Help me choose a firm (round 2)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm?

Proskauer (NJ)
27%
Jones Day (NY)
73%

Total votes: 33

Anonymous User

Re: Help me choose a firm (round 2)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Blindmelon wrote:I'd go for Prosk. personally. While JD is a better name overall, its a bloated massive firm in which you may get that lost feeling as you said. It seems like you want to be in Jersey, and the COL difference will be decent enough to warrant a difference in pay (assuming its not huge). I'm biased though, as I wouldn't want to work in Manhatten (too annoying/expensive).

Something also to think about, if you work at Prosk, you will be able to do employment stuff - you may not be able to at JD. If JD's employment group is 20 people, they may not want new associates and there may not be enough work for another person. Just because a firm does a type of work, doesn't mean that you can do that work there.

As far as pay difference, Proskauer increases at 5K increments, whereas Jones Day has the black box system that still pays most people market anyway. So by the 3rd year, a JD associate is making 185K, whereas the NJ person is making 155. So it certainly isn't an entirely insignificant difference, though the COL of Jersey is obviously much lower.

Interesting point about getting into the labor & employment group. I will get in touch with the people I met to find out how easy it is to break into the group. Jones Day doesn't assign people to groups until about a year into their career with the firm, so I'd imagine that, if you spend most of your year forming connections with that particular group and it really matches your interests, they will bring you in. But needs of the firm would obviously trump all. So I will def look into this.

And its more that I am entirely fine with Jersey, rather than a particularized desire to be there. I'm intentionally framing the issue of geography as a neutral issue on which I have no opinion, and thats pretty reflective of reality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:19 pm

@Blindmelon

I called JD today to ask about the point you made (i.e. what are the chances of actually ending up in the labor and employment group after the one "undeclared" year that new JD associates go through). They said something like 90% of the people get the groups they want since they build up relationships over the summer + 1st year of practice, and as long as the work product is satisfactory, they are almost always taken on. They made it sound like the only people who don't get the groups they want are people who underperform such that the group decides not to take them on, and rare situations in which a group just doesn't have enough work to bring in anyone new. Labor and employment doesn't seem like the kind of group that is ever lacking in work, and I would like to think that my work product will be of satisfactory quality as I come to know people in the group and form a connection.

I'm looking to have this decision finalized within a day or 2, so I'm looking for any last minute considerations (though I feel I may have reached the limit of how much info I will have, and just have to man up and decide)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:14 pm

Got new round of responses from lawyer-friends and they all said go JD in order to try out other things before I commit to one area. The more I hear this, the more its getting through to me. Unless I have some change of heart overnight, I think I'm calling JD tomorrow to accept.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got new round of responses from lawyer-friends and they all said go JD in order to try out other things before I commit to one area. The more I hear this, the more its getting through to me. Unless I have some change of heart overnight, I think I'm calling JD tomorrow to accept.

Congrats on the decision man! JD is a great firm and your reasoning sounds smart (theres not a wrong decision here).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Just called JD, so its official now. Also called a few people at Proskauer, and was so relieved that they encouraged me to stay in touch and left open the possibility for perhaps seeing what happens in the future (i.e. im just glad they didn't blacklist me). So I feel very relieved. Good luck to all those still waiting/deciding.

Return to “Legal Employment”