OK to split even if firm discourages it?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OK to split even if firm discourages it?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:36 pm

The firm that I have accepted an offer from for this summer "discourages" students from splitting summers. It's an 8 week program, which leaves approximately 5 weeks to work at another firm. I have received an offer from a second firm that would like me to work for the last five weeks of the summer. The people at the second firm are great and really seem to like me as well. They specifically said that, even though their program is usually 6 weeks, I could choose whatever schedule I like because they want to offer the job to me. If I decide to accept the second firm's offer for the last few weeks of the summer, is this something I necessarily need to tell my first half firm about, or is it ok not to mention it unless they ask? Should it matter that the first firm discourages splitting?

KMaine

Re: OK to split even if firm discourages it?

Postby KMaine » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:41 pm

I think what they are probably discouraging is doing fewer than 8 weeks with their firm. I would probably clarify this with them, just to stay on the best possible terms with both firms.

existenz

Postby existenz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:52 pm

If their program is 8 weeks and you do the 8 weeks, I don't see why it is a problem. Who are they to keep you from making $$ in the rest of your summer.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Agree with both of the above posts. I don't think it'll be an issue. Maybe let them both know to be on good terms, but they shouldn't stop you.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:37 pm

It should be fine since you'll be completing the full summer program at the first firm. However, you will eventually need to tell them if you accept a full-time offer, since they'll be doing a full conflict check. You should therefore just tell them now, especially if its feasible that the firms maybe represent opposite parties in a case/deal (since you'll want to be screened off of that case).

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:33 pm

As long as you are completing the full program at the first firm without any accommodation in scheduling from them, it's probably fine. I can't decide if I would tell them or not; I can think of good arguments both ways. My inclination is not to tell them.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:02 pm

I probably wouldn't go out of my way to tell them, but if they ask casually what you're doing the rest of the summer, I wouldn't hide or be evasive about it either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:47 pm

Not OP, but same deal. Looking for more opinions. Drawback to fitting in a 5/6 week after completing the full 8 at another firm? Firms being in different markets change this calculus?

Return to “Legal Employment”