How is the job hunt going for people at TT, TTT, TTTTs? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Void

Silver

Re: How is the job hunt going for people at TT, TTT, TTTTs?

Post by Void » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:Based on the anecdotal evidence in this thread, it seems like the legal market is gradually improving. Anyone want to chime in as to whether the market is better/worse than it was a year ago and whether or not it continues to get better/worse?
What is it about this thread that makes people want to get off-topic? What is it about this thread that attracts clueless 0L's?

Use the search function. There are 100,000 threads dedicated to the desperate speculation of whether the legal market is improving or declining.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Wholigan wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:My point is that if you are a college kid that was told that going straight to a T14 law school from undergrad and getting good grades was enough for BigLaw, well surprise, it isn't anymore (if it ever was).
Actually, good grades from a T14 is more than enough for a biglaw job, even if you're straight through. Not sure where this is coming from. I know loads of people who landed jobs this year with no work experience.
Agreed. It seems like everyone I know on LR at my TT has a biglaw offer and most of these people went straight through.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wholigan wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:My point is that if you are a college kid that was told that going straight to a T14 law school from undergrad and getting good grades was enough for BigLaw, well surprise, it isn't anymore (if it ever was).
Actually, good grades from a T14 is more than enough for a biglaw job, even if you're straight through. Not sure where this is coming from. I know loads of people who landed jobs this year with no work experience.
Agreed. It seems like everyone I know on LR at my TT has a biglaw offer and most of these people went straight through.
Most people at my TT that are on LR have at least an NLJ250 offer. Diversity candidates are absolutely cleaning up as well. Diversity candidates at median are getting offers from firms who wouldn't even give me a screener.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:40 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Most people at my TT that are on LR have at least an NLJ250 offer. Diversity candidates are absolutely cleaning up as well. Diversity candidates at median are getting offers from firms who wouldn't even give me a screener.
That's true at all schools, not just tier twos.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:15 am

Top 1% TTT LR, WE, but white. Struck out at big law. It was worth a shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:06 am

romothesavior wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:Back on topic... It's a mixed bag here. Some people in the top 30% have offers from Vault firms, a friend in the bottom half with a standing midlaw offer... But some people in the top 30% have nothing. Crapshoot. I'm still searching.
When you say 30%, do you mean 5%? What school is this?
I don't know the exact rank, although I know one is not in the Top 10% (otherwise he/she would've taken an LR grade on spot.) Another may be Top 10%. Loyola LA. I am not painting in a rosy picture and saying all people in those ranges are getting $$$$$$ jerbs, just offering a little anecdotal evidence. There are probably a good amount at the top with disappointing OCI results.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Top 1% TTT LR, WE, but white. Struck out at big law. It was worth a shot.
Way to subtly blame your problems on your race, bro. :roll:

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:28 am

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 1% TTT LR, WE, but white. Struck out at big law. It was worth a shot.
+1

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:49 am

Void wrote:
From earlier in the thread:
Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:TT, Median, LR, WE, IP, URM, V100...
The quadfecta!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:01 am

seatown12 wrote:
Void wrote:
Grizz wrote:
The quadfecta!
What does that have to do with anything

BEAST_mode

Bronze

Post by BEAST_mode » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:17 am

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:01 am

newyorker88 wrote:
Void wrote:
+1
+1. If you were top 1% and couldn't get a firm, you can either blame it on your shitty school, or more likely on your interview skills or personality.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:02 am

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:
seatown12 wrote:
Void wrote:
Grizz wrote:
The quadfecta!
What does that have to do with anything
Also this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:57 am

romothesavior wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Most people at my TT that are on LR have at least an NLJ250 offer. Diversity candidates are absolutely cleaning up as well. Diversity candidates at median are getting offers from firms who wouldn't even give me a screener.

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:25 pm

seatown12 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Dude what is your fucking point. Enough with this coy act of quoting other people it's not clever. No one said that diversity candidates don't get a boost. That's obvious. What everyone is saying is that this guy is top 1% so he should look to either his decision to go to a shitty school or a complete lack of social graces for his situation. The URMs with job offers are the least of his problems.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:53 pm

KamaalTheAbstract wrote:Dude what is your fucking point. Enough with this coy act of quoting other people it's not clever. No one said that diversity candidates don't get a boost. That's obvious. What everyone is saying is that this guy is top 1% so he should look to either his decision to go to a shitty school or a complete lack of social graces for his situation. The URMs with job offers are the least of his problems.
I think you're confusing two different posters (BarbellDreams with the top 1% TTT guy). But yeah, I do agree with you... if you can't get a job in the top 1%, then you're either doing it wrong or your school is atrocious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:
KamaalTheAbstract wrote:Dude what is your fucking point. Enough with this coy act of quoting other people it's not clever. No one said that diversity candidates don't get a boost. That's obvious. What everyone is saying is that this guy is top 1% so he should look to either his decision to go to a shitty school or a complete lack of social graces for his situation. The URMs with job offers are the least of his problems.
I think you're confusing two different posters (BarbellDreams with the top 1% TTT guy). But yeah, I do agree with you... if you can't get a job in the top 1%, then you're either doing it wrong or your school is atrocious.
This would be true. I knew someone at a TTTT, top 10% but probably not top 1%, not a URM, no family ties and average personality, who got a V100 after 1L and again after 2L.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

seatown12

Silver

Post by seatown12 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:59 pm

This guy didn't say that being white was the one reason he didn't get a job, you all put those words in his mouth. In light of the fact that race has been previously discussed in this topic and generally acknowledged as a relevant factor in hiring I don't think his mention of his own race was out of line. I think the response to his post has been unfair and in some cases hypocritical. The fact that people are now questioning that guy's social skills is ridiculous.

Let's move on.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:06 pm

Damn TLS is very race conscious today. I'm actually not surprised TTT top 1% struck out either. The legal economy just sucks that much.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:11 pm

seatown12 wrote:This guy didn't say that being white was the one reason he didn't get a job, you all put those words in his mouth. In light of the fact that race has been previously discussed in this topic and generally acknowledged as a relevant factor in hiring I don't think his mention of his own race was out of line. I think the response to his post has been unfair and in some cases hypocritical. The fact that people are now questioning that guy's social skills is ridiculous.

Let's move on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:16 pm

1% TTT white guy here. :D
My failure to land a big law job was definitely due to the TTT on my resume. Only one big firm even came to OCI here. I applied to upwards of 230 places. My interview skills are impressive, but I only got to interview with a couple firms. Not saying I won't get a job. Just that the job won't be making $130+ to start. Also, I don't think being white hurt me. The 2L URM's at my school struck out too, even though many of them were handed $20+/hr 1L internships with big firms or giant corporations.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawbanshee

New

Post by lawbanshee » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:28 pm

Couple sweet small-law gigs:

--LinkRemoved--

and

--LinkRemoved--

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1% TTT white guy here. :D
My failure to land a big law job was definitely due to the TTT on my resume. Only one big firm even came to OCI here. I applied to upwards of 230 places. My interview skills are impressive, but I only got to interview with a couple firms. Not saying I won't get a job. Just that the job won't be making $130+ to start. Also, I don't think being white hurt me. The 2L URM's at my school struck out too, even though many of them were handed $20+/hr 1L internships with big firms or giant corporations.
It's your subtle wordsmithing that's irking me. First it was the "but white," which implied "I have great credentials, but I'm white, so I didn't get an offer." If you had said "Top 1%, TTT, WE, Non-URM" it would have been different, because you'd be missing the "but."

Similarly, your use of the word "handed" in this post convinces me that you are, in fact, a teeny bit klansy. Just sayin'.

KamaalTheAbstract

Bronze

Post by KamaalTheAbstract » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:38 pm

Void wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1% TTT white guy here. :D
It's your subtle wordsmithing that's irking me. First it was the "but white," which implied "I have great credentials, but I'm white, so I didn't get an offer." If you had said "Top 1%, TTT, WE, Non-URM" it would have been different, because you'd be missing the "but."

Similarly, your use of the word "handed" in this post convinces me that you are, in fact, a teeny bit klansy. Just sayin'.
+1 and lmao at the term "klansy". Yeah dude I'm sorry. You go to a TTT. The game was rigged from the beginning.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Never heard the term "klansy" before. I can definitely use that in the future?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”