If you know any firm ANYWHERE that's still hiring, post ITT

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: If you know any firm ANYWHERE that's still hiring, post ITT

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Where did you hear about Young Basile still looking for people?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:24 pm

weil ny is looking for a patent person with computer science background

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Anyone hear out of Reed Smith (DC), Fulbright & Jaworski (DC), or Greenberg Traurig (anywhere)?

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:04 pm

I interviewed with Reed Smith during OCI and have heard nothing. I'm assuming the ding got lost in the mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I interviewed with Reed Smith during OCI and have heard nothing. I'm assuming the ding got lost in the mail.

Yeah I had a CB with them in Sept and they said early October re: decisions...then said 2 weeks or less....still nada....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump. Anyone hear out of Reed Smith (DC), Fulbright & Jaworski (DC), or Greenberg Traurig (anywhere)?

bump

I called Reed Smith DC to ask if still looking for candidates - was told they have completed hiring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

bump

I called Reed Smith DC to ask if still looking for candidates - was told they have completed hiring.

Hmm I wonder if they have 3 accepted offers already -or if they are just not looking for any more people to CB. If the former, would've been nice to get a rejection letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:53 pm

looks like MWE in Chicago's still looking...my T10 just added a resume collect for them today (and they came to our OCI, too). looks like they're looking for people for their IP lit and antitrust practice groups.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

bump

Rejection from Fulbright by email today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

bump

Rejection from Fulbright by email today

+1 to Fulbright ding

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

bump

Hmm I wonder if they have 3 accepted offers already -or if they are just not looking for any more people to CB. If the former, would've been nice to get a rejection letter.

Seems like they dont respond in the west coast either. 2 months after CB I emailed to get an update. A week later I got a form rejection

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:00 pm

Mayer Brown Hong Kong is looking for someone. Not clear whether they want language.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:looks like MWE in Chicago's still looking...my T10 just added a resume collect for them today (and they came to our OCI, too). looks like they're looking for people for their IP lit and antitrust practice groups.

Thanks! What tech background is MWE Chicago looking for?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:45 pm

Bredhoff & Kaiser (DC) just posted an ad at my t10.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:looks like MWE in Chicago's still looking...my T10 just added a resume collect for them today (and they came to our OCI, too). looks like they're looking for people for their IP lit and antitrust practice groups.

Thanks! What tech background is MWE Chicago looking for?

for the IP position it looks like they want an organic chem background (the "ideal candidate" would have this qualification, anyway). the antitrust position isn't as strict, though they prefer someone with some form of consulting background. not sure how picky they can be at this stage in the game, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bredhoff & Kaiser (DC) just posted an ad at my t10.

Did they give an email in the ad or just their mailing address?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:25 am

Almost every top 30 firm I know is still hiring. I'm a patent guy, and almost no1 cares about the patent bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Almost every top 30 firm I know is still hiring. I'm a patent guy, and almost no1 cares about the patent bar.

Uh, you have to be eligible to take the patent bar in order to become a patent attorney. Just sayin'.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Almost every top 30 firm I know is still hiring. I'm a patent guy, and almost no1 cares about the patent bar.

Uh, you have to be eligible to take the patent bar in order to become a patent attorney. Just sayin'.

No, you don't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:48 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No, you don't.

Yes, you do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_attorney
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_attorney#United_States

"Both Patent Attorneys and Patent Agents are generally required to have a technical degree (such as engineering, chemistry or physics) and must take and pass the USPTO registration examination (officially titled Examination for Registration to Practice in Patent Cases Before the United States Patent and Trademark Office)."

End of story.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:00 pm

My question is how directly does a patent lawyer have to work on patent cases. Why couldn't 5 patent lawyers focus on technical issues while cheaper litigators handle the litigation details. Is this how patent firms work?

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:05 pm

"Both Patent Attorneys and Patent Agents are generally required to have a technical degree (such as engineering, chemistry or physics) and must take and pass the USPTO registration examination (officially titled Examination for Registration to Practice in Patent Cases Before the United States Patent and Trademark Office)."

Nope. I know attorneys who practice patent law and haven't taken the patent bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:15 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:

Nope. I know attorneys who practice patent law and haven't taken the patent bar.

Then they're practicing without a license (or, they're doing the work under the supervision of a licensed patent attorney who signs his name on it).

I have a hunch that you're confusing the terms "patent attorney" and "IP litigator." Anybody can litigate patent-related cases without taking the patent bar. You absolutely cannot prosecute patent applications with the PTO without taking the patent bar.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:18 pm

Anybody can litigate patent-related cases without taking the patent bar. You absolutely cannot prosecute patent applications with the PTO without taking the patent bar.

I agree with this. But the problem is that you act like the latter is significant. There are plenty of people who litigate patent-related cases without having taken the patent bar, and whose practice does not involve patent prosecution. In fact, I know many patent lawyers who try to avoid patent prosecution altogether.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My question is how directly does a patent lawyer have to work on patent cases. Why couldn't 5 patent lawyers focus on technical issues while cheaper litigators handle the litigation details. Is this how patent firms work?

At IP boutiques, the majority of attorneys, even the litigators, have substantially technical backgrounds.

At GP firms, patent attorneys must have a technical background, whereas the litigators may or may not have technical backgrounds. However, the trend is towards hiring IP litigators with technical backgrounds. All of the firms I went on CBs with, and the firm I will be SAing with next summer, told me that it is a huge selling point to have a technical background, even for lit.

Return to “Legal Employment”