Manhattan DA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Manhattan DA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I realize the high potential for bias on this thread, but just thought I'd throw it out there: what do you think about peer recommendations? Would it be ridiculous/totally inappropriate for me (I was hired at DANY) to write in an unsolicited peer recommendation for someone who is interviewing there now?

Were you just hired this year, or are you already working there?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:47 pm

just wondering when after 2L summer you should send in applications? anonymous only because my firm doesn't know =)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:39 am

Got emailed for a first round interview, called and scheduled one in late September.

Just bumping this up for the 2013-2014 hiring season.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got emailed for a first round interview, called and scheduled one in late September.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got emailed for a first round interview, called and scheduled one in late September.

+1

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:45 am

Has anyone done a second-round for the 2013-2014 recruiting season yet? Looking for some advice . . .

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone done a second-round for the 2013-2014 recruiting season yet? Looking for some advice . . .

I'm doing my third round interview in about a week!
fuuuuuuuuck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:19 pm

Hey everyone, I have a first rounder coming up with Manhattan in about two weeks (I am from out of town which may explain why I am handling my first round so late)...

Does anyone have any pointers on first round? Besides the "why prosecution", "why New York" and "why Manhattan Office", is there anything out of the ordinary to expect. Thanks for help and good luck to posters above in your second round and third round interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone, I have a first rounder coming up with Manhattan in about two weeks (I am from out of town which may explain why I am handling my first round so late)...

Does anyone have any pointers on first round? Besides the "why prosecution", "why New York" and "why Manhattan Office", is there anything out of the ordinary to expect. Thanks for help and good luck to posters above in your second round and third round interview.

The only thing I'd add is be able to discuss anything on your resume, as well as your writing sample. Call ahead to legal affairs and make sure they have all your paperwork, including letters of references.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Has anyone gotten a 4th round/offer yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten a 4th round/offer yet?

I haven't. Legal Hiring said it could be a few weeks or it could be as late as March. Do you know if the executive panel calls your references or if the second round panel called them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I haven't. Legal Hiring said it could be a few weeks or it could be as late as March. Do you know if the executive panel calls your references or if the second round panel called them?

I was informed by my references that my first round interviewer called them, but I still haven't even heard back about a second round yet. Not sure if that helps at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:38 pm

Random question, does anyone know the pay scale throughout the years at Manhattan DA or where to find such information? I know starting pay is around $60K, but was curious how it progresses after that. Not expecting huge jumps as its gov work...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I was informed by my references that my first round interviewer called them, but I still haven't even heard back about a second round yet. Not sure if that helps at all.

i was in the office very recently for an interview and can confirm that another student who was there was there for a 4th rounder.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i was in the office very recently for an interview and can confirm that another student who was there was there for a 4th rounder.

anybody else hear about a fourth round?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:37 am

Still waiting to hear about 4th round.

Does anyone know what the ratio is like...what percentage of executive panel interviewees make the 4th round?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still waiting to hear about 4th round.

Does anyone know what the ratio is like...what percentage of executive panel interviewees make the 4th round?

i heard between 1/2 to 2/3 of third-rounders are dropped. i don't have a source for that, but various networking events from people who know people, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

i heard between 1/2 to 2/3 of third-rounders are dropped. i don't have a source for that, but various networking events from people who know people, etc.

Does anyone know the size of the class? I was told it would be at least 32 but it may be higher.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:42 pm

When I applied a few years ago it was roughly half that made it through. I don't know if that's changed in the last year or so. I currently work there and haven't heard that they've done anything radically different this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

When I applied a few years ago it was roughly half that made it through. I don't know if that's changed in the last year or so. I currently work there and haven't heard that they've done anything radically different this year.

I heard under Morgenthau 4th round was more or less ceremonial: as long as you didn't screw up, he hired you. Is that true under Vance?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:14 am

If 1L applying as an intern for this summer, anything I should be doing or saying in my application?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:32 am

Re: The 4th Round.

Yes, it's essentially a formality. By that point the executive staff has recommended you for hire, and it's just a chance for Vance to get to meet you and make small talk for 10-15 minutes. I suppose it's possible to somehow screw this up, but as long as you don't say something horrific I doubt it will result in no offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Not having heard about a fourth round at this point doesn't mean anything--it is still REALLY early for offers. I know of someone from a past year who had a third round in October and received an offer in March. I doubt that more than 1-2 offers have been made at this point (and those were probably only made because of competing offers).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:56 am

how long after 1st round did ppl hear back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how long after 1st round did ppl hear back?

Week/ week and a half. Manhattan was really quick with my application, but I haven't heard from them since I did my 3rd round in early November.

Oddly, I thought that the references acted as a requirement before advancing to the second round, but I was told by one of my references that she got called by my first round interviewer after I completed my third round, so not sure how that works out (i.e. whether references after 2nd/3rd round are unimportant and my 1st rounder was just being thorough, or they look at the big picture, including all interviewers' assessments and references).

Return to “Legal Employment”