list law firms with most ex federal circuit clerks (patent)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

list law firms with most ex federal circuit clerks (patent)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:03 pm

List law firms with most ex-clerks from the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.

I imagine this list resembles the best patent litigation firms.

Julio_El_Chavo

Re: list law firms with most ex federal circuit clerks (patent)

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:List law firms with most ex-clerks from the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.

Many Federal Circuit ex-clerks don't even go on to practice patent litigation. Also, a Federal Circuit clerkship would not prepare you for trial-level work which is where 99% of patent litigation work is conducted. So even if there is a correlation between the number of Fed Circuit clerks a firm has and the quality of its patent litigation department, this correlation is probably NOT primarily due to any type of experience the ex-clerks received while working at the Fed Circuit. Knowing what the law is and how it will be interpreted at the appellate level isn't very useful if you're primarily working on Markman hearings and claim construction issues which vary from case to case and technology to technology.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:55 pm

finnegan
fish
mofo
williams & connolly

a lot of these firms brag about their # of fed. cir. clerks on their webpage. just search for "federal circuit clerk" on their webpage. you can just drop down menu on mofo's website to surf thorugh clerks there. i believe there's a facebook and linkedin page for fed. cir. clerks, but i don't know whether that's open to public.

hth

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:List law firms with most ex-clerks from the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.

Not a good proxy for best patent lit firm.

Anonymous User wrote:finnegan
fish
mofo
williams & connolly

a lot of these firms brag about their # of fed. cir. clerks on their webpage. just search for "federal circuit clerk" on their webpage. you can just drop down menu on mofo's website to surf thorugh clerks there. i believe there's a facebook and linkedin page for fed. cir. clerks, but i don't know whether that's open to public.

hth

Take out Williams & Connolly, add Ropes, Weil, and WilmerHale.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:13 pm

fed. cir. clerk here. you'd have to be batshit crazy to think the singular appeals court for patent law is so irrelevant to patent district proceedings as is made to appear above.

UT1502

Postby UT1502 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:18 pm

It doesn't have the most by numbers, but Susman Godfrey doesn't hire anyone who doesn't do a Fed. Ct. clerkship.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:56 pm

UT1502 wrote:It doesn't have the most by numbers, but Susman Godfrey doesn't hire anyone who doesn't do a Fed. Ct. clerkship.

Huh? Fed circuit ≠ COA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Blindmelon wrote:

fish
mofo
williams & connolly

hth

wc has 7 fed. cir. guys who do pat lit. it's actually a growing name in pat lit circles.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:

fish
mofo
williams & connolly

hth

wc has 7 fed. cir. guys who do pat lit. it's actually a growing name in pat lit circles.

Growing name yes, but no way is it one of the best patent lit firms. OP is trying to figure out best patent lit by a weird proxy.

Return to “Legal Employment”