Finding Small-law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Finding Small-law

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:59 pm

Biglaw and Midlaw are easy to find on NALP and even the Leadership Directories. Where would one look for Small-law firms that would actually consider hiring SAs? CSO knows nothing in this regard nor is there a useful database of firms that have hired from our school in the past.

kaiser

Gold

Re: Finding Small-law

Post by kaiser » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Biglaw and Midlaw are easy to find on NALP and even the Leadership Directories. Where would one look for Small-law firms that would actually consider hiring SAs? CSO knows nothing in this regard nor is there a useful database of firms that have hired from our school in the past.
Search on Martindale. You can filter it to search for small firms. Whether they hire SA's is anyone's guess, and you will have to search individual websites and make calls to find that out. But Martindale gives you a starting point for at least finding out the names of small firms in your desired markets.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:48 pm

Just email small firms in areas you want to work at. It's what I've done, and everyone has been very polite / helpful in replying. Most don't take summers or won't decide until early 2012, but now and then you get a surprise.

But even places that don't take summers have offered suggestions, people to talk to, etc.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:48 pm

kalvano wrote:Just email small firms in areas you want to work at. It's what I've done, and everyone has been very polite / helpful in replying. Most don't take summers or won't decide until early 2012, but now and then you get a surprise.

But even places that don't take summers have offered suggestions, people to talk to, etc.
This.

Also, keep in mind that it's probably still very early for small firms to be thinking about their needs 7 or 8 months from now so you might get a lot of silence if you send out tons of emails now. I've heard that December/January is a better time, at least in my market.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Void wrote:Also, keep in mind that it's probably still very early for small firms to be thinking about their needs 7 or 8 months from now so you might get a lot of silence if you send out tons of emails now.

I've gotten plenty of positive responses. I'm not sending out my resume, just asking if they hire summer people, and if so, when would be appropriate to apply. Pretty much everyone has answered with either no we don't, or please send us your info in X month. It's nice to know because then you can build a list for later on.

Also, some have said they aren't sure when / if they will be hiring, but they like my initiative and to go ahead and send them info. That has led to a couple good things as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”