Funny OCI Interview Stories Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Funny OCI Interview Stories

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've been around enough lawyers to understand the price points of Rolexes.
This phrase struck me as really funny.
Yeah, I phrased it oddly. But I mean that I've overheard enough inane conversation regarding the $$ people spent on watches to know that $2000 is actually at the low end of what one might spend for a Rolex
It's funny ha-ha, don't worry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1. During a screener, I for some reason thought the exit door was behind me instead of to my right. I had a great interview, shook the man's hand, smiled, turned around, and walked into a fucking brick wall. No callback.

2. An interviewer asked me why I wanted to work at a place during a callback and I guess I had a slight misconception of what they did. He awkwardly corrected me: "So, it's different.... That's not what we do here... Really quite different... Not at all, really... So yeah, different." No offer.

3. I was given instructions to arrive at 8:45 for a 9:30 interview, which apparently was on error. I contacted the recruiting director when I got there (since I thought I was supposed to get there at that time), and she said "Oh, I'll be down" - she let me marinade there with my thoughts for 45 minutes - and then got me without really saying one word to me. I tried to explain why I was there so early, which really was tantamount to me telling her how she fucked up. No offer.

4. During a screener, I answered a partner's question in part by illustrating a story by saying that I don't know the location of a mountain range. The interviewer smiled, paused, and said "do you know where it is now" ...... "Nope," I replied. The other interviewer, while looking at my resume said, "Looking at where you've lived, how do you not know? I mean, you must have lived at the foot of it.... And you really don't know"? ..... "Nope". No callback.

Other awkward shit happened too.

you are not very good at interviewing

Did you get an offer?
Yeah, I ended up with a few offers. I did a lot of job fairs and had a lot of OCI screeners, so I think that part of the reason why I had several awkward encounters is due to the law of averages.

In addition, I've walked into a screening room, shook hands with one interviewer and then as I was sitting down, I realized I was sitting in the seat of the interviewer. So I have to awkwardly get up while the other interviewer waits for me to slide over. This happened twice. One time the interviewer actually said "Hey, that's my seat. You - over there"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:07 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Saying that a watch "only" cost you $2000 makes you sound hella-douchey, but you told a story in which this guy took the douchiness to the next level. So your douchiness is negated and forgiven.
I don't think that's the point. Rolex watches are notoriously expensive, and while $2000 is certainly a lot of money, the poster is clearly trying to indicate that he didn't wear some $35,000 watch to try to look like a baller. Rather, the watch is nice but hardly near the top-of-the-line models that the company produces.

I am the rolex-anon. FlightoftheEarls is right.

First, I didn't pay anything. I stated it was worth $2000 for the reader would understand that this is a very low-end Rolex. Most go for $5-10k, and the really nice ones range up into the 20-30k range. The point is simply that this watch is not flashy at all, or I wouldn't wear it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:00 am

Went to callback, met with 6 or 7 dudes, one after another. After the second one, each one started asking me "So who have you met with today?" And I'd reel off the names...next one "So who's you meet with today?" More names. I knew what to expect so I have no one to blame but myself, but by like the sixth time I forgot at least two of the names of the people I'd met with.

We went out to lunch, and at the restaurant the hostess for some reason tried to squeeze 6 of us into a booth clearly meant for no more than 4 people. I had my elbows tucked in while I tried not to rub knees with anyone, and I was leaning forward so the guys to my right and left could lean back. The guys on the end each had one asscheek over the end of the booth. I prepared myself for the most awkward meal of my life but the hostess took mercy on us and moved us.

Went back to the office, and the partner said he wanted to introduce me to one more person before I left. I knew I'd already fucked up the interview and there was no chemistry anyway, so I figured I might as well go for the gold and said "Oh, is he going to ask me who I've met with today too?" The partner said "Oh, um, well...we just ask that because we're not sure what else to ask. It's not a test or anything."

No offer.

Different firm, partner comes back to our school for screener 2.0 (???). He asked me what else I wanted to know about the firm from last time, so I asked what people need to do to make partner. His response was "You need to stay at the firm!" and proceeded to talk for 10 minutes about how they can't keep people at the firm, because they keep getting poached by other firms, and one of the reasons is that his firm didn't pay as much as the other firms. Then he talked about how in their summer class of 9 last summer, 7 got offered, and 4 accepted. I didn't say anything, just nodded gravely the whole time.

No offer. I think I knew too much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Went to callback, met with 6 or 7 dudes, one after another. After the second one, each one started asking me "So who have you met with today?" And I'd reel off the names...next one "So who's you meet with today?" More names. I knew what to expect so I have no one to blame but myself, but by like the sixth time I forgot at least two of the names of the people I'd met with.
This happened to me too. I forgot the name of one of the partners I'd met, but I knew it was something stereotypically Jewish-sounding, with a Rosen- or a Golden- and a -stein or something. When the next partner was asking me whom I'd met with before, and I told him I couldn't remember and fumbled out my best guess, it probably sounded even more awkward than normally not remembering a name because it sounded like I was reeling off the membership rolls of the local B'nai B'rith with my attempts as he said, "who? who?"

Now, I'm Jewish, I look Jewish, I have a fairly Jewish name, and my resume says I'm on the Jewish Law Student Association. But he might have missed all that, and either way, I came off like a schmuck.

No offer, obviously.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Dude, I get that. I've been around enough lawyers to understand the price points of Rolexes. I'm just trying to play the passive observer role (while is essentially the role I play in law school, as I'm consistently dumbfounded and confused by the things around me, aside from the actual class material), in noting how silly it sounds.
And all I was pointing out was the dude sounded like he was self-aware enough to go out of his way to show that he's not trying to come across as bragging about his watch. And you still jumped on him.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:06 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Dude, I get that. I've been around enough lawyers to understand the price points of Rolexes. I'm just trying to play the passive observer role (while is essentially the role I play in law school, as I'm consistently dumbfounded and confused by the things around me, aside from the actual class material), in noting how silly it sounds.
And all I was pointing out was the dude sounded like he was self-aware enough to go out of his way to show that he's not trying to come across as bragging about his watch. And you still jumped on him.
Yeah it really is amazing how pretentious TLSers are about not being pretentious. As soon as I read "the watch is worth $2000," I knew there would be a post following freaking out about how someone could think that was inexpensive. It's obnoxious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:29 pm

I had one interviewer ask me at a screener if I played golf. This was right after she told me about how her firm has an initiative where they encourage women to network in alternate ways. She said, well, what do you do with your husband on vacation while he is playing golf? I responded - um, well, he doesn't play golf - we do other things.

Then she continued with the golf story - asked me how I was going to entertain clients if I don't golf? I told her I was going to only bring clients to the firm that scrapbook and quilt.

Also then asked me if I really did the things that I said I did as a para (I've been a para for 10 yrs) - because she is a 5th year associate and hasn't done those things.

Shocker, no CB!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”