Triple Firm Split

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Triple Firm Split

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:58 pm

Lets say that I have three offers which I really like. They are in three different areas of law which I would really like to work in. They are also very different sized firms (boutique, huge home office V15, smaller big law satellite). All three also have very appealing aspects which I would like to feel out more over the summer.

I think I have found a way to split between all three, attending three full programs over a 22-week summer. I am able to take the minimum credits at my school and do all of my electives at independent studies and finish them before the 22-week program starts.

Ideas?

Also, I wont hide the fact that I am splitting from the firms.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tfer2222

Re: Triple Firm Split

Postby tfer2222 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:59 pm

holy boatload of cash.

Are the firms cool with this???

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:01 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:03 pm

tfer2222 wrote:holy boatload of cash.

Are the firms cool with this???

The two big law firms just want to have 8 weeks each. The third boutique doesn't care at all when I work, just that I work whenever. So technically they are all okay.

However, I sense that one of the biglaw firms really doesn't want me to work for the other biglaw firm because they feel that it is weird that I would split between two firms with such wildly different practices.

The other V15 biglaw firm sounded a little disgusted that they would have to split with the other big law firm because they don't understand what they have to offer (this could be me reading into it though).

No one cares about the boutique, and the boutique cares about no one.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:07 pm

Pick two. You have to make a decision. It isn't a free for all. The firms will care more about the people who spent the whole summer with them, not some barely-there even if he is second coming of Clarence Darrow.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:08 pm

MrAnon wrote:Pick two. You have to make a decision. It isn't a free for all. The firms will care more about the people who spent the whole summer with them, not some barely-there even if he is second coming of Clarence Darrow.

This. Not being able to get down to 2 out of 3 makes you come across kind of flaky, IMO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:09 pm

MrAnon wrote:Pick two. You have to make a decision. It isn't a free for all. The firms will care more about the people who spent the whole summer with them, not some barely-there even if he is second coming of Clarence Darrow.

Is 8 weeks barely there? One of the firms only allows 8 weeks, the other says I must spend "at least 8 weeks."

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Is 8 weeks barely there? One of the firms only allows 8 weeks, the other says I must spend "at least 8 weeks."

Spend 8 weeks at one firm, and 10-12 at the other (or whatever a majority of the summers do). Take a couple weeks off to give yourself a break. No reason to attempt a triple-split -- if I was one of the firms, you'd be at the top of my list of people to no-offer if you do that.

Glock

Postby Glock » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:28 pm

I'd pick two. Doing 3 sounds like good way to end up with no offers by being strange and freaking everybody out.

dood

Postby dood » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:34 pm

as someone who did 14 week split (8 + 6), i cant tell u that its not worth the money. if i could do it again, i would do 8-10 weeks at 1 firm and enjoy my summer. do the split for other reasons, but $ should be a minor consideration, unless u'r a poor.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:51 pm

Thing is I really need the money. However, I really only like 2 of the 3 firms. The other seemed the best to me on paper, but something just didn't seem right about it after a ton of due diligence. I guess I just feel crazy rejecting this one for the two I like more based on gut feel.

Is it crazy to try an 18 week split with 2?

Snooker

Postby Snooker » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:03 am

Three firm splits are very uncommon, but it's been done in Texas. A few firms, such as Susman Godfrey, offer 4-week summers, and others have packed in 2 6-week summers around that (16 weeks total). People have done this and gotten triple offers. 3 firms with 6-week placements would add up to 18 weeks; many firms only do 6-week placements. I would think that more work experience would benefit you in terms of getting offers.

The best bet is to consult your local CSO about their opinion about these specific firms. There's a wide variety of practices out there and it's hard to say with confidence which is best. That said, many people do just fine with the typical 12-week summer.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:59 am

+1 on doing 2 out of 3 firms. People say even splitting a summer shows lack of interest, so I can't imagine that splitting a summer three ways will look good at all, unless you are a really hot commodity. I would take a cue from the biglaw firms' negativity toward your interest in the other biglaw firm. Do one biglaw and the boutique split, if you must.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:56 am

Are you sure the two 8 week programs have a floating schedule? I'm pretty sure most places have set start dates and are probably unwilling to let you start your summer in April or have it last through September.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:20 am

f0bolous wrote:Are you sure the two 8 week programs have a floating schedule? I'm pretty sure most places have set start dates and are probably unwilling to let you start your summer in April or have it last through September.

One is fixed, the other is not.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thing is I really need the money. However, I really only like 2 of the 3 firms. The other seemed the best to me on paper, but something just didn't seem right about it after a ton of due diligence. I guess I just feel crazy rejecting this one for the two I like more based on gut feel.

Is it crazy to try an 18 week split with 2?

There is something to be said for going with your gut after you've done your due diligence. If there is a firm you really dont think youd like, then dont waste their time or yours by going there. You can only take one offer, and there is someone out there who considers it their dream firm.

Also, splitting 3 ways does seem flaky unless you're in Texas, where splitting is common and even encouraged. I would go with 2 firms and split it over 16 weeks max.

Return to “Legal Employment”