Awkward Offer Situation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Awkward Offer Situation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:51 pm

So one of the firms I worked with this summer made me a permanent offer a few months ago. One thing they asked of me is that I not tell any of my fellow summers until a specified date so that they could make decisions without panicking anyone else. That date has come and gone and they have made no offers or rejections to anyone else yet. I assume that their request that I stay quiet still stands. The other summers are starting to get worried, and I really can't blame them. We were all pretty close, so we talk to each other fairly regularly, and it's getting harder and harder for me to keep my mouth shut to them; not because I want to brag or anything, but because I think they need to be aware so that they can start putting more effort into the job search if necessary.

What do you guys think I should do, shut my mouth or warn my buddies?

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:55 pm

What if no one is saying they heard about getting offered because they were all told not to say anything? I mean, what do you tell them if they ask you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:00 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:What if no one is saying they heard about getting offered because they were all told not to say anything? I mean, what do you tell them if they ask you?



OP:

The concern in their voices seems to indicate that they truly haven't heard anything yet. Plus they've told me about calls they've made that haven't been returned/took some time to be returned, etc... Whenever they ask me what I've heard, I just tell them I'm really not worried about it, then shift the topic to what another summer has told me about their interactions with the recruiting folks.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:08 pm

what kind of a garbage firm is this?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what kind of a garbage firm is this?



OP:

LOL Mid-Atlantic based, 400 plus attorneys.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what kind of a garbage firm is this?



OP:

LOL Mid-Atlantic based, 400 plus attorneys.


NALP?

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby dood » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:16 pm

if they real friends, yeah for sure tell em

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you guys think I should do, shut my mouth or warn my buddies?


That's a really tough situation. Personally, if I were in your position I would not say anything for two reasons:

(1) I can guarantee if you tell anyone, even in confidence, it will spread like wildfire and get back to the firm. It's not like they're going to rescind because you went against their wishes and shared with the other summers, but it'll start you off on a bad foot.

(2) Your fellow summers are already probably recruiting pretty heavily given the amount of time that has already lapsed (or at least they should be).

kahechsof
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby kahechsof » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:19 pm

Your only real option is to turn down the offer.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:What if no one is saying they heard about getting offered because they were all told not to say anything? I mean, what do you tell them if they ask you?



OP:

The concern in their voices seems to indicate that they truly haven't heard anything yet. Plus they've told me about calls they've made that haven't been returned/took some time to be returned, etc... Whenever they ask me what I've heard, I just tell them I'm really not worried about it, then shift the topic to what another summer has told me about their interactions with the recruiting folks.

Fair enough. If the date the firm told you to wait for has come and gone, I think it's fair to spill the beans. If you're really worried you can check back with whoever at the firm told you to stay quiet and see what they want you to do.

I'd tell them for the reasons you mentioned, but it's up to you. If you're going to be working there, it wouldn't be good to have someone mad at you.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby swc65 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Goodness. I suggest that you do NOT tell them. Advise them to search really hard for a job but do not say anything. This firm seems a little shady and you do not want to risk having your offer rescinded. Telling them probably won't change anything anyway. They should already be hitting the job search hard and you telling at this point probably is not going to change anything (seriously, it's October they should be following every possible lead anyway).

It really sucks that your firm put you in this position.

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby YourCaptain » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Is it normal for permanent offers to take this long? This seems unnecessarily nerve-racking.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:40 pm

OP, can you not just ask the firm about this? Maybe I'm just stuck in a different world, but I would like to believe that genuine people discussing a reasonable situation may lead to genuine, reasonable results. I could be completely wrong here too...just seems you either put yourself or your friends in a worse off position when I am not too sure what you would lose asking the firm about the status of how they will be rolling out offers/rejections to others and how the date has come and gone. Their answer may also help you really decide what you should do. Once again, I could be completely off base here -- every now and then I offer up really dumb ideas lol.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:46 pm

kahechsof wrote:Your only real option is to turn down the offer.


I feel like this is an honest response. This is gut-check time. How do you think they treat their employees? How do you feel about your prospects for achieving long-term happiness at this employer? How much are you willing to sell out / what is the price tag of your integrity?

That came out more melodramatic than necessary. Here is what I would do: if these are good/legit friends (as opposed to random acquaintances who you don't really like or care about), then tell them at this point. If the firm gets mad about this, that's pretty messed up and the only thing you have to lose if they rescind the offer is the "opportunity" to work for a firm that has some shady if not downright abusive conception of employer/employee relations.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kahechsof wrote:Your only real option is to turn down the offer.


I feel like this is an honest response. This is gut-check time. How do you think they treat their employees? How do you feel about your prospects for achieving long-term happiness at this employer? How much are you willing to sell out / what is the price tag of your integrity?

That came out more melodramatic than necessary. Here is what I would do: if these are good/legit friends (as opposed to random acquaintances who you don't really like or care about), then tell them at this point. If the firm gets mad about this, that's pretty messed up and the only thing you have to lose if they rescind the offer is the "opportunity" to work for a firm that has some shady if not downright abusive conception of employer/employee relations.


Unless this is his only offer right?

BeenDidThat
Posts: 704
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 am

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby BeenDidThat » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:24 pm

ITT: Guy asks question about if he should help "friends" by telling them he has offer with firm they both worked for. "Friends" come on TLS, see question, recognize author, & try to dissuade him from working for firm.

So much for "friends".

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:36 pm

swc65 wrote:Goodness. I suggest that you do NOT tell them. Advise them to search really hard for a job but do not say anything. This firm seems a little shady and you do not want to risk having your offer rescinded. Telling them probably won't change anything anyway. They should already be hitting the job search hard and you telling at this point probably is not going to change anything (seriously, it's October they should be following every possible lead anyway).

It really sucks that your firm put you in this position.


Agreed. Plus, it's going to make your friends feel worse and even more panicked to hear that you got an offer ages ago. The firm is going to do what it will do; your friends should be looking at their backup options regardless.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby showNprove » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:03 pm

All of you should have been looking for alternative full-time positions: your co-workers because they didn't have anything in their pocket yet, you because a firm that needs to take almost two months to make these decisions is obviously not doing very well.

The firm is garbage for not taking care of its summers, but you and your co-workers can only blame yourselves for relying on it to come through.

In other words, yes, you should tell them each individually. Make sure they know not to let it slip to the firm that you told them and that they should kick their job search into high gear.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby showNprove » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:07 pm

Is it Day Pitney, Fox Rothschild, Cozen O'Connor, Blank Rome, or Pepper Hamilton?

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:11 pm

showNprove wrote: Make sure they know not to let it slip to the firm that you told them and that they should kick their job search into high gear.


Guaranteed to fail.

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby zomginternets » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:21 am

OP, your friends should have been, and should continue to look for employment elsewhere, regardless of whether or not they know that you have an offer. Ipso facto, do not tell them since it won't make a (practical) difference to them.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby showNprove » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:31 am

Some people are cold-hearted. Take care of your friends, man. Besides the fact that it's the right thing to do, you don't want to build a reputation for being the jerk who won't stick his neck out for his peers if it will help his career.

Plus, of the date has passed, you're not doing anything the firm asked you not to do.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:35 am

Say something. My firm is doing this to me, and the other summers were nice enough to tell me. I haven't told the firm that I know, but it did knock my butt into gear when it came to job searching.

I'm really not sure what possesses firms to do this, though. Do they really not know their hiring needs, or are they just hoping summers will find alternate options, so they won't have to reject them? Either way, it does show the firm's true colors.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273240
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:54 am

I'd tell. I think people in law forget to put their friends and life before work. But sometimes you just have to.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Awkward Offer Situation

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:36 am

Why not ask your contact at the firm whether or not you are free to speak about your offer ?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.