawyer so badly if that is what I get to call my colleagues, and worse, my superiors.

This is 100% a true story.

Void

Postby Void » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:44 pm

Any other funny stories?
Last edited by Void on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As a Jew, I'd actually like to have heard that. Not knowing what firm cultures are like, if another one has plenty of members of the tribe, I think I'd probably fit in better there. Don't think he meant it in a negative way.

It made me feel super uncomfortable to bring up religion, though. I have nothing on my resume that indicates my religion and I didn't bring it up.

Well, I mean, if your name is Goldbergwitzstein, I'd probably mention something casually. But of course, I've never been in that situation because my name wouldn't lend to such discussion. Of course you don't want to bring up religion, because it's potentially touchy, but I'd look out for another Jew were I interviewing one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well, I mean, if your name is Goldbergwitzstein, I'd probably mention something casually. But of course, I've never been in that situation because my name wouldn't lend to such discussion. Of course you don't want to bring up religion, because it's potentially touchy, but I'd look out for another Jew were I interviewing one.

My name isn't obvious, and the interviewer wasn't Jewish.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My name isn't obvious, and the interviewer wasn't Jewish.

Ah. That is an entirely different story. I'd be super uncomfortable if that was the case, then. My bad.

erico

Postby erico » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looking back I guess it is funny that this is what BigLawl does to your soul, at the time I was a little peeved:

Go into interview room.
Me: Hello, nice to meet you. Thank you for taking the time, my name is ________.

Interviewer: No. *Proceeds to leave puddle of Diet Coke on table in interview room.*

Interviewer: Cherish whatever free time you have. I work all the damn time. Yeah I have nice stuff; a big apartment, nice car, and [BIGLAW FIRM] pays me nice bonuses. I have worked every weekend for the past 4 months. *Finds napkin in purse, starts cleaning up Diet Coke* Totally unprovoked Biglaw lifestyle rant before she even looked at my resume.

Interviewer: So anyway...why don't you, um, tell about yourself and what made you decided on law school. Oh and why this firm?

At that point it dawned on me I could recite word for word the decision of every case that firm won, and I wasn't getting a call-back because the interviewer was pissed off she spilled her coke all over the table and handle the clean up like BP. I never wanted to not be a lawyer so badly if that is what I get to call my colleagues, and worse, my superiors.

"Badly is an adverb. So to say you feel badly would be saying that the mechanism which allows you to [want] is broken."

Void

Postby Void » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looking back I guess it is funny that this is what BigLawl does to your soul, at the time I was a little peeved:

Go into interview room.

"Badly is an adverb. So to say you feel badly would be saying that the mechanism which allows you to [want] is broken."

Awesome job, anonymous grammar policeman. I'd give you a gold star if you had the sack to stand behind your douchery.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:04 pm

Some of these are mine, and some were the experiences of friends:

1. My friend could tell the interview wasn't going well, and his answers were getting through due to eye-rolling of interviewer. My friend is telling an anecdote, and the interviewer interrupts and says "c'mon, tell me something that won't bore me to death". If this happened to me, I'd probably get into a fight, but he said he sucked it up like a bitch and told a different story.

2. I was interviewing with a firm I got through lottery and probably was a bit under-qualified for grade-wise. The interviewer humored me for awhile, and seemed to be trying to take it seriously, but in the 2nd half of the interview, stopped twice to answer emails on blackberry.

3. Friend got an CB call from Skadden, only to get another call 10 min later saying that the CB call was a mistake. They then proceeded to ask him whether he would like his rejection letter via email or through snail mail. He proceeded to hang up on the bitch.

4. I am a transfer, and always had to answer why I transferred. The convo would always be something like "i felt that [new school] would open up many new door. I'm sure I would have done well out of [old school] as well, and had many great opportunities there, but I wanted to broaden the opportunities in this area." And one interviewer actually answered by saying "nah, we don't see [old school] as being all that good or having too good a recruiting program, so you were smart to leave". Perhaps he was right, but that was as blunt as possible.

5. I was running 5 min late to an interview since my last one had run over. I get to the door, and frantically knock. Apparently, 5 min earlier, the interviewer went into the hall and called my first name, and the guy who had the interview slot after me had the same first name, so he just walked into the room not realizing that it wasn't his turn yet. So the interviewer looks back into the room, realizes the mix up, and starts lecturing the other guy for being a screw up and not realizing it wasn't his turn yet. So I get to an interview late, the other guy gets chewed out, and I get to swap slots with him and get a full interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Ropes Boston constantly asks people why they didn't go to a better school if they didn't go to Harvard. Then, they ask your LSAT score and GPA and if you got a scholarship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ropes Boston constantly asks people why they didn't go to a better school if they didn't go to Harvard. Then, they ask your LSAT score and GPA and if you got a scholarship.

Lowenstein Sandler (NJ) asks for LSAT/GPA as well. Or at least they did for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ropes Boston constantly asks people why they didn't go to a better school if they didn't go to Harvard. Then, they ask your LSAT score and GPA and if you got a scholarship.

Lowenstein Sandler (NJ) asks for LSAT/GPA as well. Or at least they did for me.

Really? They didn't ask for any of my pre-law school credentials when I interviewed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:26 pm

If they asked me why I didn't go to a better school, I'd ask them why they don't work for a better firm.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Go into interview room.

This is 110% credited when someone says "I feel badly that X happened" and I am SO glad to see someone say it (and they're always totally smug about being soooo grammatically correct too... rrgghhh rage :evil: )..... but this guy really didn't use it that way. "Badly" in this context doesn't mean the same as in "I feel badly" - it's really about degree, not goodness/badness - so it correctly modifies "wanted."

KamaalTheAbstract

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Go into interview room.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. No need to be anonymous. Stand by your movie quote.

erico

Postby erico » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:11 pm

I didn't mean to post anonymously, it's just a habit. But on closer inspection it appears that want/need badly are actually the preferred formal uses. My badly. No star for me.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Yeah . . . this isn't true.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:12 pm

I was interviewing with a well known lit boutique, and our interview went 10 minutes over (20 minute interview). It was clear there was a girl outside waiting to come in to interview who didn't knock. One interviewer said "should we let her in?" The other said "If she isn't &*%?ing assertive enough to knock for her own interview she can sit outside." We then kept talking about how awesome target is to work at.

nbaguy

Postby nbaguy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:51 pm

erico wrote:I didn't mean to post anonymously, it's just a habit. But on closer inspection it appears that want/need badly are actually the preferred formal uses. My badly. No star for me.

And you're still a douche.

Void

Postby Void » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was interviewing with a well known lit boutique, and our interview went 10 minutes over (20 minute interview). It was clear there was a girl outside waiting to come in to interview who didn't knock. One interviewer said "should we let her in?" The other said "If she isn't &*%?ing assertive enough to knock for her own interview she can sit outside." We then kept talking about how awesome target is to work at.

You mean the large retail big-box store?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was interviewing with a well known lit boutique, and our interview went 10 minutes over (20 minute interview). It was clear there was a girl outside waiting to come in to interview who didn't knock. One interviewer said "should we let her in?" The other said "If she isn't &*%?ing assertive enough to knock for her own interview she can sit outside." We then kept talking about how awesome target is to work at.

As in, where non-assertive lawyers wind up?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:28 pm

Void wrote:

Yeah. You got a problem with target?

Yeshia90

Postby Yeshia90 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:

Paging MTal...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:31 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:

Yeah . . . this isn't true.

Yea, it is. You interview with Ropes? Maybe its just the same interviewer, but I heard it from more than one person (I go to a Boston school and so know many people that interviewed at Ropes).

Anonymous User wrote:

If they asked me why I didn't go to a better school, I'd ask them why they don't work for a better firm.

Ropes thinks Ropes is the best firm.

Void

Postby Void » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:

Nope. Just wasn't sure what you meant.

Return to “Legal Employment”