Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273508
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Definitely put interesting things on your resume. The key to many interviews is that you want to "connect" with the person you are interviewing with. My resume managed to have both sports and music in my background as well as my interests --- that obviously draws in a lot of different types of people so that you can connect with them over a shared interest. If the only thing on your "interests" section is something like History, you might have trouble connecting with the jock. Vice versa applies as well.

If they see something like Scuba diving, part-time radio DJ, gardening, or something unusual but still "cool" - they'll often want to talk about this and it usually goes well.

What might be most important about this stuff is that it is the time to talk about what interests you - so you'll be less nervous and you'll be able to show that you're likeable and personable. Those are big things that the firm is looking for ---- especially if the interview starts out with the "Oh, I see hear that you were a Little League coach, my kid just had a game last night, blah blah ----" because then you've developed a rapport with them and can move forward to the professional/law stuff easily.

reachforthestars
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby reachforthestars » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ran a sub-.4:30 mile



"Everyone runs a 4:30 mile in high school."

-Once a Runner

Anonymous User
Posts: 273508
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: everything OP said. No religion, no politics, no high school.


If you have an interesting or sophisticated hobby/talent/experience, list it at the bottom of your resume with "other information" (languages,etc. ) . If you've lived abroad for work or anything list that too - just a couple of words under "other info." . I got almost as much mileage out of interesting hobbies as I did out of other "substantive" stuff on my resume. People get bored talking about your experience in law school/summer job all day. If you can get off that beaten path in a way that makes you look intelligent, sophisticated, and worldly, do it.


I completely agree with this. I have a relatively hardcore hobby and listed it on the advice of career services. It generated a ton of positive conversation on callbacks.

tlstlstls73
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby tlstlstls73 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Fantasy football can be a huge hit too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273508
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:21 pm

tlstlstls73 wrote:Fantasy football can be a huge hit too.


No, no no. I was explicitly told this was a major problem with my resume and to take it off my "interests" section. Mostly because older attorneys link it to thinks like "unproductivity" and "gambling". It might play well with younger associates, but not with partners. (Additionally, I was told to take sports stuff off my resume, since I'm female and again, older attorneys can be sexist, but could talk about it if the interviewer asked about my interests or anything not on my resume). If you're a guy, you can put "football" and then talk about it differently depending on if you're talking to a partner or young associate.

BTW, this info came from a mock interview with a practicing attorney, not my school's CSO.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273508
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
tlstlstls73 wrote:Fantasy football can be a huge hit too.


No, no no. I was explicitly told this was a major problem with my resume and to take it off my "interests" section. Mostly because older attorneys link it to thinks like "unproductivity" and "gambling". It might play well with younger associates, but not with partners. (Additionally, I was told to take sports stuff off my resume, since I'm female and again, older attorneys can be sexist, but could talk about it if the interviewer asked about my interests or anything not on my resume). If you're a guy, you can put "football" and then talk about it differently depending on if you're talking to a partner or young associate.

BTW, this info came from a mock interview with a practicing attorney, not my school's CSO.


40-50-year-old partner asked me who was on my fantasy team, even though I had nothing fantasy-related on my resume. Trap, or anecdotal evidence that your opinion may not always be correct?

tlstlstls73
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby tlstlstls73 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
tlstlstls73 wrote:Fantasy football can be a huge hit too.


No, no no. I was explicitly told this was a major problem with my resume and to take it off my "interests" section. Mostly because older attorneys link it to thinks like "unproductivity" and "gambling". It might play well with younger associates, but not with partners. (Additionally, I was told to take sports stuff off my resume, since I'm female and again, older attorneys can be sexist, but could talk about it if the interviewer asked about my interests or anything not on my resume). If you're a guy, you can put "football" and then talk about it differently depending on if you're talking to a partner or young associate.

BTW, this info came from a mock interview with a practicing attorney, not my school's CSO.


40-50-year-old partner asked me who was on my fantasy team, even though I had nothing fantasy-related on my resume. Trap, or anecdotal evidence that your opinion may not always be correct?


Yea, clearly like a lot of things it can be a hit or a miss. I had a thing about winning my FF league and multiple partners (ages ranging from 30-50+) who were interviewing me wanted to talk draft strategy both during the interview and then continuing on into lunch. If you don't want to own it, don't put it down. My resume had substantial WE (with proven impact on revenue and growth) --- so I knew there was no question about me being unproductive.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273508
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:46 pm

tlstlstls73 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
tlstlstls73 wrote:Fantasy football can be a huge hit too.


No, no no. I was explicitly told this was a major problem with my resume and to take it off my "interests" section. Mostly because older attorneys link it to thinks like "unproductivity" and "gambling". It might play well with younger associates, but not with partners. (Additionally, I was told to take sports stuff off my resume, since I'm female and again, older attorneys can be sexist, but could talk about it if the interviewer asked about my interests or anything not on my resume). If you're a guy, you can put "football" and then talk about it differently depending on if you're talking to a partner or young associate.

BTW, this info came from a mock interview with a practicing attorney, not my school's CSO.


40-50-year-old partner asked me who was on my fantasy team, even though I had nothing fantasy-related on my resume. Trap, or anecdotal evidence that your opinion may not always be correct?


Yea, clearly like a lot of things it can be a hit or a miss. I had a thing about winning my FF league and multiple partners (ages ranging from 30-50+) who were interviewing me wanted to talk draft strategy both during the interview and then continuing on into lunch. If you don't want to own it, don't put it down. My resume had substantial WE (with proven impact on revenue and growth) --- so I knew there was no question about me being unproductive.


I also had substantial WE. And won my league last year.
Then maybe the lesson is just don't do it if you're female. :(

tlstlstls73
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby tlstlstls73 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also had substantial WE. And won my league last year.
Then maybe the lesson is just don't do it if you're female. :(


Maybe... That's messed up though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273508
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:03 pm

Hopefully this is obvious, but skip class to do CBs. I was in a position where I had class only 3 days a week, and I thought I could easily schedule CBs (in the city where I attended LS) on those two days over a couple weeks. No. Don't do this. Schedule them all as soon as possible. There are a lot of reasons to do this.

1. lets say you get an offer from one of your first CBs. That offer may run out without time for one of your later interviews. Granted, you should ideally schedule your "most preferred" CBs first, but that list may change AFTER you do your CB interviews.

2. Firms do rolling offers. Many firms meet the day of or the day after a group of CBs to talk about them. Offers go out after that meeting. Once an offer goes out that spot is taken up. Firms are being conservative. They do not want to be stuck with more SAs than they wanted so they are waiting to hear back from people before they offer many (if any) more SAs than their target. Get their early or be last in line. If your CB is late enough you may not even have a shot at an offer no matter how great your credentials or how great the CB went.

3. This is more of a courtesy, but if you know where you want to go, accept that offer and turn down all other offers/withdraw from consideration. It is nice to your fellow classmates who may be waiting on a firm that you only think is your 4th or 5th favorite. I say classmates because these things matter. Firms have a target number of people from a school that they want to get, so it really could mean the difference for a friend of yours. Do it ASAP.

That is all. Good luck.

lawschoolgrapedme
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:11 pm

2 quick thought for next years OCI candidates:

1) go to a t14
2) get good grades
2.5) dont be socially retarded in your interview/callbacks

thats all u need.

User avatar
ExAnt3
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby ExAnt3 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
tlstlstls73 wrote:Fantasy football can be a huge hit too.


No, no no. I was explicitly told this was a major problem with my resume and to take it off my "interests" section. Mostly because older attorneys link it to thinks like "unproductivity" and "gambling". It might play well with younger associates, but not with partners. (Additionally, I was told to take sports stuff off my resume, since I'm female and again, older attorneys can be sexist, but could talk about it if the interviewer asked about my interests or anything not on my resume). If you're a guy, you can put "football" and then talk about it differently depending on if you're talking to a partner or young associate.

BTW, this info came from a mock interview with a practicing attorney, not my school's CSO.


I'll bite. I have fantasy football on my interests section and it came up several times during OCI and callbacks- with associates and senior partners. In fact, during two callbacks I had multiple partners ask me about my fantasy team and draft strategy. It's fine. You're not going to get dinged because you put fantasy football on your resume, unless you spell it wrong.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby keg411 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:41 pm

ExAnt3 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
tlstlstls73 wrote:Fantasy football can be a huge hit too.


No, no no. I was explicitly told this was a major problem with my resume and to take it off my "interests" section. Mostly because older attorneys link it to thinks like "unproductivity" and "gambling". It might play well with younger associates, but not with partners. (Additionally, I was told to take sports stuff off my resume, since I'm female and again, older attorneys can be sexist, but could talk about it if the interviewer asked about my interests or anything not on my resume). If you're a guy, you can put "football" and then talk about it differently depending on if you're talking to a partner or young associate.

BTW, this info came from a mock interview with a practicing attorney, not my school's CSO.


I'll bite. I have fantasy football on my interests section and it came up several times during OCI and callbacks- with associates and senior partners. In fact, during two callbacks I had multiple partners ask me about my fantasy team and draft strategy. It's fine. You're not going to get dinged because you put fantasy football on your resume, unless you spell it wrong.


See below:

Anonymous User wrote:Then maybe the lesson is just don't do it if you're female. :(


ETA: Was supposed to be Anon, but whatever.

User avatar
ExAnt3
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby ExAnt3 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:58 pm

keg411 wrote:
ExAnt3 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
tlstlstls73 wrote:Fantasy football can be a huge hit too.


No, no no. I was explicitly told this was a major problem with my resume and to take it off my "interests" section. Mostly because older attorneys link it to thinks like "unproductivity" and "gambling". It might play well with younger associates, but not with partners. (Additionally, I was told to take sports stuff off my resume, since I'm female and again, older attorneys can be sexist, but could talk about it if the interviewer asked about my interests or anything not on my resume). If you're a guy, you can put "football" and then talk about it differently depending on if you're talking to a partner or young associate.

BTW, this info came from a mock interview with a practicing attorney, not my school's CSO.


I'll bite. I have fantasy football on my interests section and it came up several times during OCI and callbacks- with associates and senior partners. In fact, during two callbacks I had multiple partners ask me about my fantasy team and draft strategy. It's fine. You're not going to get dinged because you put fantasy football on your resume, unless you spell it wrong.


See below:

Anonymous User wrote:Then maybe the lesson is just don't do it if you're female. :(


ETA: Was supposed to be Anon, but whatever.


Oops, that's what I get for skimming.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:12 pm

Bump

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby zomginternets » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:58 am

Blessedassurance wrote:Bump


you bumped a thread that had been posted in 14 minutes beforehand?

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:42 am

zomginternets wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:Bump


you bumped a thread that had been posted in 14 minutes beforehand?


Consider it a synonym for "tag". I like variety.

User avatar
Notor
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 am

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby Notor » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:46 pm

I disagree with OP's comment about high school stuff, given that you are focusing on secondary markets. If you went to the right high school it could be a huge advantage in certain markets, and its just a further way to reinforce your ties. I wouldn't put a huge list of your accomplishments, but a couple of brief lines under "Education" is workable.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273508
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Two quick thoughts for next year's OCI candidates

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:02 pm

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:2 quick thought for next years OCI candidates:

1) go to a t14
2) get good grades
2.5) dont be socially retarded in your interview/callbacks

thats all u need.


Not true, unfortunately. Bad interviewing skills/strategy =/ (necessarily) being socially retarded.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.