Which Firm? Poll

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Best Firm?

Potter Anderson
7
19%
Jones Day- Cleveland
24
67%
Ungaretti & Harris
5
14%
 
Total votes: 36

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Which Firm? Poll

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:26 pm

Which would you choose for general litigation with no geographic preference?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which would you choose for general litigation with no geographic preference?


OP here: any input as to why?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Which would you choose for general litigation with no geographic preference?


OP here: any input as to why?


not the person who voted for JD, but it has a very strong lit dept and the exit options coming out of Jones Day will be much better than out of any of the other two. however, you should consider where you want to be. if it's the east coast, than pick Potter Anderson. If you want midwest, I would go JD.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:03 pm

How well is Potter regarded on the east coast?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:23 pm

Anybody have input on how Jones Day Cleveland compares to Mayer Brown or Latham Chicago?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:48 pm

East coast:

Potter?

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby Renzo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:50 pm

I voted for the one I've heard of. Consider it a natural outgrowth of the Vault rankings.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:01 pm

So Potter doesn't have much of a reputation on the East Coast?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby keg411 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So Potter doesn't have much of a reputation on the East Coast?


Did a quick Chambers search to see if I could help you out.

Potter's litigation practice is VERY specialized to Delaware. It isn't a "general lit" practice. It's a Chancery practice. Now, if that's what you want, then I wouldn't fault you for going there.

At Jones Day, you get the standard General Commercial Litigation (including antitrust, white collar, general commercial lit, etc). According to Chambers they are #1 for this in Ohio and it's a super strong practice there.

The last one... I have no clue what it is and I couldn't find it on Chambers.

Basically, pick where you want to go. I don't think most people on here know enough about these firms/offices to make a sound decision; whereas you went through the interview process at all of these and got offers, so you probably know a bit more what you're looking for.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby showNprove » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:43 pm

keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So Potter doesn't have much of a reputation on the East Coast?


Did a quick Chambers search to see if I could help you out.

Potter's litigation practice is VERY specialized to Delaware. It isn't a "general lit" practice. It's a Chancery practice. Now, if that's what you want, then I wouldn't fault you for going there.

At Jones Day, you get the standard General Commercial Litigation (including antitrust, white collar, general commercial lit, etc). According to Chambers they are #1 for this in Ohio and it's a super strong practice there.

The last one... I have no clue what it is and I couldn't find it on Chambers.

Basically, pick where you want to go. I don't think most people on here know enough about these firms/offices to make a sound decision; whereas you went through the interview process at all of these and got offers, so you probably know a bit more what you're looking for.

Potter Anderson has a large commercial litigation practice. Obviously, given the importance of corporate litigation in Delaware, the Chancery practice is foremost, but there is an opportunity to practice general commercial litigation, if that is your interest.

That being said, Jones Day is the best firm in Ohio and has a national reputation. If you're worried about prestige and exit options, go with Jones Day. If you want quality of life with good work and pay, go with Potter.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:32 pm

showNprove wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So Potter doesn't have much of a reputation on the East Coast?


Did a quick Chambers search to see if I could help you out.

Potter's litigation practice is VERY specialized to Delaware. It isn't a "general lit" practice. It's a Chancery practice. Now, if that's what you want, then I wouldn't fault you for going there.

At Jones Day, you get the standard General Commercial Litigation (including antitrust, white collar, general commercial lit, etc). According to Chambers they are #1 for this in Ohio and it's a super strong practice there.

The last one... I have no clue what it is and I couldn't find it on Chambers.

Basically, pick where you want to go. I don't think most people on here know enough about these firms/offices to make a sound decision; whereas you went through the interview process at all of these and got offers, so you probably know a bit more what you're looking for.

Potter Anderson has a large commercial litigation practice. Obviously, given the importance of corporate litigation in Delaware, the Chancery practice is foremost, but there is an opportunity to practice general commercial litigation, if that is your interest.

That being said, Jones Day is the best firm in Ohio and has a national reputation. If you're worried about prestige and exit options, go with Jones Day. If you want quality of life with good work and pay, go with Potter.


speaking of exit options..does anyone know what the exit options are like from one of the Big 4 Delaware firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:36 pm

I knew somebody in the Cleveland Jones Day office. Didn't seem like a bad place and you get decent work. Biggest downside is having to live in Cleveland, which is just one of the worst places in the country to have to live. I would personally choose Ungaretti just for the location, but since you don't seem to have a preference for location, JD it is.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:24 am

Did you receive a Potter offer, OP? If so, do you mind sharing when you receieved the offer and how long after the CB it was? Thanks very much.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:35 pm

OP, did you make a decision?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Yes, Jones Day

hawkeye22
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: Which Firm? Poll

Postby hawkeye22 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did you receive a Potter offer, OP? If so, do you mind sharing when you receieved the offer and how long after the CB it was? Thanks very much.


I did not actually have an offer from Potter, just a CB. Wound up disliking the firm and wouldn't consider it if I got an offer. I formed the poll initially to try to decide if I should even take the CB.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.