Please help me choose.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273138
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Please help me choose.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:05 am

Hi TLSers,

I'm choosing between Davis Polk(NY), W&C, and WilmerHale (DC)

I'm interested in a 50-50 mix of appellate and white collar litigation. I prefer DC, but NY would be okay. Out of the three, I felt a better connection with the people at WilmerHale. I didn't click with the people at Williams, but I reallize that it is a great firm. I didn't dislike anyone, but I just didn't feel "at home" there.

As for my short/long term goals, I'd like to get the best clerkship possible, and after a few years in private practice, I'd like to do a stint as a trial lawyer somewhere in DOJ and then return to private practice. I want to chose a firm that makes this most likely to happen.

Which firm would you pick and why?

Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273138
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Please help me choose.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi TLSers,

I'm choosing between Davis Polk(NY), W&C, and WilmerHale (DC)

I'm interested in a 50-50 mix of appellate and white collar litigation. I prefer DC, but NY would be okay. Out of the three, I felt a better connection with the people at WilmerHale. I didn't click with the people at Williams, but I reallize that it is a great firm. I didn't dislike anyone, but I just didn't feel "at home" there.

As for my short/long term goals, I'd like to get the best clerkship possible, and after a few years in private practice, I'd like to do a stint as a trial lawyer somewhere in DOJ and then return to private practice. I want to chose a firm that makes this most likely to happen.

Which firm would you pick and why?

Thanks!


Since you prefer DC and want to split your time between appellate and white collar, go to Wilmer. W&C is a great firm, but it isn't the only place that will help you get a good clerkship and allow you to practice at a high level. Some people will probably think that you should go with the most prestigious firm. Even so, as someone who had the options you listed, I think that if your resume is good enough for W&C it will be good enough to get you the kind of things you want in the future. You don't need W&C to do it, and it sounds like you are more excited about Wilmer.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Please help me choose.

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi TLSers,

I'm choosing between Davis Polk(NY), W&C, and WilmerHale (DC)

I'm interested in a 50-50 mix of appellate and white collar litigation. I prefer DC, but NY would be okay. Out of the three, I felt a better connection with the people at WilmerHale. I didn't click with the people at Williams, but I reallize that it is a great firm. I didn't dislike anyone, but I just didn't feel "at home" there.

As for my short/long term goals, I'd like to get the best clerkship possible, and after a few years in private practice, I'd like to do a stint as a trial lawyer somewhere in DOJ and then return to private practice. I want to chose a firm that makes this most likely to happen.

Which firm would you pick and why?

Thanks!


Since you prefer DC and want to split your time between appellate and white collar, go to Wilmer. W&C is a great firm, but it isn't the only place that will help you get a good clerkship and allow you to practice at a high level. Some people will probably think that you should go with the most prestigious firm. Even so, as someone who had the options you listed, I think that if your resume is good enough for W&C it will be good enough to get you the kind of things you want in the future. You don't need W&C to do it, and it sounds like you are more excited about Wilmer.


+1. WH is amazing for gov. enforcement and one of the very best appellate firms out there. W&C is definitely more prestigious, but I don't think theres a big opportunity cost of one v. the other. Both W&C and WH have strong ties to the gov. and with your creds. I doubt you would have much trouble moving over to the gov. in the future from either. If Republicans take the next election though, moving will be a little more difficult, but WH is moving away from the liberal bend a bit and picked up a good amount of former GWB administration attorneys.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273138
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Please help me choose.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:06 am

I'd agree w/WH unless you are planning on applying for a clerkship right away. If that's the case, go W&C for slightly smaller / more prestigious / better chance of bonding w/partners (and I believe more $ but could be wrong)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273138
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Please help me choose.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:11 am

For your stated career goals, you should probably pick W&C. In the long-term, it's going to get you more looks in DOJ/USAO. In the short-term, it's going to get your app pulled for "better" COA judges (feeders, D.C. cir, etc). Many judges (mine included) use perceived firm selectivity as a filter for competitive candidates, especially from schools without explicit rankings. They know that W&C is about as selective as it gets when it comes to biglaw, so they assume your grades are stellar and your app is competitive. The other two don't carry that same weight in chambers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273138
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Please help me choose.

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd agree w/WH unless you are planning on applying for a clerkship right away. If that's the case, go W&C for slightly smaller / more prestigious / better chance of bonding w/partners (and I believe more $ but could be wrong)


I am. And I was wondering about the difference between WC & WH in a clerkship application.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Please help me choose.

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd agree w/WH unless you are planning on applying for a clerkship right away. If that's the case, go W&C for slightly smaller / more prestigious / better chance of bonding w/partners (and I believe more $ but could be wrong)


I am. And I was wondering about the difference between WC & WH in a clerkship application.


I'm not completely sold that W&C tangibly helps your chances on a clerkship application. Particularly among moderate or left-of-center judges, there are an astoundingly large number of former/future WH associates. At 500 Pearl (in New York) WH was unquestionably better represented than any other firm, usually by an order of magnitude. I understand W&C is smaller, but WH is probably the archetype of a revolving door to the judiciary and government (at least during democratic administrations).

I'm also not so sure about the whole "W&C as a proxy for selectivity" bit. I'll defer to the previous poster since he works for a judge currently, but three points: (1) The vast, vast majority of people who get "better" COA jobs get them through faculty referrals, (2) WH DC is almost as selective as W&C, and plenty of people choose other DC firms over W&C (ex. 1: GTLR), so I don't see how it's a proxy for quality, and (3) why use firm as a proxy for grades when you can just turn the page and skim someone's grades?

I think you could reasonably go with either firm, but I don't think this should be a big factor (if at all) in your decision.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.