What are the "exit options" after working as a PD?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
adt231
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

What are the "exit options" after working as a PD?

Postby adt231 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi all. I'm just curious as to what the exit options are after working for as a PD for awhile.

The consensus seems to be: you're not really suited to do civil work afterwards and there aren't many other options for criminal defense other than DUI-type criminal defense or perhaps a few criminal defense boutiques (do these even exist?). Is this consensus true or blatantly false? Or, is there something that this consensus is leaving out? It seems to be false if one were with Legal Aid since they also have a civil division - allowing you to gain both civil and criminal experience because you might not be a PD for your entire time there. But, what if one works exclusively as a PD for, say, 5-10 years?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: What are the "exit options" after working as a PD?

Postby Grizz » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:35 pm

adt231 wrote:Hi all. I'm just curious as to what the exit options are after working for as a PD for awhile.

The consensus seems to be: you're not really suited to do civil work afterwards and there aren't many other options for criminal defense other than DUI-type criminal defense or perhaps a few criminal defense boutiques (do these even exist?). Is this consensus true or blatantly false? Or, is there something that this consensus is leaving out? It seems to be false if one were with Legal Aid since they also have a civil division - allowing you to gain both civil and criminal experience because you might not be a PD for your entire time there. But, what if one works exclusively as a PD for, say, 5-10 years?

Criminal defense boutiques exist. You can go solo. You can try for Federal Defender. You can try to parlay your trial experience into a firm that does civil stuff.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: What are the "exit options" after working as a PD?

Postby goodolgil » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Know a lot of former PDs work in civil rights litigation.

adt231
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: What are the "exit options" after working as a PD?

Postby adt231 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:42 pm

goodolgil wrote:Know a lot of former PDs work in civil rights litigation.


Interesting. Do you know what kind of civil rights litigation they do? Is it with an NGO?

adt231
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: What are the "exit options" after working as a PD?

Postby adt231 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:46 pm

Grizz wrote:Criminal defense boutiques exist. You can go solo. You can try for Federal Defender. You can try to parlay your trial experience into a firm that does civil stuff.


What sort of stuff do the boutiques do? White collar stuff or is that left to biglaw?

And by parlaying trial experience into private civil work-- you think this is common?

Thanks for the input!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273257
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What are the "exit options" after working as a PD?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:49 pm

adt231 wrote:
goodolgil wrote:Know a lot of former PDs work in civil rights litigation.


Interesting. Do you know what kind of civil rights litigation they do? Is it with an NGO?


My experience is with section 1983 stuff, especially police departments. It makes sense really--suing over fuck-ups in criminal procedure.

dontknowwhereimgoin
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:03 pm

Re: What are the "exit options" after working as a PD?

Postby dontknowwhereimgoin » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:50 pm

How much does qualified immunity/immunity, proving requisite intent, and valuating violations of rights curtail successful 1983 suits?

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: What are the "exit options" after working as a PD?

Postby leobowski » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:23 am

dontknowwhereimgoin wrote:How much does qualified immunity/immunity, proving requisite intent, and valuating violations of rights curtail successful 1983 suits?



Lol. There's no easy answer to this question. Take a civil rights class and you will get the big picture of this stuff.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.