Cred of Delaware?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cred of Delaware?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:05 pm

I'm considering accepting an offer at one of the leading Delaware firms. I'm not sold on Delaware as a place to live and I might want to go to a different city one day (soon?). Well, Delaware does seem to pay very well - and is in the hub of corporate work. My question is, if I work at this firm, will this look particularly good on my resume for the purpose of lateraling one day? For instance, if I wanted to work in St. Louis (completely hypothetically), would firms positively assess the fact that I did corporate work in Delaware? Or would it be, similarly, like doing midlaw in any other middle market?

PeanutHead

Re: Cred of Delaware?

Postby PeanutHead » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:29 pm

Delaware, assuming you are doing corporate and looking to lateral into a place with a relevant corporate practice, is not viewed at all like just another middle market. I would say that your experience in Delaware would be looked at very favorably.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:33 pm

PeanutHead wrote:Delaware, assuming you are doing corporate and looking to lateral into a place with a relevant corporate practice, is not viewed at all like just another middle market. I would say that your experience in Delaware would be looked at very favorably.

Why would this be the case? Bankruptcy perhaps, but I would disagree on corporate work. Few of the DE firms get the truly big work from companies incorporated there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:36 pm

IrwinM.Fletcher wrote:
PeanutHead wrote:Delaware, assuming you are doing corporate and looking to lateral into a place with a relevant corporate practice, is not viewed at all like just another middle market. I would say that your experience in Delaware would be looked at very favorably.

Why would this be the case? Bankruptcy perhaps, but I would disagree on corporate work. Few of the DE firms get the truly big work from companies incorporated there.

That's not true for corporate litigation, although it is at least somewhat true for transactional work. RLF, MNAT, YCST, and PAC are lead counsel or co-counsel in just about every big corporate litigation matter filed in Delaware.

To the OP's point: Yes, it would look favorably on your resume. But if you plan to someday go to a market like St. Louis, where they practice more commercial litigation than corporate, I would try to get as much experience as possible in matters that focus on contract disputes.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutHead

Postby PeanutHead » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's not true for corporate litigation, although it is at least somewhat true for transactional work. RLF, MNAT, YCST, and PAC are lead counsel or co-counsel in just about every big corporate litigation matter filed in Delaware.

Correct.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:47 pm

OP here, thanks for the comments. Very very helpful

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's not true for corporate litigation, although it is at least somewhat true for transactional work. RLF, MNAT, YCST, and PAC are lead counsel or co-counsel in just about every big corporate litigation matter filed in Delaware.

Fair enough, I was definitely referring to the transactional side.

Return to “Legal Employment”