anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6048
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:41 pm

sebastian0622 wrote:Does anybody working in biglaw NOT find it extremely depressing?

I feel like the people who like Biglaw aren't going to go onto legal blogs/forums talking about their content. Similar to call-in surveys (insert cite).

sebastian0622
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

Postby sebastian0622 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:47 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:
sebastian0622 wrote:Does anybody working in biglaw NOT find it extremely depressing?

I feel like the people who like Biglaw aren't going to go onto legal blogs/forums talking about their content. Similar to call-in surveys (insert cite).


Right, but that still doesn't answer the question. :)

User avatar
YourCaptain
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

Postby YourCaptain » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:49 pm

Grizz wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:
Mavraides87 wrote:Do you get time in for a good cardio workout at least 5 times a week?


He should only be doing SQUATS and sprints


OATZ! SQUATZ!

--ImageRemoved--


STUFF YOUR FACE WITH CARBS

Anonymous User
Posts: 273381
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:25 pm

Tsispilos wrote:I havent seen my wife in like a week because she's in bed when I get home and in bed when I leave in the morning. I work all the fucking time but am still behind and still get yelled at for taking too long to write briefs or write summaries of documents.

How long have you been there?

I am most interested in the yelling part. I will never allow anyone to raise their voice at me at work. Ever. If this is normal for biglaw then clearly I wont last long there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273381
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tsispilos wrote:I havent seen my wife in like a week because she's in bed when I get home and in bed when I leave in the morning. I work all the fucking time but am still behind and still get yelled at for taking too long to write briefs or write summaries of documents.

How long have you been there?

I am most interested in the yelling part. I will never allow anyone to raise their voice at me at work. Ever. If this is normal for biglaw then clearly I wont last long there.


Really? If some partner wants to scream at me in return for mega $$$$ I'll take it. And try to find a new partner to work with but a little yelling every once in a while to pay off those big ass loans and have a little extra for vegas weekends is totes worth it.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273381
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:32 pm

Try being a resident physician for 3-8 years of your life. 80 hours minimum. working 30hour shifts several times per week. Listening to and solving everyone elses problems and then contracting their illnesses from them because your immune system is shot from the stress and sleep deprivation... you gotta count your blessings bro!

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Try being a resident physician for 3-8 years of your life. 80 hours minimum. working 30hour shifts several times per week. Listening to and solving everyone elses problems and then contracting their illnesses from them because your immune system is shot from the stress and sleep deprivation... you gotta count your blessings bro!


Not if you're a radiologist. All you do then is look at images and bang nurses.

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

Postby nealric » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:42 pm

Does anybody working in biglaw NOT find it extremely depressing?


I'm in biglaw (you can look at my post history for more information). I love it.

transferguy
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

Postby transferguy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:I guess I'm not at "biglaw" but I think it's somewhat comparable (hours target is well north of 2000, salary is above market, just more of a boutique in a non-NYC/Chi/DC market). My hours haven't been bad (a little over 2 months in). Billing 50-55/week and not working much, if at all, on weekends. Longer weekdays, but still have time to do dinner/other things with the lady and friends on weeknights (I think my savior is that I like to wake up really early).


50-55 billables/week with no weekends seems like more than "not working much", no?

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6048
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:24 am

transferguy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I guess I'm not at "biglaw" but I think it's somewhat comparable (hours target is well north of 2000, salary is above market, just more of a boutique in a non-NYC/Chi/DC market). My hours haven't been bad (a little over 2 months in). Billing 50-55/week and not working much, if at all, on weekends. Longer weekdays, but still have time to do dinner/other things with the lady and friends on weeknights (I think my savior is that I like to wake up really early).


50-55 billables/week with no weekends seems like more than "not working much", no?


Billing 50-55/week and not working much, if at all, on weekends.


not working much, if at all, on weekends.


not working much,if at all, on weekends.


not working much on weekends


target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

Postby target » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:30 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Try being a resident physician for 3-8 years of your life. 80 hours minimum. working 30hour shifts several times per week. Listening to and solving everyone elses problems and then contracting their illnesses from them because your immune system is shot from the stress and sleep deprivation... you gotta count your blessings bro!


Not if you're a radiologist. All you do then is look at images and bang nurses.


Check your facts man. I don't think this is really accurate.

transferguy
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

Postby transferguy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:26 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
transferguy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I guess I'm not at "biglaw" but I think it's somewhat comparable (hours target is well north of 2000, salary is above market, just more of a boutique in a non-NYC/Chi/DC market). My hours haven't been bad (a little over 2 months in). Billing 50-55/week and not working much, if at all, on weekends. Longer weekdays, but still have time to do dinner/other things with the lady and friends on weeknights (I think my savior is that I like to wake up really early).


50-55 billables/week with no weekends seems like more than "not working much", no?


Billing 50-55/week and not working much, if at all, on weekends.


not working much, if at all, on weekends.


not working much,if at all, on weekends.


not working much on weekends


Ya, I actually was thinking about the "hours haven't been bad" when I quoted "not working much" part of the sentence. Whoops!

What I meant to say was 50-55hrs/wk without weekends seems like pretty bad hours.

Anomalous User
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:22 am

Re: anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

Postby Anomalous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:02 am

Biglaw is pretty damn depressing, and it has nothing to do with the hours. I expected long hours. What I didn't expect is having minimal human interaction almost every day of my life. I'm in the office every single day for 12-13 hours, communicating almost exclusively via email, and coming home to nobody because my last girlfriend couldn't handle never seeing me. Part of it is the fact that my firm is a smaller office and has few juniors to joke around with, but part of it is just the nature of the beast.

All that said, the money is nice and I wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't worthwhile-- for now.

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: anyone working biglaw finding extremely depressing?

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:04 am

Anomalous User wrote:Biglaw is pretty damn depressing, and it has nothing to do with the hours. I expected long hours. What I didn't expect is having minimal human interaction almost every day of my life. I'm in the office every single day for 12-13 hours, communicating almost exclusively via email, and coming home to nobody because my last girlfriend couldn't handle never seeing me. Part of it is the fact that my firm is a smaller office and has few juniors to joke around with, but part of it is just the nature of the beast.

All that said, the money is nice and I wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't worthwhile-- for now.


:(




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.