Study habits in 2L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Study habits in 2L

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:34 pm

So, those of you lucky enough to have jobs, how hard are you really working now? Dropping off a ton? Just a bit? Harder than ever? I really can't get a feel for how hard people are working. I know everybody says they're slacking off, but seems like that's just the "cool" thing to say. Any 3Ls want to weigh in on just how more or less competitive grades/study habits were when they were 2Ls? Can ppl without offers who are still working hard expect to see grades Increase as the offerees drop off the effort?

If this is already a thread, I apologize. Tried a search but didn't find anything spot on.

Anonymous User

Re: Study habits in 2L

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:39 pm

I am saying this not because its the "cool" thing to say but because this is exactly how it is. I am doing more or less nothing. I screw around online while in class and barely pay attention and skip the majority of the reading. In 1L I was the kid who stayed in the library till they kicked me out. In 2L I have yet to visit our library.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:40 pm

I'm doing a lot less work. Now, I do have a lot less to do also.

Void

Postby Void » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:41 pm

I don't have an offer and I'm slacking quite a bit. I feel more comfortable about my studying this year- i dont feel the need to read every word of every assignment like i did during 1L. Also, I was top 10% last year and ended up without an offer so I don't see the point of continuing to chase grades like a psycho.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, those of you lucky enough to have jobs, how hard are you really working now? Dropping off a ton? Just a bit? Harder than ever? I really can't get a feel for how hard people are working. I know everybody says they're slacking off, but seems like that's just the "cool" thing to say. Any 3Ls want to weigh in on just how more or less competitive grades/study habits were when they were 2Ls? Can ppl without offers who are still working hard expect to see grades Increase as the offerees drop off the effort?

If this is already a thread, I apologize. Tried a search but didn't find anything spot on.

Work as hard as you have to in order to get B+'s and you'll be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:45 pm

I am working so much harder than I did in 1L. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:45 pm

I have an offer and my study habits dropped off huge in the first month of the semester. I'm trying to get myself to pick it up a little bit finally, but it's difficult...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am working so much harder than I did in 1L. :(

This. Journal + Substantial Writing + lots of classes that I still need to do well in for clerkship consideration.

1L honestly seemed really easy excluding finals time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Doing equal or maybe a bit more work, but less for class. Journal is the main culprit.

EDIT: Also, ITT we use anonymous posting to anonymously brag about offers. Love it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am working so much harder than I did in 1L. :(

This. Journal + Substantial Writing + lots of classes that I still need to do well in for clerkship consideration.

1L honestly seemed really easy excluding finals time.

I have worked at the same level over the past month and a half that I maintained around finals time as a 1L. Law review is killing me.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Void wrote:I don't have an offer and I'm slacking quite a bit. I feel more comfortable about my studying this year- i dont feel the need to read every word of every assignment like i did during 1L. Also, I was top 10% last year and ended up without an offer so I don't see the point of continuing to chase grades like a psycho.

Wouldn't someone in your shoes care the most about grades at this point for clerkship hiring next year?

Void

Postby Void » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:01 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Void wrote:I don't have an offer and I'm slacking quite a bit. I feel more comfortable about my studying this year- i dont feel the need to read every word of every assignment like i did during 1L. Also, I was top 10% last year and ended up without an offer so I don't see the point of continuing to chase grades like a psycho.

Wouldn't someone in your shoes care the most about grades at this point for clerkship hiring next year?

If someone in my shoes was at a top school/on LR/otherwise competitive for clerkship, yeah- probably.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:03 pm

I agree with this:
Anonymous User wrote:1L honestly seemed really easy excluding finals time.

But I am working harder 2L year. Classes + Journal + Internship make for very little time to fool around. Granted I brought it on myself :wink: Besides, I'm paying too much money to get slacker grades in law school.

Return to “Legal Employment”