How is the job hunt going for people at TT, TTT, TTTTs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How is the job hunt going for people at TT, TTT, TTTTs?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:14 pm

TTTT top 20% LR, got job at NLJ250

tyro

Postby tyro » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TTTT top 20% LR, got job at NLJ250

Congrats! I would be celebrating with an NLJ250 offer at basically any lower T1 school @ top 20% ITE. The fact that you got one at a T4 school is pretty impressive. Nice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:At the risk of derailing this thread even more, how in the world do you not transfer from a TTT when you're Top 1%?! SERIOUSLY! This would seem like a no brainer to me. Regardless of which TTT you attend, at 1% this is minimum ND/WUSTL/Fordham/UIUC/BC/BU type of transfer stats if not better.

At my TTT, they offer 100% scholarship to those in the top 1%--it's hard to turn down $95k (probably more actually, considering the interest you won't have to pay either). Plus loss of LR (someone said earlier in this thread or another thread that LR was crucial for litigation associates). Moreover, I'm suspect that one's success at the transfer school's OCI will really be that much better (i.e. worth 95k)--the firms interviewing probably see you as a slightly above median student at the new school, so if you're not transferring somewhere that gives median students biglaw jobs, it seems like a waste of money. I've heard an equal number of success stories as I have failure stories from transfer students at OCI.

Same experience here. top 1% at TTT and with substantial undergrad debt, no way in hell I was gonna incur another 100K in debt if I was number one in my class. My TTT has pretty decent OCIs and I got 11 CBs, including v10s all the way to v100s and local firms. My transfer friends have gotten absolutely no love during OCI - it seems there is a transfer stigma. I also love the school I am at and the people here. seemed like a no brainer to me as well.

Poor decision by both posters above. Sacrificing long term gains for short term _______. Transfer here from T1 to CCN ... Treated like a stone scholar... V5 Employment ... Every transfer I know (which there are 40 of us) has a job, and I'd estimate about half are in the v20 and all are v100.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:At the risk of derailing this thread even more, how in the world do you not transfer from a TTT when you're Top 1%?! SERIOUSLY! This would seem like a no brainer to me. Regardless of which TTT you attend, at 1% this is minimum ND/WUSTL/Fordham/UIUC/BC/BU type of transfer stats if not better.

At my TTT, they offer 100% scholarship to those in the top 1%--it's hard to turn down $95k (probably more actually, considering the interest you won't have to pay either). Plus loss of LR (someone said earlier in this thread or another thread that LR was crucial for litigation associates). Moreover, I'm suspect that one's success at the transfer school's OCI will really be that much better (i.e. worth 95k)--the firms interviewing probably see you as a slightly above median student at the new school, so if you're not transferring somewhere that gives median students biglaw jobs, it seems like a waste of money. I've heard an equal number of success stories as I have failure stories from transfer students at OCI.

Same experience here. top 1% at TTT and with substantial undergrad debt, no way in hell I was gonna incur another 100K in debt if I was number one in my class. My TTT has pretty decent OCIs and I got 11 CBs, including v10s all the way to v100s and local firms. My transfer friends have gotten absolutely no love during OCI - it seems there is a transfer stigma. I also love the school I am at and the people here. seemed like a no brainer to me as well.

Poor decision by both posters above. Sacrificing long term gains for short term _______. Transfer here from T1 to CCN ... Treated like a stone scholar... V5 Employment ... Every transfer I know (which there are 40 of us) has a job, and I'd estimate about half are in the v20 and all are v100.

CCN transfer from T1, no job; interviewed with a healthy mix of firms. Same unemployment, extra $100k debt.

Glad it worked out for you; just don't paint it as a risk-free proposition.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to the bread lines.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Transfer here from T1 to CCN ... Treated like a stone scholar...

Might as well just say Columbia...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Wholigan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Transfer here from T1 to CCN ... Treated like a stone scholar...

Might as well just say Columbia...

LOL

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:03 pm

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:I think it is a reflection of the local economy. There is a bit of a recovery in the area that I am in and Mid Law and corporate counsels seems to be hiring. I am not in a big law market. We have about 10 national law firms in the market.

No. Its not. Look at the NLJ 250 go to schools. If you're school isn't on that list then you have no idea what you're talking about. I would bet that its not.
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

Can anyone explain Saint Louis University School of Law being on the Favorites list for Bryan Cave? Pretty sure that school fell out of the top 100 last year?

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:21 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:
KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:I think it is a reflection of the local economy. There is a bit of a recovery in the area that I am in and Mid Law and corporate counsels seems to be hiring. I am not in a big law market. We have about 10 national law firms in the market.

No. Its not. Look at the NLJ 250 go to schools. If you're school isn't on that list then you have no idea what you're talking about. I would bet that its not.

Can anyone explain Saint Louis University School of Law being on the Favorites list for Bryan Cave? Pretty sure that school fell out of the top 100 last year?

Why would you think the hiring folks at Bryan Cave care about USNWR?

Edit: and even if they did care, that class did OCI well over a year ago.

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:33 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
What the f.supp? wrote:
KamaalTheAbstract wrote:

Why would you think the hiring folks at Bryan Cave care about USNWR?

Edit: and even if they did care, that class did OCI well over a year ago.

Because many large firms are prestige whores and USNWR generally gauges that prestige? Big firms (like all firms) seek the best talent they can get, and top talent usually is found at top schools (as defined by USNWR). Yes, there are the not uncommon aberrations such as the top 5% students at lower ranked schools, but presumably not enough to make the school a "favorite" for the firm. Good point though about the OCI being well over a year ago (while it was still in top 100).

Also, WUSTL is just down the street from SLU (which you'd think would be a big competitor for Biglaw jobs in the area).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:00 pm

wusTTTl, top quarter, law review, starbucks

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:14 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:Because many large firms are prestige whores and USNWR generally gauges that prestige? Big firms (like all firms) seek the best talent they can get, and top talent usually is found at top schools (as defined by USNWR). Yes, there are the not uncommon aberrations such as the top 5% students at lower ranked schools, but presumably not enough to make the school a "favorite" for the firm. Good point though about the OCI being well over a year ago (while it was still in top 100).

Also, WUSTL is just down the street from SLU (which you'd think would be a big competitor for Biglaw jobs in the area).
I mean, they dropped out of the 100, all the way to 104. I'd imagine local school are probably less affected by such drops anyways; I doubt Bryan Cave is gonna hire more students from, say, Michigan State just because they cracked the top 100 while SLU dropped out. Hard to imagine the people at the firm really caring about slight one year variations, especially when they have dozens of SLU grads at the firm.

As for WUSTL, yeah, I'd have thought they'd have more, too, but I also would bet the top students at WUSTL would be more likely to have some mobility and wind up in Chicago, etc., while SLU students are most stuck in St. Louis. Just a guess, though.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:17 pm

What the f.supp? wrote:Because many large firms are prestige whores and USNWR generally gauges that prestige? Big firms (like all firms) seek the best talent they can get, and top talent usually is found at top schools (as defined by USNWR). Yes, there are the not uncommon aberrations such as the top 5% students at lower ranked schools, but presumably not enough to make the school a "favorite" for the firm. Good point though about the OCI being well over a year ago (while it was still in top 100).

Eh, a decent portion of the WUSTL class is generally looking for employment outside of STL, and those that are shooting for STL may not have the grades/ties to pull it off. Meanwhile, virtually the entire class at SLU is locked-in to the STL market. So Bryan Cave, being the biggest firm in the city, is free to cherry-pick the top students from SLU's class, who are good students but who do not come with the flight risk sometimes associated with WUSTL. And I imagine this cycle of hiring SLU students just feeds upon itself.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:27 pm

Two separate points:

Anonymous User wrote:It seems there is a transfer stigma.

This is so not true it isn't even funny. I spent so much time freaking out about the "transfer stigma" it screwed up a good portion of my OCI since I handled my interviews totally wrong and was paranoid the entire time. A ton of people ended up outperforming significantly how they would have done at their previous school. However....

Anonymous User wrote:CCN transfer from T1, no job; interviewed with a healthy mix of firms. Same unemployment, extra $100k debt.

Glad it worked out for you; just don't paint it as a risk-free proposition.

If you'll excuse me, I'm off to the bread lines.

This is entirely accurate. Transferring is in NO WAY risk-free and there are definitely instances where it is worth staying over leaving (if you have significant $$$ and are #1 in your class and in your preferred region especially), and there is still a chance of striking out whether you stay or go that is dependent on so many external factors you won't know about until OCI (like interview skills).

Return to “Legal Employment”