How is the job hunt going for people at TT, TTT, TTTTs? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BarbellDreams

Gold

Re: How is the job hunt going for people at TT, TTT, TTTTs?

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:31 pm

At the risk of derailing this thread even more, how in the world do you not transfer from a TTT when you're Top 1%?! SERIOUSLY! This would seem like a no brainer to me. Regardless of which TTT you attend, at 1% this is minimum ND/WUSTL/Fordham/UIUC/BC/BU type of transfer stats if not better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:42 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:At the risk of derailing this thread even more, how in the world do you not transfer from a TTT when you're Top 1%?! SERIOUSLY! This would seem like a no brainer to me. Regardless of which TTT you attend, at 1% this is minimum ND/WUSTL/Fordham/UIUC/BC/BU type of transfer stats if not better.
At my TTT, they offer 100% scholarship to those in the top 1%--it's hard to turn down $95k (probably more actually, considering the interest you won't have to pay either). Plus loss of LR (someone said earlier in this thread or another thread that LR was crucial for litigation associates). Moreover, I'm suspect that one's success at the transfer school's OCI will really be that much better (i.e. worth 95k)--the firms interviewing probably see you as a slightly above median student at the new school, so if you're not transferring somewhere that gives median students biglaw jobs, it seems like a waste of money. I've heard an equal number of success stories as I have failure stories from transfer students at OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:At the risk of derailing this thread even more, how in the world do you not transfer from a TTT when you're Top 1%?! SERIOUSLY! This would seem like a no brainer to me. Regardless of which TTT you attend, at 1% this is minimum ND/WUSTL/Fordham/UIUC/BC/BU type of transfer stats if not better.
At my TTT, they offer 100% scholarship to those in the top 1%--it's hard to turn down $95k (probably more actually, considering the interest you won't have to pay either). Plus loss of LR (someone said earlier in this thread or another thread that LR was crucial for litigation associates). Moreover, I'm suspect that one's success at the transfer school's OCI will really be that much better (i.e. worth 95k)--the firms interviewing probably see you as a slightly above median student at the new school, so if you're not transferring somewhere that gives median students biglaw jobs, it seems like a waste of money. I've heard an equal number of success stories as I have failure stories from transfer students at OCI.
Same experience here. top 1% at TTT and with substantial undergrad debt, no way in hell I was gonna incur another 100K in debt if I was number one in my class. My TTT has pretty decent OCIs and I got 11 CBs, including v10s all the way to v100s and local firms. My transfer friends have gotten absolutely no love during OCI - it seems there is a transfer stigma. I also love the school I am at and the people here. seemed like a no brainer to me as well.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:53 pm

shepdawg wrote:Never heard the term "klansy" before. I can definitely use that in the future?
I honestly just came up with it when I wrote the post. I'll consider a licensing deal with you.

Klansy© is subject to copyright owned by Void™. Any reproduction, retransmission, republication, or other use of all or part of the phrase is expressly prohibited, unless prior written permission has been granted by Void™. All other rights reserved.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 1% TTT LR, WE, but white. Struck out at big law. It was worth a shot.
Did you mass mail or network during the school year?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:55 pm

I am aware of someone at a midwest school (Not T14, T30, or T50) who received an offer from Faegre Baker Daniels (formerly Faegre Benson);. Fret not, big law is definitely NOT out of the picture for those who don't go to T14 or even T50. keep at it- it's all about nailing the callback.

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am aware of someone at a midwest school (Not T14, T30, or T50) who received an offer from Faegre Baker Daniels (formerly Faegre Benson);. Fret not, big law is definitely NOT out of the picture for those who don't go to T14 or even T50. keep at it- it's all about nailing the callback.
You cant get the callback unless you make it through the screener, and the opportunity to even get the screener at these schools is minimal at best. Best be very tippy top of your class.

But yes, all things are possible.

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am aware of someone at a midwest school (Not T14, T30, or T50) who received an offer from Faegre Baker Daniels (formerly Faegre Benson);. Fret not, big law is definitely NOT out of the picture for those who don't go to T14 or even T50. keep at it- it's all about nailing the callback.
That was probably the most useless post in this thread. " I know one person, somewhere, not in the Top 50 that got an offer at an NLJ 250 firm. Anything is possible!" Shut the hell up.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:09 pm

This is called survivors bias. Look, many people did survive the Titanic sinking, so it was entirely possible to survive the Titanic sinking. Its a very bad situation overall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:17 pm

I go to a TT and I am a 1L, but the 2Ls and 3Ls are getting SA's and are getting jobs.

Granted the school is in a bit of a unique position ie there are no other law schools in the market besides TTT and TTTT and the school has been on the rise in the rankings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Because some of us are at one, have little debt, and still received a V100 offer.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:33 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I go to a TT and I am a 1L, but the 2Ls and 3Ls are getting SA's and are getting jobs.

Granted the school is in a bit of a unique position ie there are no other law schools in the market besides TTT and TTTT and the school has been on the rise in the rankings.
I go to Pitt. We dominate our market and have nothing but a TTTT to compete with. With that said, I know multiple people that are top 10% + LR that have nothing lined up.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:47 pm

I think it is a reflection of the local economy. There is a bit of a recovery in the area that I am in and Mid Law and corporate counsels seems to be hiring. I am not in a big law market. We have about 10 national law firms in the market.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:12 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I think it is a reflection of the local economy. There is a bit of a recovery in the area that I am in and Mid Law and corporate counsels seems to be hiring. I am not in a big law market. We have about 10 national law firms in the market.
No. Its not. Look at the NLJ 250 go to schools. If you're school isn't on that list then you have no idea what you're talking about. I would bet that its not.
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:38 pm

I go to a TT and for us, if your top 10% (and on LR by grading on) your in a really good position to get a v100 job-most of us do. Top 15, and you have a shot. Outside that, your pretty screwed for OCI, but I cant speak for 3L's because I dont know how those who struck out at oci are doing...

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:51 pm

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:I think it is a reflection of the local economy. There is a bit of a recovery in the area that I am in and Mid Law and corporate counsels seems to be hiring. I am not in a big law market. We have about 10 national law firms in the market.
No. Its not. Look at the NLJ 250 go to schools. If you're school isn't on that list then you have no idea what you're talking about. I would bet that its not.

Hah bit aggressive aren't we. Most NLJ 250 firms does not mean all. Mid Law is not NLJ 250. From a T2 if you are in the top 10% there is a chance for big law.

But we are talking about jobs here in general not just the elite NLJ 250.....

This being said if I get decent grades I plan on transferring to a school on that list....

cheeseburger

New

Post by cheeseburger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:08 am

jarofsoup wrote:
KamaalTheAbstract wrote:

Hah bit aggressive aren't we. Most NLJ 250 firms does not mean all. Mid Law is not NLJ 250. From a T2 if you are in the top 10% there is a chance for big law.

But we are talking about jobs here in general not just the elite NLJ 250.....

This being said if I get decent grades I plan on transferring to a school on that list....
lol @ elite NLJ 250 firms

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cheeseburger

New

Post by cheeseburger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:10 am

BarbellDreams wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:I go to a TT and I am a 1L, but the 2Ls and 3Ls are getting SA's and are getting jobs.

I go to Pitt. We dominate our market and have nothing but a TTTT to compete with. With that said, I know multiple people that are top 10% + LR that have nothing lined up.
collapse of dat BIGRUSTBELT still being felt

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:33 am

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
I don't know what part of "local economy . . . recovery" is refuted by quoting statistics from a class that did OCI in 2008.

If your point was that a local tier two isn't making it rain for those at/below median, well sure, but that's not the point being made. He was saying things are loosening up a bit, in one region, for a school without much competition, at local firms. That's not too outrageous a claim.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:24 pm

TTTT, LR, top 15%, non-URM
Accepted SA offer at Midwest NLJ250 this week

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:30 pm

TT. Top 15%, secondary journal, moot court, some WE. Struck out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:32 pm

TTTT top 20%, prior related work experience (T&E). V100 offer, not NYC

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TTTT top 20%, prior related work experience (T&E). V100 offer, not NYC
WTF?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:TTTT top 20%, prior related work experience (T&E). V100 offer, not NYC
WTF?
+1. Gotta be something else involved here. Diversity or that WE being absolutely top notch.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:25 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
WTF?
+1. Gotta be something else involved here. Diversity or that WE being absolutely top notch.
Non NYC V100 can mean precisely jack shit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”