How is the job hunt going for people at TT, TTT, TTTTs? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
beach_terror

Platinum

Re: How is the job hunt going for people at TT, TTT, TTTTs?

Post by beach_terror » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:59 am

iceicebaby wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
iceicebaby wrote: And please, relax... there is no sense in attacking people here. We're all going through the same process (me later than you all)... you don't need to get pissy. /participation
You're a 0L lecturing 2Ls and 3Ls on the job market, and your first posts ITT reek of a "holier than thou" arrogance. Not all that surprising that people didn't take kindly to it.
Well I apologize. This was not my intent, nor did I say anything about the job market. My annoyance at my friends complaining all the time that they wish they worked before law school must have rang out. Sorry.

P.S. What, exactly, is the point of this thread? Are you hoping to make fun of TT, TTT, and TTTT kids? Are you hoping that you're not the only one getting raped by the job search? Or do you really just want to know if they are doing better than you? It really seems to be here to stroke some egos... but hey whatever, welcome to TLS I guess.
You're one of those jackasses that can't just say "you're right, I shouldn't be posting here, I'll shut the fuck up and let the thread continue on topic" aren't you?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:To people that have parents or something that will loan them some advertisement money: I dont understand why you dont just open your own firm, advertise in all the right places, and there you go. Sure it might be slow in the beginning, but thats business.
I worked in advertising: legal advertising is worthless. If you want to solo, it's more about who you and your parents know then whether they could lend you money for advertising.

Also, there is little-to-no difference between what happens to those outside the top 10% at most T1's then what happens to those outside the top 10% at TT's. It's just rankings whoring to say otherwise. I doubt the people outside the top 10% at IU-B or Arizona or American are doing better than the kids outside the top 10% at UConn, Temple or Rutgers.

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:41 am

Seriously the amount 1L and 0L posting in the legal employment is annoying. You don't know anything so just lurk and keep your mouth shut.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:59 am

Back on topic... It's a mixed bag here. Some people in the top 30% have offers from Vault firms, a friend in the bottom half with a standing midlaw offer... But some people in the top 30% have nothing. Crapshoot. I'm still searching.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:32 pm

NoleinNY wrote:Back on topic... It's a mixed bag here. Some people in the top 30% have offers from Vault firms, a friend in the bottom half with a standing midlaw offer... But some people in the top 30% have nothing. Crapshoot. I'm still searching.
When you say 30%, do you mean 5%? What school is this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawbanshee

New

Post by lawbanshee » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:45 pm

Seriously the amount 1L and 0L posting in the legal employment is annoying. You don't know anything so just lurk and keep your mouth shut.
Amen to that. I've been admitted to the NY bar since 2003, but got banned from the board for LOL'ing at clowns who think they're handing out DA and gov't jobs like Halloween candy. Bottom line is gov't hiring is basically dead. State DA's and DOJ are slashing attorenys and staffing agencies and offices with volunteer "interns" who are fully licensed and bar admitted.

Also agree that advertsing for solo work is completely pointless. I should know, I spent 2 years and almost 15 K to end up deep in the hole re: ads vs. clients. Ads mostly attract insane tire kickers w/ no money, absurd far-fetched cases, and just general lunatics.

The only effective attorney advertsing is TV commerials for personal injury cases. But you better have a budget of at least 250 K a year in the NYC/NJ market to get in that game. My old firm in NYC ran ads on Ch. 11 WPIX during the day and each time that 30 second ad ran it cost $2500.

Only other ads that work are paying VERY high per click on Google AdWords. But again, the established firms already have a huge war chest and will outbid you every time. If you're not on the first page, you won't get any calls.

This is the worst time in history to launch a solo practice. The economy is in the toilet and most solos are struggling. Couple this w/ the fact that you don't know how to do anything and you have a recipe for failure and disaster.

caputlupinum

Bronze

Post by caputlupinum » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:53 pm

lawbanshee wrote:
Amen to that. I've been admitted to the NY bar since 2003, but got banned from the board for LOL'ing at clowns who think they're handing out DA and gov't jobs like Halloween candy. Bottom line is gov't hiring is basically dead. State DA's and DOJ are slashing attorenys and staffing agencies and offices with volunteer "interns" who are fully licensed and bar admitted.

Also agree that advertsing for solo work is completely pointless. I should know, I spent 2 years and almost 15 K to end up deep in the hole re: ads vs. clients. Ads mostly attract insane tire kickers w/ no money, absurd far-fetched cases, and just general lunatics.

The only effective attorney advertsing is TV commerials for personal injury cases. But you better have a budget of at least 250 K a year in the NYC/NJ market to get in that game. My old firm in NYC ran ads on Ch. 11 WPIX during the day and each time that 30 second ad ran it cost $2500.

Only other ads that work are paying VERY high per click on Google AdWords. But again, the established firms already have a huge war chest and will outbid you every time. If you're not on the first page, you won't get any calls.

This is the worst time in history to launch a solo practice. The economy is in the toilet and most solos are struggling. Couple this w/ the fact that you don't know how to do anything and you have a recipe for failure and disaster.

0L here but I have worked in sales where we paid for "web campaigns" (millions of hits) we used campaigners out of china that were much cheaper than anyone state side

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:56 pm

If I could make a 100k, or better yet trust my ability to make a 100k yr in and yr out without hating my job, I would not go to law school. I work maybe 20-30 hours a week and make around 40-50 now, but it's not like I can just double my work load for double the salary. My roommate makes 70k at Bank of America with an engineering degree with growth potential, at 22 or 23. He works long hours, but only like 45 a week it's def manageable. If I was him, I wouldn't even go to a top-10, but I'm not. I also know people making 30-35 working 50 hours as a paralegal begging to get into a TTT or TTTT, and I just don't get it. Not enough people sit down, and think if I'm going by #'s, what gives law school an even money of being worth it. I think in my situation - making 40-50 all on commission with no salary, and hating it makes law school worth it bec. I'm going to a top 10. I don't know if throwing away 35k a yr locked in to go to a TTTT is worth it, however.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:05 pm

Hey everyone, if you want to post in here, read the thread title. If your post isn't related, then don't post. If you have to preface your post with "0L" or "when I go" then you have no place here, sorry dudes and dudettes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

caputlupinum

Bronze

Post by caputlupinum » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:09 pm

beach_terror wrote:Hey everyone, if you want to post in here, read the thread title. If your post isn't related, then don't post. If you have to preface your post with "0L" or "when I go" then you have no place here, sorry dudes and dudettes.
suck my left tit

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:11 pm

Third tier and headed to a V100. Had over five callbacks at firms that pay at, or near, market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:14 pm

Im at a TT, top 10%, accepted at V50. Job prospects terrible at my school, I would say 5% got an offer from OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:15 pm

iceicebaby wrote:Here's an interesting idea: maybe try to work and get experience in the real world before law school and build connections that will lead to future job(s) regardless of where you end up going?

I did this - mind you not at as paralegal for a year or two at a law firm, but working for several years for a U.S. Congressman during and after undergrad. It's been enormously beneficial in getting interviews and offers both at law firms, and with quasi-legal entities. There are three main ways in which it has become beneficial: (1) Really fantastic recommendations from co-workers and supervisors who know me well. (2) Contacts, and (3) Being able to tell the story of a niche or professional interest that I clearly had before deciding to go to law school.

I am currently at a TT and get mediocre grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:21 pm

Brother at mid-atlantic T1, but for all intensive purposes its a TT for DC (assume Maryland/American/Mason). Top 20%, secondary journal, some work experience. Also, strong interviewer (taught interviewing for HYP undergrad career services dept.). No bites in DC.

ExAnt3

New

Post by ExAnt3 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Brother at mid-atlantic T1, but for all intensive purposes intents and purposes its a TT for DC (assume Maryland/American/Mason). Top 20%, secondary journal, some work experience. Also, strong interviewer (taught interviewing for HYP undergrad career services dept.). No bites in DC.
FTFY

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:30 pm

ExAnt3 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Brother at mid-atlantic T1, but for all intensive purposes intents and purposes its a TT for DC (assume Maryland/American/Mason). Top 20%, secondary journal, some work experience. Also, strong interviewer (taught interviewing for HYP undergrad career services dept.). No bites in DC.
FTFY
Thnx d00d.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Philly TT

Top 3%, LR - 22 screeners, 10 cbs, 3 rejections, 1 offer at my top choice (big 4 DE firm) and withdrew from the rest

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:43 pm

ExAnt3 wrote:
FTFY
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=167343

lol

wh3931110

New

Post by wh3931110 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Philly TT

Top 3%, LR - 22 screeners, 10 cbs, 3 rejections, 1 offer at my top choice (big 4 DE firm) and withdrew from the rest
Mind sharing what firm?

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Top 1/3 at UC Davis. Have a few midlaw offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:07 pm

edited
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wh3931110

New

Post by wh3931110 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:16 pm

congrats

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:26 pm

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote:This argument is dumb and off-topic, and I agree that anonymous user is an asshat. Can we talk about how the job search is going for non-top-law-schools instead of trolling anonymously?
I concur.

T3, Top 10%, LR, 4yrs. of law firm experience before law school. Got a mid-law offer from a different firm for my 2L summer.

My school's OCI is a joke--7 firms interview on campus, 10 firms do resume forward. I got 7 screeners at no call-backs from OCI, 0 responses from resume forward, and 0 responses from 70 firms mass mailed. I lucked out on my offer.
Congrats! How'd you end up with your offer after (apparently?) striking out at OCI and getting no responses from mailing?
Thanks. The offer i got was from an OCI firm. Got an offer a few weeks after the screener without a callback. I know I don't interview particularly well, so it's not like I blew them out of the water. Makes me wonder if I have any long term prospects with them, as I assume they would want to see how I fit with them firm if they planned to invest in me long term.

I should clarify my post, I got one other "callback" at a 10-attorney firm. I spoke with one 3rd year associate for a half hour at the "callback". So I didn't really consider this a 'callback'.. more like an asinine second-screener. I don't understand why he didn't just come and do the OCI himself.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:28 pm

iceicebaby wrote:My point is that if you are a college kid that was told that going straight to a T14 law school from undergrad and getting good grades was enough for BigLaw, well surprise, it isn't anymore (if it ever was).
Actually, good grades from a T14 is more than enough for a biglaw job, even if you're straight through. Not sure where this is coming from. I know loads of people who landed jobs this year with no work experience.

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:33 pm

Based on the anecdotal evidence in this thread, it seems like the legal market is gradually improving. Anyone want to chime in as to whether the market is better/worse than it was a year ago and whether or not it continues to get better/worse?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”