Need HELP! Quinn vs….

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Best Overall for IP

Quinn NYC
47%
Williams & Connolly
53%

Total votes: 15

Anonymous User

Need HELP! Quinn vs….

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:36 pm

Which to choose for IP litigation.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

azntwice

Re: Need HELP! Quinn vs….

Postby azntwice » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:41 pm

W&C is not exactly known for their IP lit work. To the best of my knowledge, they have a small and growing group, but the Quinn IP lit group is phenomenal and top of the line - they recently argued a big Apple case in front of the ITC (although I don't remember if they represented Apple or the other side) and have tons of other high-profile clients.
Last edited by azntwice on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:42 pm

wc does very little ip

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:44 pm

azntwice wrote:W&C is not exactly known for their IP lit work. To the best of my knowledge, they have a small and growing group, but the Quinn IP lit group is phenomenal and top of the line - they recently argued a big Apple case in front of the ITC (although I don't remember if they represented Apple or the other side) and have tons of other high-profile clients.

They represented the side opposite to Apple. And they lost.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:46 pm

one other thought though: go where the environment seems nicer.

ive heard that QE, especially NYC office is a sweatshop. and cases outside of IP revolve around mundane commercial lit.

on other hand ive heard tremendously good things about WC's training; so while u'r still expected to work hard, u'll be learning alot on some of the most interesting/complex cases.

plus if long-term goal is not law, WC's extra $15K base and historically large bonuses makes student loans go down faster.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
azntwice wrote:W&C is not exactly known for their IP lit work. To the best of my knowledge, they have a small and growing group, but the Quinn IP lit group is phenomenal and top of the line - they recently argued a big Apple case in front of the ITC (although I don't remember if they represented Apple or the other side) and have tons of other high-profile clients.

They represented the side opposite to Apple. And they lost.

lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:49 am

Vault ranks W&C #1 for Best Place to Work, which is tipping me that way. When you say that W&C is not known for IP, does that mean that I won't get good IP lit experience there?

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Vault ranks W&C #1 for Best Place to Work, which is tipping me that way. When you say that W&C is not known for IP, does that mean that I won't get good IP lit experience there?

You won't get any. But in this case I'd bite the bullet. You will probably work the same hours at both firms, but the quality of work you're given will be way higher at W&C.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:10 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Vault ranks W&C #1 for Best Place to Work, which is tipping me that way. When you say that W&C is not known for IP, does that mean that I won't get good IP lit experience there?

You won't get any. But in this case I'd bite the bullet. You will probably work the same hours at both firms, but the quality of work you're given will be way higher at W&C.

Based on what I heard at my CB, they have a group of patent lawyers who would happily give you IP work. Not sure about soft IP though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:08 pm

Quinn represented HTC. They lost to Kirkland, who represented Apple. An expected loss -- even though Quinn is good, when Kirkland is involved, they usually don't lose.

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Quinn represented HTC. They lost to Kirkland, who represented Apple. An expected loss -- even though Quinn is good, when Kirkland is involved, they usually don't lose.

haha it's true. but still, quinn is a better place to go to than W&C for this kind of work - at least they're getting involved in this kind of case.

e_sack

Postby e_sack » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:42 pm

W&C unless you are dead-set on IP litigation.

At W&C, you will likely work on various types of litigation, including IP. But I'd imagine the IP issues may be secondary claims thrown into a complex litigation involving other issues like antitrust, trade secret, commercial, etc. Again, unless you are deadset on IP, these types of work will likely be more interesting doing nothing but pure hard IP lits all the time, which will involve the same strategy, same law, same issues, but just with different players and different technologies (actually, at a big IP firm like Quinn, you may end up only working on cases involving a certain type of technology - meaning you will become a highly specialized robot - but a very valued robot). Your exit options will also be more limited for IP lit - inhouse litigation manager at a big tech corp, or other IP lit shops. That's it. As a general litigator, and coming from w&c it will be government, other lit shops, corporate inhouse.

w&C is also one of the most selective firms in the nation - congrats

Return to “Legal Employment”