Top Choice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Top Choice

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:47 pm

There was a firm (lets call it firm A), which I saw as my top choice. They had many things that I was looking for, and I really liked all the people I met with. I went for a CB there, and made it a point to note that Firm A is a my top choice for a number of reasons. But about 2 weeks later, I had yet to receive a decision from Firm A, and I went to visit Firm B. I didn't realize it at the time, but Firm B is even stronger in my prospective area of interest, and I felt an even better intangible "fit" than I did at Firm A (which isn't something I could have figured out based on research alone). Firm A just recently made me an offer, and I am very happy about it. But I have yet to hear from Firm B. My question is, am I obligated to take Firm A's offer since, at the time of the visit, it really was my top choice, even though I now think Firm B would be an overall better fit (assuming I get an offer from B)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Top Choice

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:51 pm

no, you're not obligated to take any offer. Call firm B to tell them you have another offer but would really like to hear from them before making a decision.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Top Choice

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:no, you're not obligated to take any offer. Call firm B to tell them you have another offer but would really like to hear from them before making a decision.


Oh yeah, timing is not an issue. Firm B said I will have my decision by early next week, regardless of what that decision happens to be. I was just more concerned about the ethics or "morals" of telling Firm A that they are my top choice, and then not accepting an offer from them. I know its frowned upon, but I can't imagine it being held against me years down the road.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Top Choice

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:no, you're not obligated to take any offer. Call firm B to tell them you have another offer but would really like to hear from them before making a decision.


Oh yeah, timing is not an issue. Firm B said I will have my decision by early next week, regardless of what that decision happens to be. I was just more concerned about the ethics or "morals" of telling Firm A that they are my top choice, and then not accepting an offer from them. I know its frowned upon, but I can't imagine it being held against me years down the road.


I told a firm I would accept if offered. The firm still told me I had 28 days to decide and I should feel comfortable using it. I accepted before we got off the phone, as I intended to, but doubtful it would have hurt me to think about it and reject it if I so desired.

Saying they are your top choice doesn't mean you will accept if offered. It would only be disingenuous and immoral if you went around telling every firm that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273566
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Top Choice

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:no, you're not obligated to take any offer. Call firm B to tell them you have another offer but would really like to hear from them before making a decision.


Oh yeah, timing is not an issue. Firm B said I will have my decision by early next week, regardless of what that decision happens to be. I was just more concerned about the ethics or "morals" of telling Firm A that they are my top choice, and then not accepting an offer from them. I know its frowned upon, but I can't imagine it being held against me years down the road.


I told a firm I would accept if offered. The firm still told me I had 28 days to decide and I should feel comfortable using it. I accepted before we got off the phone, as I intended to, but doubtful it would have hurt me to think about it and reject it if I so desired.

Saying they are your top choice doesn't mean you will accept if offered. It would only be disingenuous and immoral if you went around telling every firm that.


I hear ya. I definitely wasn't going around saying this to every firm. I said it to Firm A in complete honesty, and it was only when I visited Firm B that I said to myself "wow, this is even better than I expected it to be". Plus, Firm B is pretty much the best large firm for my practice area of interest. I feel like, as long as I am sincere with the firms, they will be understanding. So if I get an offer from Firm B, I would be entirely honest with Firm A, and politely explain that Firm B is just more in line with what my long-term goals are, but that I really appreciated all the consideration Firm A gave me. Ok, this eases my mind a bit.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.