The Value of Moot Court?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

The Value of Moot Court?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:26 pm

I have a moot court brief due today that I don't want to write. It's a dumb establishment/endorsement case; I get the law in this area (what of it there is to get), but it's just so amorphous and contentless, analytically, that I doubt I'd win. There is a chance though, I'm probably a better writer and advocate than a majority of the participants. So assuming there's some real chance of my doing well, should I bother? I'm a 3L with a COA clerkship but no firm job; I'd like to work in an appellate boutique or a strong appellate practice group of a big firm. Not sure how much moot court is really valued in hiring; one would think it would be valued a bit more for that type of work.

Anonymous User

Re: The Value of Moot Court?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:14 pm

Get off TLS and do your work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:20 pm

But would it actually help with anything? I don't get why moot courts are always establishment cases. You don't need a lawyer to argue what a reasonable observer would think some cross somewhere means, you could get a glib man off the street for that. Moot courts ought to be about an issue of statutory interpretation, not some completely up-for-grabs b.s.

dood

Postby dood » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:27 pm

--LinkRemoved--

funny, interesting, and valid read by j. kozinski

kwais

Postby kwais » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:50 pm

If I may hijack this thread briefly, can any 2Ls (or beyond) speak to the value of specialty moot courts for OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:53 pm

kwais wrote:If I may hijack this thread briefly, can any 2Ls (or beyond) speak to the value of specialty moot courts for OCI?

Winning things always helps, but it's way down the line as far as importance. If nothing else, it can be a conversation starter or a signal of your interest in a practice area (though don't get too specific with this, generally).

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Employers want to know if applicants will work hard & stay focused, in addition to intelligence. Successful moot court participants tend to satisfy all three requirements in addition to being competitive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:32 pm

Well, I'm glad to hear it's not a big deal, because I submitted my brief 20 minutes late.

Return to “Legal Employment”