V50 over V10 - Crazy?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

V50 over V10 - Crazy?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:24 pm

So I accepted a V50 over a V10 (both in NYC) The reason was simple: After the callback (V50) it just felt right. It was a very hard decision since the V10 is a great firm, but I just went with my gut.

Do you think this was a bad decision? Is a V10 significantly better than V50?

Anonymous User

Re: V50 over V10 - Crazy?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:26 pm

Its a silly question to ask without more detail and its going to be subjective to the person. What things do you value? What kind of work do you want to do? What work environment do you see yourself succeeding in? These are some of the questions that are crucial to deciding whether it is crazy or not. For most people, it would probably come out as crazy, but there is no objectively right or wrong decision.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:02 pm

I am a 1L so I am really not qualified to answer this question but I wanted to pass along something I heard recently. I know someone who was an associate at a V40 before he went solo about five years ago. I asked him if he ever talked to people doing call backs and he said near the end of his time (he spent a little over six years with the firm) he was an integral part of the interview process at his particular office.

I asked him how intense or scary the interview process was and he said it varied by applicant. His firm's strategy was to recruit the over qualified candidates and make them feel at home and test the candidates who were less qualified or on the bubble. Don't get me wrong they were nice to all the candidates but they really tried to hard to recruit the ones that may have had another offer at a more prestigious firm. He told me some stories that sounded like they borderline lied about their practice areas and work life during the call backs with the well qualified candidates.

Maybe none of that is new information but I just think you should think about this from the perspective of the firms. The reason you felt that way after the call back may have been by design. There is no guarantee that you will feel that way while working there.
Last edited by shoeshine on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:05 pm

First of all, you already made the decision, so there is absolutely no use in thinking this way. Second, you went to a firm that felt right to you. And if your experience matches the comfort that helped you make your decision, then you will be happy there. And if you are happy there, then who cares what it would be like at other places?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:19 pm

I was not a over-qualified applicant. I was just below the median (of a lower end of Top 14 school).

And I know I made the decision, but since I am new to TLS, I was wondering what is the consensus between a V50 and V10. I was unaware of all the TLS info, until recently. Maybe that is why I chose a V50 over V10.

Now I am kinda worrying I made the bad decision (after I read some threads).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:53 pm

You're the NYC version of me. I did basically the same thing you did (V30 over a V15) but in DC.

I have regretted it almost daily but I am certain that I will one day laugh at myself for feeling this way. I picked the less prestigious firm because I knew a lot of people there and had a major mentor steer me there because she spent a great deal of time there and was a star. The other firm is arguably more prestigious (though probably not in my practice area) and is probably more stable, and probably better known nationally (though my firm is well known too).

The whole thing has been a great lesson in figuring out what really matters. I labored over the choice for a while and finally made the call when I finally had a strong compulsion to pick one over the other. Of course, moments after making the call, I felt like I may have done the wrong thing. I can only assume that I would have had regrets either way. If I had never gotten the v15 offer and just gone with the v30, I would have been tickled pink. It's almost worse, in a way, to have the choice because then you get all of these irrational fears that you made the wrong choice.

My thinking on the matter has been almost 100% tied to what I read on TLS and other internet sites. When I read the internet, I feel like I did the wrong thing. When I am away from the internet, I feel like I did the right thing. Only time will tell whether it was right or wrong. But keep one thing in mind- those on the internet will not know the intricacies of your unique situation and your thought process. Sure, all things being equal, pick the v10 over the v50. All things are never equal, however. You had a reason for picking the one you chose, you need to trust that. I also doubt that the "exit options" are going to be demonstrably better at the v10 than the v50 as long as you do good work at the v50. You had the goods to get the v10 offer in the first place, my guess is that you could get something similar again if you wanted it sometime down the road.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:09 am

I chose my V10 over a V20. I had the same fears, as I clicked with everyone at the V20 and felt a strong connection to them. Years later, I don't regret my choice. All my friends at that V20 hate the firm and feel betrayed that the firm portrayed themselves so differently. And, it turns out they didn't fulfill some of the promises they made to me when I was deciding. Your experience may be different, but just be warned that a recruiter's job is precisely to make the candidate feel "at home" and to have a "strong connection." They do this not just by being personable people, but also by putting candidates in front of attorneys that are similarly personable.

At the end of the day, I started on time. Associates at the V20 didn't, and they weren't compensated accordingly. Associates at the V20 had their summer program shortened even more. My firm has done and continues to do extremely well in this economy, while the V20 will almost surely layoff many attorneys the second the double-dip happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:I chose my V10 over a V20. I had the same fears, as I clicked with everyone at the V20 and felt a strong connection to them. Years later, I don't regret my choice. All my friends at that V20 hate the firm and feel betrayed that the firm portrayed themselves so differently. And, it turns out they didn't fulfill some of the promises they made to me when I was deciding. Your experience may be different, but just be warned that a recruiter's job is precisely to make the candidate feel "at home" and to have a "strong connection." They do this not just by being personable people, but also by putting candidates in front of attorneys that are similarly personable.

At the end of the day, I started on time. Associates at the V20 didn't, and they weren't compensated accordingly. Associates at the V20 had their summer program shortened even more. My firm has done and continues to do extremely well in this economy, while the V20 will almost surely layoff many attorneys the second the double-dip happens.

+1.

Gut feelings may or may not be accurate, but offer rates are cold hard data: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/summer-o ... 5-are-hot/

--ImageRemoved--

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:I chose my V10 over a V20. I had the same fears, as I clicked with everyone at the V20 and felt a strong connection to them. Years later, I don't regret my choice. All my friends at that V20 hate the firm and feel betrayed that the firm portrayed themselves so differently. And, it turns out they didn't fulfill some of the promises they made to me when I was deciding. Your experience may be different, but just be warned that a recruiter's job is precisely to make the candidate feel "at home" and to have a "strong connection." They do this not just by being personable people, but also by putting candidates in front of attorneys that are similarly personable.

Any chance you can tell me which V20 firm this is? I'm considering a V20 firm, and I'd love to you. I made this a non-anon post so that you can PM me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:33 am

Why would you post this? To make the OP feel worse?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Its not like he is posting about OP's firm, but yeah this info could only make OP feel worse (and once again goes back to my point that this entire discussion could only do no good for OP)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:37 am

kaiser wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Its not like he is posting about OP's firm, but yeah this info could only make OP feel worse (and once again goes back to my point that this entire discussion could only do no good for OP)

I think it could actually do the OP some good, the earlier post from the person in the same situation is somewhat helpful. People will always choose the v10 over the v50 because that is what they have been programmed to do from day 1- bes schools, best firms, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Just giving a contrary perspective. If you have a problem with it, go follow Stalin or some shit.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:

OP started a thread: V50 over V10 - Crazy? What does he want? People to pat him on the back for being a rebel?

Return to “Legal Employment”