3Ls without a job lined up

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
boaltrising3l
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Re: 3Ls without a job lined up

Postby boaltrising3l » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:56 pm

As top 20% boalt, with same stats as you man, I'm sure someone will hire us at some point. The fact is all the opportunities now are a waste of time, it's funny to hear that a median GULC student (only about 400 GULC students still available) is still looking. The positions Moonshine suggests are unrealistic.

PMF- They have 10,000 applicants, nuff said.
Gov Honors- Around 500 applicants a position.
Policy- Thousands of people graduating from policy school who are far more desirable for this work.
Small firms- These places are not going to hire 12 months in advance let alone three months.
Big/Mid Law- Instant ding, first question I got in any of these interviews is why I didn't work at a firm and thus must be public interest.

At this point, the reality is nobody is going to get a position in one of these openings. They are looking for top 10%/LR, or past Biglaw experience or its pretty instant ding.

You are going to need to create a position for yourself by convincing a small midsized firm they could use you NOW, not in 12 months.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273395
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3Ls without a job lined up

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:11 pm

CLS 3L, median after 1L and Stone after 2L, made some very bad bidding mistakes and just was generally a pretty mediocre candidate without anything to catch the hiring committee's eye.

I did a few callbacks this year through networking, resume drops and 3L OCI and have been rejected at all but one. I've received no word from clerkships or government other than some clerkship rejections. I did consulting interviews last year and was rejected but am probably going to try again. I really do not want to work public interest, I didn't come to law school to do that and have no interest in the clients or work.

What really sucks is how hypersensitive I am to anything related to job-hunting or jobs in general. Like professors joke about how we'll all be working for big law firms making 160K and I'm tempted to scream at them. I almost punched a classmate who was being an obnoxious twat (such as going around a table in front of some 2Ls and asking what we all thought our favorite firm summer event was after knowing that I didn't work at a firm during the summer.) Then there are the people who talk very cavalierly about having jobs, like, "oh I'll just do my three years at a firm and then do something I really want to do," or the people that weren't satisfied with V20 firm A that paid 160K and were at 3L OCI trying to trade up to a V5. It's very frustrating and I'm starting to think this law school thing was a bad idea because I don't see any other options right now. All this is making me a terrible person to be around generally. Career services here has a terrible reputation and I'm not sure they could help even if they were competent.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: 3Ls without a job lined up

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CLS 3L, median after 1L and Stone after 2L, made some very bad bidding mistakes and just was generally a pretty mediocre candidate without anything to catch the hiring committee's eye.

I did a few callbacks this year through networking, resume drops and 3L OCI and have been rejected at all but one. I've received no word from clerkships or government other than some clerkship rejections. I did consulting interviews last year and was rejected but am probably going to try again. I really do not want to work public interest, I didn't come to law school to do that and have no interest in the clients or work.

What really sucks is how hypersensitive I am to anything related to job-hunting or jobs in general. Like professors joke about how we'll all be working for big law firms making 160K and I'm tempted to scream at them. I almost punched a classmate who was being an obnoxious twat (such as going around a table in front of some 2Ls and asking what we all thought our favorite firm summer event was after knowing that I didn't work at a firm during the summer.) Then there are the people who talk very cavalierly about having jobs, like, "oh I'll just do my three years at a firm and then do something I really want to do," or the people that weren't satisfied with V20 firm A that paid 160K and were at 3L OCI trying to trade up to a V5. It's very frustrating and I'm starting to think this law school thing was a bad idea because I don't see any other options right now. All this is making me a terrible person to be around generally. Career services here has a terrible reputation and I'm not sure they could help even if they were competent.



Yup. Go to a t1, so not quite the same thing, but professors sometimes make jokes about how law expensive law school is/how you don't learn anything substantive and I want to kill them.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: 3Ls without a job lined up

Postby sullidop » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:36 pm

Why is everyone counting out Biglaw? At BCLS a few firms solicited resumes, interviewed Dec-Feb and hired a few unemployed 3Ls. If it's happening at BC, I bet it happens at a t14.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273395
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3Ls without a job lined up

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:35 pm

HalfEmptyGlass wrote:Same boat, same boat. Top 25% at MVP. Struck out at 2L OCI and did not summer at a firm (I finished my first year at the median and had no other relevant skills or traits to compensate). My grades have obviously been strong since then and I thought that, even though 1L grades are king, my strong upward trend and (quite decent) overall class standing would count for something. Apparently not.

Firms - did not get any interviews with the small handful of firms at 3L OCI, mailed over 100 on the east coast (where my fiance is and where we *thought* we were going to be establishing ourselves) and in the midwest (where I have ties). Nothing.

Clerkships/Gov't - applied to ~120 federal judges, mostly in flyover states (because I thought I would have a "realistic" shot there). Nothing. Plus at least 50 or so state judges on state high and intermediate courts. Nothing. Not really interested in government, but have been applying anyway when I see an opening. Nothing.

I'm glad others are expressing the "relax and wait till after the bar" sentiment because I'm about to throw in the towel as well - out of sheer frustration/exhaustion. Sometimes I'm just in complete disbelief. Even though I know these are unprecedented economic times, etc., etc., it still feels bizarre after years of doing things I thought were insulating me from the very situation I now face.

What the **** are we going to do?


this is my situation too. granted, my school is a shithole in comparison (T30), but i'm top 5%/LR. grades weren't as good 1L year and i was shut out of biglaw. i applied to firms and a million federal judges earlier this semester and have heard nothing, except for a few oscar rejections.

i don't even want to try anymore, but what choice do i have?

User avatar
Mick Haller
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: 3Ls without a job lined up

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Oh ok, and is it mostly the top 50% of the class (that get offers)?


Seems like a necessary but insufficient condition to be in the top 5-25% of your class. Unless you are URM or have connections, then your chances are probably slightly better.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: 3Ls without a job lined up

Postby Danteshek » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:08 pm

LLS 3L, doing some work for a qui tam solo.

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: 3Ls without a job lined up

Postby Oban » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Maybe some unemployed students can band together and start a firm/coop. My friend got hit by a bus last week and I bet If I had passed the bar she'd have let me take the case, it's an open and shut win win case. That would be the first case and I could start building a rep. I have plenty of friends with legal issues, but can't afford lawyers. I'm not saying it would be easy but you can't just hang your self(or maybe you can...), you have to take some risks and maybe create a job if you can't find one.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273395
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3Ls without a job lined up

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:51 pm

I'm surprised to hear T14 estimates as to % of 3L class with jobs lower than even 50%. At Penn, % of class with jobs is extremely high -- 70-80% I'd guess. Honestly feels like everyone has one...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273395
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3Ls without a job lined up

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm surprised to hear T14 estimates as to % of 3L class with jobs lower than even 50%. At Penn, % of class with jobs is extremely high -- 70-80% I'd guess. Honestly feels like everyone has one...


wow, penn sounds awesome! i bet you're glad u didn't get into Columbia, like the poster above, now.

KamaalTheAbstract
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:04 am

Re: 3Ls without a job lined up

Postby KamaalTheAbstract » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm surprised to hear T14 estimates as to % of 3L class with jobs lower than even 50%. At Penn, % of class with jobs is extremely high -- 70-80% I'd guess. Honestly feels like everyone has one...


wow, penn sounds awesome! i bet you're glad u didn't get into Columbia, like the poster above, now.

Sarcastic comments under the veil of anonymity is for pussies.

sperry
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:52 pm

Re: 3Ls without a job lined up

Postby sperry » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm surprised to hear T14 estimates as to % of 3L class with jobs lower than even 50%. At Penn, % of class with jobs is extremely high -- 70-80% I'd guess. Honestly feels like everyone has one...



I think it's probably 70% at most. People don't tend to go around advertising that they don't have jobs lined up.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273395
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3Ls without a job lined up

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:33 am

FWIW, I just had a friend, non-URM (though with some pre-law school WE, a rather intense in-house externship, and top Ivy for undergrad) land a job at a v50 last Friday. He graduated jobless from his T25 this past May. I don't know his rank/grades stats since it's rude to ask for that type of information from someone who is clearly struggling. He also comes from a modest, non-lawyer background, so there was no nepotism going on. This is to say that it is still possible to land BigLaw even very late in the game. I'm happy for him. He worked his ass off to land this great opportunity.

I know, one happy anecdote does not make a pattern. But there are outliers.

boaltrising3l
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:20 pm

Re: 3Ls without a job lined up

Postby boaltrising3l » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:CLS 3L, median after 1L and Stone after 2L, made some very bad bidding mistakes and just was generally a pretty mediocre candidate without anything to catch the hiring committee's eye.

I did a few callbacks this year through networking, resume drops and 3L OCI and have been rejected at all but one. I've received no word from clerkships or government other than some clerkship rejections. I did consulting interviews last year and was rejected but am probably going to try again. I really do not want to work public interest, I didn't come to law school to do that and have no interest in the clients or work.

What really sucks is how hypersensitive I am to anything related to job-hunting or jobs in general. Like professors joke about how we'll all be working for big law firms making 160K and I'm tempted to scream at them. I almost punched a classmate who was being an obnoxious twat (such as going around a table in front of some 2Ls and asking what we all thought our favorite firm summer event was after knowing that I didn't work at a firm during the summer.) Then there are the people who talk very cavalierly about having jobs, like, "oh I'll just do my three years at a firm and then do something I really want to do," or the people that weren't satisfied with V20 firm A that paid 160K and were at 3L OCI trying to trade up to a V5. It's very frustrating and I'm starting to think this law school thing was a bad idea because I don't see any other options right now. All this is making me a terrible person to be around generally. Career services here has a terrible reputation and I'm not sure they could help even if they were competent.


Feel you completely. The worst is when fellow students ask you what you are doing after school, and then follow it up by acting all shocked that you don't have a job. Thankfully, there are quite a few unemployed people here who I can talk to.

Also, for the profs, I think they are just out of touch and still assume that everyone at school who wants biglaw gets it. It's tough when you go to class and everything is prefaced with "when you are working with your high profile clients making 160k," when your client may very well be the next person in line at Starbucks.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.