Satellite office work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Satellite office work

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:03 pm

This might be a dumb question, but how you can you figure out specifically what work a small satellite office does? In this case its a 30+ people satellite office in a small city of a big NYC firm. I know chambers and partners is a start, but in my case there are more than one office in the same state.

de5igual

Re: Satellite office work

Postby de5igual » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:05 pm

nalp? or just search through the firm's website? since there's only 30 or so people in the office you're interested in, it shouldn't take too long just reading through the bios to figure out what exactly the office does.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:10 pm

NALP. It should give the breakdown by practice area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:15 pm

I work in a satellite office of a highly ranked firm.

I think one of the best ways that you can figure out what they do is by going to Chambers and looking up the partners that work in that office. Even if the firm isn't ranked on Chambers for a particular area, which is often the case because Chambers tend to focus on reputation within a particular city as opposed to reputation writ large, many of the partners might be ranked individually. My firm, for example, has over half of the partners ranked by Chambers even though none of the individualized practices are. This can give you insight into what they do.

Second, you should ask about staffing on cases. Associates in satellite offices might get staffed primarily on cases coming from the main office or they might get staffed primarily within the satellite office. This is important to know because it will relate to the experience that you'll get when working at that office.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This might be a dumb question, but how you can you figure out specifically what work a small satellite office does? In this case its a 30+ people satellite office in a small city of a big NYC firm. I know chambers and partners is a start, but in my case there are more than one office in the same state.

So this is Skadden Wilmington?

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:10 pm

f0bolous wrote:nalp? or just search through the firm's website? since there's only 30 or so people in the office you're interested in, it shouldn't take too long just reading through the bios to figure out what exactly the office does.

Yup. Look at what most of the partners are specializing in and you'll get an idea.

Return to “Legal Employment”