Epic Fail... Chances gone? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Epic Fail... Chances gone?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:15 am

So I was sending out thank you emails and to be honest I usually do not send out thank yous... but this firm really treated me real well and felt it was only right in this circumstance.

Basically I ended up leaving the wrong attorney name at the top of a thank you that I sent to another attorney... oh btw that attorney that I sent it to was the hiring partner. I ended up sending a follow up apologizing/rethanking him... I really loved the firm and pretty much was the #1 place I wanted to work.

I assume I just screwed myself out of a job and am basically wanting to jump off a bridge... any opinions or advice? I was thinking about calling him in addition to the email but I feel that may bring more attention to the mistake.

SO STUPID!!! FML

Gold

Re: Epic Fail... Chances gone?

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:18 am

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Nothing you can do about it anyhow. I doubt it hurts that much...maybe if they were on the ledge by I don't see it as an auto-strike.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks for the reply... careless mistake and I have nobody to blame but myself. I really hope this doesn’t cost me a chance with the firm.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the reply... careless mistake and I have nobody to blame but myself. I really hope this doesn’t cost me a chance with the firm.
Probably wont. If you nailed the callback, they likely wont hold this against you. He probably had his mind made up about you before he got this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:53 am

I wouldn't worry about it. I made some dumb mistakes with attorney names (and even got the firms name wrong) on my OCI screener and messed up more on my call back with my #1 firm. Still got the offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:54 am

blowhard wrote:I wouldn't worry about it too much. Nothing you can do about it anyhow. I doubt it hurts that much...maybe if they were on the ledge by I don't see it as an auto-strike.
I agree that it may not auto-ding you if you nailed the cb...but if they are on the edge with you, I think it can definitely hurt. I had a cb that I rocked, except the hiring partner seemed on the edge with me (I was pretty tired by the time I got to her). I sent a thank you and botched it in a somewhat similar fashion. Dinged :(

I never send thank you emails anymore lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
blowhard wrote:I wouldn't worry about it too much. Nothing you can do about it anyhow. I doubt it hurts that much...maybe if they were on the ledge by I don't see it as an auto-strike.
I agree that it may not auto-ding you if you nailed the cb...but if they are on the edge with you, I think it can definitely hurt. I had a cb that I rocked, except the hiring partner seemed on the edge with me (I was pretty tired by the time I got to her). I sent a thank you and botched it in a somewhat similar fashion. Dinged :(

haha thanks for the story and all the responses... yeah no chance I send a thank you in any circumstance after this. Does anyone think it is worth it to call and apologize? Keep in mind I have already emailed an apology

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:11 am

No. Your bringing more and more attention to it makes you seem awkward. Don't do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

haha thanks for the story and all the responses... yeah no chance I send a thank you in any circumstance after this. Does anyone think it is worth it to call and apologize? Keep in mind I have already emailed an apology
You've already mitigated the damage done to the fullest extent possibly. Anything else will just make you look (inordinately) neurotic.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You've already mitigated the damage done to the fullest extent possibly. Anything else will just make you look (inordinately) neurotic.
ANON UNINTENDED.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:20 am

Sounds good... I will just wait and hope it doesn’t cost me -- Thanks for the advice

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:06 pm

Attorney at big law firm here. Happens a lot. No biggie, we get it. Generally speaking, anyways, we're writing our reviews of you within an hour or two of the interview, so your thank you letters, while nice, generally don't play into our analysis much.

I've only known two instances where it has affected somebody's chances: 1) we were on the fence about the candidate and he/she did something egregious or really stupid in their thank you note (messing up a name like you did does NOT rise to this level); 2) I really liked the candidate and receiving a thank you note reminded me to go nag the recruiter about him/her.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:09 pm

Repeat after me:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can't change...

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sounds good... I will just wait and hope it doesn’t cost me -- Thanks for the advice
Yea, please don't call.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”