Did not take 2L SA offer, any chance w/them down the road?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273192
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Did not take 2L SA offer, any chance w/them down the road?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:30 pm

I had an absurdly difficult decision between two firms and took one over the other. If I don't have a good experience this summer, is there any chance of going to the other firm down the road a bit (say 3L OCI, pre-clerkship SA, or 1-3 yrs in) or are you pretty much screwed for turning them down before? Very curious about this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273192
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Did not take 2L SA offer, any chance w/them down the road?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:45 pm

Not at all screwed. It's very common to turn one firm down and then go to work for them later. This would be different if you had a negative impression on them--seemed rude or dismissive. But, provided you were friendly and diplomatic in your comments to the firm during and after your decision, it shouldn't hurt you at all.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Did not take 2L SA offer, any chance w/them down the road?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had an absurdly difficult decision between two firms and took one over the other. If I don't have a good experience this summer, is there any chance of going to the other firm down the road a bit (say 3L OCI, pre-clerkship SA, or 1-3 yrs in) or are you pretty much screwed for turning them down before? Very curious about this.


I don't think you're screwed. Of the options you mentioned, I think 3L OCI is the most likely.

I know someone who turned down a firm during 2L OCI, then reinterviewed and got an offer during 3L OCI. Similarly, I know someone who summered at a firm, ended up going somewhere else after school, then did a clerkship 2 years out and ended up returning to the summer firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273192
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Did not take 2L SA offer, any chance w/them down the road?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:18 pm

OP here:

Very interesting on both fronts, thank you for the replies. My one concern is that I want litigation and the firm typically hires for its transactional practice at 3L OCI and not lit but that isnt always the case. The 28 day rule is dumb. Wish I would have had until December like the good ol days, might have changed my decision.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273192
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Did not take 2L SA offer, any chance w/them down the road?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:06 am

I had a similar decision, and made sure to explicitly leave the door open. In response, I was told to keep the second firm in mind for next year.

A 2L SA job is just a 2L SA job. Or at least I keep telling myself that in order to prevent myself from pulling my hair out like I was essentially doing while I was actually weighing the decision.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Did not take 2L SA offer, any chance w/them down the road?

Postby KMaine » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:20 am

I agree with the above, except to say that going to the firm 1-3 years into practice is probably the most likely scenario.

viking138
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Did not take 2L SA offer, any chance w/them down the road?

Postby viking138 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:51 am

I think the likelihood of it happening depends on the firm's needs next fall, but I was shocked by how many 3Ls deciding on firms who I met during offer dinners/receptions through the process. I met at least 6 choosing between my firm and other V10 firms for post-3L. So it's definitely possible.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273192
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Did not take 2L SA offer, any chance w/them down the road?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:43 pm

I am a 3L who'll be starting next october at a firm i turned down for 2L SA. It really happens. Just make sure that you let them know how difficult your decision was and that you really liked them. i decided between three last year, and the one i liked the most/talked to about my decision the most took me right back without even a real interview. the other jilted firm just asked that i resend my updated transcript and resume and never got back to me (although, 1 - they had a new legal recruiter from the one last year who expressly told me they'd like me to keep in touch and that they hired 3Ls; and 2 - i wasn't nearly as in touch with them about my decision while I was making it as I was with the other one).




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.