Sopranos Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Neil Mink, Esq.

New

Sopranos Law

Post by Neil Mink, Esq. » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:58 am

For fans of the hit HBO-series The Sopranos, any idea of how one goes about making a career out of defending mobsters? Are there real jobs in this field? I know they mentioned the RICO act quite frequently on the show, so I assume you would need to be familiar with federal racketeering law. I think one of the lawyers on the show was a graduate of Cardozo, so perhaps it's not really about where you went to school. Personally, I don't think Tony and gang would feel comfortable around any ivy-league educated lawyers.

I know this sounds kind of ridiculous, but I truly am curious as to what kind of jobs one might find in this field. I bet the pay isn't bad either. Any ideas?

Gold

Re: Sopranos Law

Post by 20121109 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:04 am

Nice job of alting.

DON'T YOU HAVE ANY MONEY?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:06 am

I actually worked for and know people who did this, but I'm gonna be as unhelpful as possible.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:08 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
HE WAS BORN AND BRED FOR SUCCESS AND ACHIEVEMENT

somethingsome

New

Post by somethingsome » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:13 am

Deleted
Last edited by somethingsome on Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:19 am

Sirhcyam wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Nice job of alting.

Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with "alting." Because of a silly thread I created that most people found entertaining, I am no longer taken seriously and no one answers my questions. To get something out of this board, I created a new name. I don't see what's wrong with that. Can someone please answer my question, or at least allow me to create a new name?
If you want a new name you formally ask for one via PM to one of the mods. You failed to adhere to the proper procedure, so I banned your alt. Our policy is articulated in this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=146657

I suggest we continue this conversation via PM.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:21 am

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:22 am

Even if you get a new name we're still going to know it's you every time there is a thread that mentions New Jersey and includes something about how "it's not about where you went to school"

somethingsome

New

Post by somethingsome » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:27 am

Deleted
Last edited by somethingsome on Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:41 am

MODS = GODS

And pretty smart and intuitive too. I assume they can see IPs but one would have to suspect an alt beforehand.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:46 am

Sirhcyam wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Even if you get a new name we're still going to know it's you every time there is a thread that mentions New Jersey and includes something about how "it's not about where you went to school"
The school thing wasn't really the point of this thread. I just wanted to know your opinion of this kind of legal field. The only reason I mentioned Cardozo was because that was where one of the lawyers on the show went to school. Are you guys willing to answer my questions or no?
It's not where you go to school, it's who you know.

edit: you're looking for a justification to go to Cardozo, so knock yourself out.
Last edited by Grizz on Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:49 am

Grizz wrote:I actually worked for and know people who did this, but I'm gonna be as unhelpful as possible.
I'm so happy my morning started with reading this post

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:57 am

Neil Mink, Esq. wrote:For fans of the hit HBO-series The Sopranos, any idea of how one goes about making a career out of defending mobsters? Are there real jobs in this field? I know they mentioned the RICO act quite frequently on the show, so I assume you would need to be familiar with federal racketeering law. I think one of the lawyers on the show was a graduate of Cardozo, so perhaps it's not really about where you went to school. Personally, I don't think Tony and gang would feel comfortable around any ivy-league educated lawyers.

I know this sounds kind of ridiculous, but I truly am curious as to what kind of jobs one might find in this field. I bet the pay isn't bad either. Any ideas?
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/07/garde ... tml?src=pm

http://www.cutlerandparlatore.com/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

somethingsome

New

Post by somethingsome » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:15 am

Deleted

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:29 am

Sirhcyam wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Sirhcyam wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Even if you get a new name we're still going to know it's you every time there is a thread that mentions New Jersey and includes something about how "it's not about where you went to school"
The school thing wasn't really the point of this thread. I just wanted to know your opinion of this kind of legal field. The only reason I mentioned Cardozo was because that was where one of the lawyers on the show went to school. Are you guys willing to answer my questions or no?
It's not where you go to school, it's who you know.

edit: you're looking for a justification to go to Cardozo, so knock yourself out.
You knew people who worked in that field? That's pretty cool. Did they enjoy it? Was it stressful knowing that your client is capable of a violent outburst (or worse) at any moment? It sounds fascinating.
They enjoyed it. They didn't do exclusively Sicilians. We had biker gangs, street gangs, Russians, and Mexicans as well. They are probably less likely to have a violent outburst than the murderers or other violent offenders we used to defend. Organized crime is a business.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:35 am

If I get to credibly wear a suit like that, I'll defend mobsters.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:41 am

Also, no one had such an outburst. You don't want those people as clients.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

somethingsome

New

Post by somethingsome » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:25 am

Deleted

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:32 am

Some of the more shady people I know from high school tell me I need to specialize in defense of drug dealers. Allegedly those guys will pay anything and go to any lengths to beat their charges.

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:53 am

Tom Hagen in The Godfather was an attorney and consigliere to the Family.

somethingsome

New

Post by somethingsome » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:18 pm

Deleted

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Sirhcyam wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:Some of the more shady people I know from high school tell me I need to specialize in defense of drug dealers. Allegedly those guys will pay anything and go to any lengths to beat their charges.
I don't know if I'd want to defend drug dealers. They're a little more unpredictable. At least the Mafia lives by a code.
As glamorous as the Mafia is, they are bad criminals that do bad things. I don't think their code precludes them from doing much.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Some of the more shady people I know from high school tell me I need to specialize in defense of drug dealers. Allegedly those guys will pay anything and go to any lengths to beat their charges.
Depends what the charges are. Often they can't afford you. There's a reason they are drug dealers. Possession WITS? Probably can't afford you. Low level shit. Now someone who gets hit with armed trafficking? Yeah they will do almost anything to beat that.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:08 pm

Sirhcyam wrote:It sounds awesome. Did it pay well? How did they manage to get the job?
Yes.

Cardozo's Mafia Law program. How the hell do you think? Networking and reputation.

somethingsome

New

Post by somethingsome » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:32 am

Deleted

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”