Where are the best District Attorney's Offices in US?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gasja_tearo

Where are the best District Attorney's Offices in US?

Postby gasja_tearo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:50 am

Other than Manhattan's DA, does anyone know where the best DA offices are? I don't have any geographical limitation because my family is no longer here in the US. By best, I mean getting training with the most ethical lawyers on a variety of interesting cases, and in a good work environment. How and where can I gauge this type of information?

BarbellDreams

Re: Where are the best District Attorney's Offices in US?

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:21 pm

Define "best".

Most competitive offices are Manhattan and San Francisco.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Manhattan DA's office is pretty much one of the worst choices you could make, you must not be from NY or familiar with NY at all. Anyway, I interned at the Bronx DA's office which was great. You'll definitely get a lot of experience since it was has the worst crime rate in NYC. In terms of training I know they have a felony trial training program for ADAs before they graduate to trying felony cases. I'm not sure of the extent of training before that. Work environment? It's a very fast pace environment. In terms of gathering information about DA's offices, I'd say definitely look at their website, information about them in the press, and websites like this are a good way to get the inside scope.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Largest are State Attorney's offices in Chicago & Manhattan NYC District Attorney, if I recall correctly.The Manhattan DA's office is well known & highly respected for financial white collar crimes. Positions in the Manhattan DA's office are sought after by grads from even the top law schools. Strong interest in bilingual candidates, especially Spanish-English.

P.S. "Best" DA's offices may depend upon your interests. An above poster noted that the Bronx DA's office is highly respected for many types of felonies, while the Wall St. Manhattan DA's office earns substantial respect for financial crimes. A larger office may offer more in-depth training opportunities in specific areas of law, while smaller DA offices may offer more exposure to different areas of law.

P.P.S. I would avoid the Perugia, Italy prosecutor's office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:58 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:
P.S. "Best" DA's offices may depend upon your interests. An above poster noted that the Bronx DA's office is highly respected for many types of felonies, while the Wall St. Manhattan DA's office earns substantial respect for financial crimes. A larger office may offer more in-depth training opportunities in specific areas of law, while smaller DA offices may offer more exposure to different areas of law.

Previous anon poster here, yeah, from what I've heard from the people that work there the work is pretty boring, it's rare that they get something "interesting," which of course is highly subjective. If you're interested in financial stuff than you might love it. Just be aware though that you most likely won't be working on triple homicides, car jackings, etc. the traditional criminal stuff. I think a lot of people hear the word Manhattan and think cool exciting stuff like they see on TV shows i.e. Law & Order, Castle, Blue Boods etc. Just be aware the Manhattan DA's office is not that.

gasja_tearo

Postby gasja_tearo » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:32 pm

Last edited by gasja_tearo on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:41 am

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:04 pm

I've summered at the San Francisco DA's Office and had a mixed experience. They assign you to different divisions from the get go. I got lucky and was assigned to the homicide unit. There was a range of really exciting murders. By "exciting," I meant complex and involving a lot of drama and story just like on Law & Order. However, I didn't get much feedback on my legal writing. The homicide unit itself had about 10 attorneys, which meant that resources was limited. For me, the office was a little bit too small. I've heard that the Los Angeles DA's Office is much larger than the SFDA's Office though. So I'd consider LADA if size is a factor.

zot1

Postby zot1 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:06 pm

If you're a white male, you would love the Orange County District Attorney's Office.

Return to “Legal Employment”