Manhattan DA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wiscgrl03

New

Manhattan DA

Post by wiscgrl03 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:00 pm

Anyone else apply to the Manhattan DA's Office for an entry level position and had an interview yet? I have my first round interview tomorrow, and am just curious about other experiences!

Also, anyone have any idea of about how many people they actually interview for the first round or how many make it to the second round??

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Manhattan DA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:29 pm

wiscgrl03 wrote:Anyone else apply to the Manhattan DA's Office for an entry level position and had an interview yet? I have my first round interview tomorrow, and am just curious about other experiences!

Also, anyone have any idea of about how many people they actually interview for the first round or how many make it to the second round??

Thanks
Check out the end of this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=175

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:16 pm

wiscgrl03 wrote:Anyone else apply to the Manhattan DA's Office for an entry level position and had an interview yet? I have my first round interview tomorrow, and am just curious about other experiences!

Thanks

I'm glad there's a Manhattan DA-specific thread. I'm going in for a third round in a couple weeks. I have no idea how much the applicant pool shrinks from round to round.

Good luck!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:09 am

I just had my second round and I'm wondering how I'm *supposed* to feel about how it went. The tone of those panel interviews tends to be adversarial and challenging, so I wasn't expecting affirmation of my answers. But the lack of feedback is driving me nuts. To those who have made it past the second round panel, were your negative/positive expectations met? How did you form those negative/positive expectations about your second round?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just had my second round and I'm wondering how I'm *supposed* to feel about how it went. The tone of those panel interviews tends to be adversarial and challenging, so I wasn't expecting affirmation of my answers. But the lack of feedback is driving me nuts. To those who have made it past the second round panel, were your negative/positive expectations met? How did you form those negative/positive expectations about your second round?
I didn't get feedback either. Every now and then I would say something and all three of them would immediately make a note on their notepads and that made me paranoid. I think I handled myself pretty well, but one hypo kind of threw me for a loop so I dwelled on that a lot afterward. But then I got a third round so I guess it went well overall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks. About how long after your second round did you hear about making it to the third round?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:13 pm

I can't believe how far people are in the process already. I interviewed for the first round recently and was told I was the first person he had interviewed! I know they have a lot interviewers for the first round but still!

For people who have already made it to the second round....how ling did it take to hear back that you made it to the next round?

Btw while I was waiting I heard the receptionist answer numerous calls from Pplicants withdrawing who got other offers, so that can't hurt. Also, they were booking for first round interviews still all the way into December right now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:48 pm

They expedite the process, to the extent feasible, for people who have upcoming offer deadlines. Not sure if they're more willing to do this if you have law firm deadlines (over other gov't or public interest). All I know is that I have two biglaw deadlines and they were accommodating (let me know I had a second round the day after I had my screener).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. About how long after your second round did you hear about making it to the third round?
Less than a week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:43 pm

Any advice about the second round panel interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any advice about the second round panel interview?
They're going to try to trip you up and they will probably be completely poker faced as you work your way through the hypos, but don't let that make you sweat. They probably won't give you any idea how you're doing so don't worry about that either. Just try to explain yourself clearly and don't be afraid to say something like, "I would check with my supervisor on that first..."

Know the big crim law Supreme Court cases and maybe even some New York rules.

And ethics, that's a big one.

Good luck!! :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:47 pm

Any movement for anyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
They're going to try to trip you up and they will probably be completely poker faced as you work your way through the hypos, but don't let that make you sweat. They probably won't give you any idea how you're doing so don't worry about that either. Just try to explain yourself clearly and don't be afraid to say something like, "I would check with my supervisor on that first..."

Thank you for help! It was exactly as you said it would be. Scheduled my third round recently. This process is so intense!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you for help! It was exactly as you said it would be. Scheduled my third round recently. This process is so intense!
Good, I'm glad it was helpful! (Let me know if you want to talk about the third round.) And congrats! :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Congratulations to those that have done their third round! Have you heard about the fourth round yet?

Ipapadac

New

Post by Ipapadac » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Could anybody offer any information on the notification process? I was recently notified by email to schedule an appointment for my first interview. Will they notify you of a second interview by email, mail, or phone? If you are not selected to proceed in the process do you receive notification and how are you notified?

I thank you in advance.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:38 am

Ipapadac wrote:Could anybody offer any information on the notification process? I was recently notified by email to schedule an appointment for my first interview. Will they notify you of a second interview by email, mail, or phone? If you are not selected to proceed in the process do you receive notification and how are you notified?

I thank you in advance.
Oddly, I was notified by email for first round, second round, and fourth round but by phone for third round. I don't know how it goes if you're not selected to move on, but I THINK that it's possible you wouldn't hear anything until spring when they've hired the class.

Ipapadac

New

Post by Ipapadac » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Ipapadac wrote:Could anybody offer any information on the notification process? I was recently notified by email to schedule an appointment for my first interview. Will they notify you of a second interview by email, mail, or phone? If you are not selected to proceed in the process do you receive notification and how are you notified?

I thank you in advance.
Oddly, I was notified by email for first round, second round, and fourth round but by phone for third round. I don't know how it goes if you're not selected to move on, but I THINK that it's possible you wouldn't hear anything until spring when they've hired the class.
Thank you for your quick response. I was given a choices of interview dates that spanned all the way into December, but I chose the very next week. Also, how long did it take to hear back after your first interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Ipapadac wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I thank you in advance.
Thank you for your quick response. I was given a choices of interview dates that spanned all the way into December, but I chose the very next week. Also, how long did it take to hear back after your first interview?

A week and a half. For what it's worth, I think it was a good decision to go in as soon as you can.

Burb

New

Post by Burb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:06 pm

It took them almost 2 months to invite me--by email--to schedule the 2nd round. My understanding is that they don't rush unless you have other offers pending.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ipapadac

New

Post by Ipapadac » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:41 pm

Burb wrote:It took them almost 2 months to invite me--by email--to schedule the 2nd round. My understanding is that they don't rush unless you have other offers pending.
Good to hear. I was getting a little nervous and then did some additional research. They will let you know by mail if you aren't going to be interviewed in the next round. So I guess no news is good news. So now instead of worrying that I haven't heard anything in a week... I am having anxiety issues over checking the mail.

Thank you for the heads up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:09 am

A friend of mine got hired by them a few weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:16 am

Any idea what the turn around time is between 3rd and 4th round interviews? Also, does Vance extend offers in the 4th round?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea what the turn around time is between 3rd and 4th round interviews? Also, does Vance extend offers in the 4th round?
For me it was about a week. Vance does extend offers in the 4th round, but sometimes he defers his decision (is what I was told).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”