Car Service Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ExAnt3

New

Car Service Question

Post by ExAnt3 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:45 pm

hey everyone,

i posted this question somewhere in one of the threads but i think it got lost. i'm a 2L and will be an SA at a v30 that provides car services after 8pm (i think this is the right time). does the car service (for full time associates) drive only in manhattan/will the firm want me to take LIRR if i am living on long island/metro north if i'm living near one of those lines? i know that i can ask this during my SA, but I'm want to know now!

Thanks!

Sup Kid

Silver

Re: Car Service Question

Post by Sup Kid » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:22 pm

ExAnt3 wrote:hey everyone,

i posted this question somewhere in one of the threads but i think it got lost. i'm a 2L and will be an SA at a v30 that provides car services after 8pm (i think this is the right time). does the car service (for full time associates) drive only in manhattan/will the firm want me to take LIRR if i am living on long island/metro north if i'm living near one of those lines? i know that i can ask this during my SA, but I'm want to know now!

Thanks!
You should be able to take a car service home regardless of where you live; you can also take a cab and submit the receipt for reimbursement if that's easier. That being said, you probably won't be working past 8pm as a summer associate -- I was at a V30 as well this past summer and only worked that late 7-8 times the whole summer, when I was staffed on a couple of deal closings. Plus, lots of nights there will be firm events, and you should aim to go to all of those unless something urgent was happening (partners/associates tended to understand that you couldn't work past 6-6:30pm when there was an event, so long as you told them in advance).

ExAnt3

New

Post by ExAnt3 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:24 pm

Sup Kid wrote:

Thanks!
You should be able to take a car service home regardless of where you live; you can also take a cab and submit the receipt for reimbursement if that's easier. That being said, you probably won't be working past 8pm as a summer associate -- I was at a V30 as well this past summer and only worked that late 7-8 times the whole summer, when I was staffed on a couple of deal closings. Plus, lots of nights there will be firm events, and you should aim to go to all of those unless something urgent was happening (partners/associates tended to understand that you couldn't work past 6-6:30pm when there was an event, so long as you told them in advance).
thanks for the reply! i was primarily asking about what would happen for a regular full-time associate, as i'm doubtful that i'll be at the office late enough as a SA to take advantage of this policy.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:25 pm

Thanks!

Car service is often available, and it may vary by firm on where it will take you. At any rate, as a summer, I'd be wary about taking car service outside of getting home from firm events (only time I ever used it). You don't want to paint a bullseye on yourself if your class is faced with a chopping block (especially if the market tanks again this fall/winter)

edit: other poaster beat me to it, but that advice is pretty solid. As a full-time associate, I'm not sure how often I would use it, either. Certainly, if you're at work until after 11/12 at night, there's a better argument for using it. But after 8pm? You'll probably be in the office until around then on a regular basis, so like anything else, it's a judgment call. GL this summer, SA'ing in NYC this past summer was incredible!

anongoodnurse

New

Post by anongoodnurse » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:37 pm

I always felt guilty about using the car service when I was an associate. Until that time a gaggle of punks followed me off the train and mugged me. Thank god a passing car stopped and scared them off. Probably the difference between a sore jaw and a hospital trip.

I didn't hesitate to take a car or cab after that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”