State Clerkship Interview Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SecReg

State Clerkship Interview Questions

Postby SecReg » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:52 am

I have an interview for a state clerkship (civil) coming up and I was sort of confused about what questions to ask. Outside of the generic ones, there aren't a whole lot I can think of. I am also concerned that I don't have a awesome answer for why I want to clerk in the Civil Court. I mean, the honest answer is because I find it more challenging and I do not want to clerk in the criminal and family courts (one of which the Judge has ties to). Any advice?

Also any general interview tips would be greatly appreciated!

lolwat

Re: State Clerkship Interview Questions

Postby lolwat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:08 pm

It sounds like "Civil" is a lot more general. Could just tell them you're interested in various areas of law, but that you know you're not interested in criminal and family law so it makes sense not to work in those courts. I don't think that's the greatest answer, but it's better than "more challenging."

I'd think questions to ask are the same as for federal clerkships. Perhaps even moreso for state clerkships because there's a bit less info out about them.

SecReg

Re: State Clerkship Interview Questions

Postby SecReg » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:28 pm

lolwat wrote:It sounds like "Civil" is a lot more general. Could just tell them you're interested in various areas of law, but that you know you're not interested in criminal and family law so it makes sense not to work in those courts. I don't think that's the greatest answer, but it's better than "more challenging."

I'd think questions to ask are the same as for federal clerkships. Perhaps even moreso for state clerkships because there's a bit less info out about them.

Thanks for the input man, yea it is very general. I just need to come across as enthusiastic without looking desperate or creepy lol. I also assume I won't get asked questions like "who is your favorite Supreme Court Justice" and etc.

Return to “Legal Employment”