Manhattan DA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Manhattan DA

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:07 pm

Does anyone come out of these interviews feeling good about them? I felt like it was really, really tough. Is that any indication of my chances, or do they intentionally make it hard for everyone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone come out of these interviews feeling good about them? I felt like it was really, really tough. Is that any indication of my chances, or do they intentionally make it hard for everyone?
I came out of second round feeling like I had no idea how it went. But I was pretty pumped coming out of third round. But yeah, you're right, these are really tough interviews. Not like our BigLaw compatriots who after a 20 minute interview are basically set forever. Not that I'm bitter or anything. ;)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:13 am

Way ahead of myself here, but what is the third round like? What kind of questions? etc etc

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Way ahead of myself here, but what is the third round like? What kind of questions? etc etc
Like second only more aggressive, more adversarial. They'll keep pushing you on your answers trying to trip you up. But the people on the executive panel are really nice and they lapse into their regular personalities when it's over. They're going to push you a lot, but they're just trying to figure out if you'll fall apart under tough questioning. I think knowing that in advance is helpful for your confidence. Be prepared for a battle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone come out of these interviews feeling good about them? I felt like it was really, really tough. Is that any indication of my chances, or do they intentionally make it hard for everyone?
I came out feeling terrible - like I completely bombed it. I ended up getting an offer. The thing about stress interviews is that, regardless of how well you did, you're going to feel like you did badly. Unlike a conventional interview, you can't look at your interviewer's face/body language/demeanor to figure out how you are doing. I'm sure you did well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Also, if you got an offer and are looking for a roommate, I am too!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:02 pm

Good to know. I think I handled myself as well as could be expected, but it's hard to come up with ten different reasons that you want to do anything, even working at a place like NYDA. Here's to hoping that I get a third.

As for roommates, my current sub-lease is up in August, so I'd definitely be interested. Let's not get ahead of ourselves though!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Good to know. I think I handled myself as well as could be expected, but it's hard to come up with ten different reasons that you want to do anything, even working at a place like NYDA. Here's to hoping that I get a third.

As for roommates, my current sub-lease is up in August, so I'd definitely be interested. Let's not get ahead of ourselves though!
...They asked you to come up with 10 reasons why you wanted to work there? Hm, maybe I got off light..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:16 pm

It felt that way. I had five reasons lined up and burned through all of them, but the question (notably from only one member of the panel) kept on coming.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:06 am

It looks like they are not hiring many of their summer interns as ADAs. I've heard of several rejections. Does anyone know more about that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:02 pm

It's been a week since my second round and still no news. Is that good or bad?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:20 pm

from what i have heard from many people within the NYC district attorney community, ever since Vance took over, he has placed a great emphasis on school attended ie t14 or other things from slightly lower ranked schools like law review.

(ADA in NY Area)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:48 pm

i've got a first round with DANY coming up. any advice? (i'm a lateral candidate)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:from what i have heard from many people within the NYC district attorney community, ever since Vance took over, he has placed a great emphasis on school attended ie t14 or other things from slightly lower ranked schools like law review.

(ADA in NY Area)
I heard this too -- from someone who works for DANY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i've got a first round with DANY coming up. any advice? (i'm a lateral candidate)
Are you a prosecutor already and just switching offices or is this a career change?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:07 am

i'm currently clerking for a judge. do you think that will have any effect on how my interview will be?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Also a current clerk. Don't think that status had any effect on my interview, except giving me something to talk about.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:54 pm

It'll be two weeks tomorrow for me since my second round interview. I haven't heard a thing. Should I call tomorrow?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:05 pm

How did they notify you that you got a third-round interview - phone call or email?

Anonymous333

New

Post by Anonymous333 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Way ahead of myself here, but what is the third round like? What kind of questions? etc etc
Like second only more aggressive, more adversarial. They'll keep pushing you on your answers trying to trip you up. But the people on the executive panel are really nice and they lapse into their regular personalities when it's over. They're going to push you a lot, but they're just trying to figure out if you'll fall apart under tough questioning. I think knowing that in advance is helpful for your confidence. Be prepared for a battle.
How did they notify you that you got a third-round interview? Phone call or email? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:21 pm

Anonymous333 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How did they notify you that you got a third-round interview? Phone call or email? Thanks!
All of my notifications were via email. But for my interview with Vance, the f-ing email went into my spam folder. (Thanks a lot, Gmail.) Fortunately, I was checking that as obsessively as my regular email just in case.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Has anyone who had a second round recently heard anything about a third round yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:33 pm

I was dinged about 1.5 weeks after my second round. Got the notification via snail mail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was dinged about 1.5 weeks after my second round. Got the notification via snail mail.

When was this? Recently?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:15 pm

I realize the high potential for bias on this thread, but just thought I'd throw it out there: what do you think about peer recommendations? Would it be ridiculous/totally inappropriate for me (I was hired at DANY) to write in an unsolicited peer recommendation for someone who is interviewing there now?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”