1L Summer Internship Tips?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
beachbum

Re: 1L Summer Internship Tips?

Postby beachbum » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:19 am

omninode wrote:
chimp wrote:Excellent thread.

Yes indeed. This is filling a lot of gaps in my knowledge.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:27 am

(OP again)

I'm glad people are finding the thread useful.
As I said originally, I did some pretty extensive searching and didn't find a lot about the mechanics of finding a 1L summer internship, so I thought it'd be good to have some discussions about it.

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to regional/state firms that were in my hometown, and I don't live in a big city or anything. Got a paid 1L gig doing that.

I will say that it's nice being paid and all over the summer, but there can be a bit more pressure to "secure an offer" for the second summer. The topic definitely came up during the 2L search with in a lot of screeners and some of the CBs. Problem was, the firm I worked for doesn't really do that, so I had to awkwardly try to explain. Also, if you do a gig like this in your hometown, you may find yourself having to convince people during 2L that you want to work in their city and not your hometown and it could make it harder.

People who did Gov/PI or interned with a Judge over the summer did fine in the 2L search, so it's not like having a 1L SA gig is vital. If I could do it again, I'd have split it with a judicial internship or something. Having a judge as a reference is usually a good thing, especially if you can get one in a target market.

When did you apply to these regional/state firms? Did you just do a mass-mail type of campaign where you emailed the hiring partner?
I'm lucky enough to have the entirety of two decent sized New England cities within a relatively easy drive from my apartment, the smaller of which has a legal community that contains many alums from my undergraduate college. I'd be willing to continue living/working in either city, so I don't feel as though it would restrict me too much in terms of future hiring.
I've sent feelers out to alums at a few of the bigger firms in that smaller market and so far have either heard nothing or "send me your resume for the summer of 2013, I'll make sure it gets to the right people." That's great, but doesn't help me for the summer of 2012.

I don't want to sound dense, but where can I figure out which judges are hiring for the summer of 2012/how to contact them?
I'd prefer to get a jump on the cover letter/resume process now as opposed to trying to handle all of that during late November for a Dec 1 mailing date.
(Ideally, I'd like to clerk for a judge in MA, if that helps anyone to help me.)

Anonymous User wrote:Check with your career services office to see if they have any alumni networking events planned early spring. My school had one in February where alumni from different fields had tables set up at school (it was organized by practice area and had food, drinks, etc.). I met an attorney who was looking for a law clerk, and I've been clerking with that firm ever since. It's a small firm, but getting paid $20/hr is definitely better than working for free. Of course this is no guarantee you'll find a job this way, but definitely don't overlook these opportunities.

Yes, I will definitely check with my CSO once I'm allowed in the door on November 1st. Sounds like you got a pretty good opportunity there, I hope I am that lucky.

traydeuce wrote:Judicial externships are (a) useful, educational and fun experience, (b) helpful with getting a clerkship, (c) not really that helpful with firm hiring. But of all the legal jobs you could get as a 1L, I think an externship with a COA judge is, if you actually like law, the most fun.

Yeah, I've heard similar in looking around the forums. I am interested in firm work (though I doubt my chances at truly big law), so I don't know if trying to get a judicial externship is really worth it for my future career goals, but it does sound like interesting work, and so far, I do like the law.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:07 am

Someone mentioned earlier, but if you want to end up in a market for 2L summer and your career that you don't have strong ties in, it'd make sense to try to get near that market for your 1L summer if possible.

There are many benefits to this, but simply being able to say during OCI: "I've wanted to go to XYZ market after law school, so I figured it would be a good test run this summer after 1L. I really enjoyed it and it confirmed my desire to go back there."

I think it also helps to begin to start networking in whatever place you want to end up as a 2L/1st year associate. Especially if you're at a T14 with pretty good grades, firms are still wanting ties to the area for OCI. So you might need to go out of your way during 1L to get to your future market for that summer, even if it means getting a non-paying gig. I'd probably recommend this for people in the top 1/3 or top 1/4 of the class at a T8-14. (And you'll have a rough idea where you fall on the curve in January once grades are back)

Also, if you're in a market during 1L summer that you want to target during OCI, you can often do a screening/callback before OCI, depending on the firm. Or at least it gives you a chance to be on the radar of the firm if you go to their summer 1L reception or something like that.

ClutchCity24

Postby ClutchCity24 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:22 am

Thanks for the replies and help

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Someone mentioned earlier, but if you want to end up in a market for 2L summer and your career that you don't have strong ties in, it'd make sense to try to get near that market for your 1L summer if possible.

There are many benefits to this, but simply being able to say during OCI: "I've wanted to go to XYZ market after law school, so I figured it would be a good test run this summer after 1L. I really enjoyed it and it confirmed my desire to go back there."

I think it also helps to begin to start networking in whatever place you want to end up as a 2L/1st year associate. Especially if you're at a T14 with pretty good grades, firms are still wanting ties to the area for OCI. So you might need to go out of your way during 1L to get to your future market for that summer, even if it means getting a non-paying gig. I'd probably recommend this for people in the top 1/3 or top 1/4 of the class at a T8-14. (And you'll have a rough idea where you fall on the curve in January once grades are back)

Also, if you're in a market during 1L summer that you want to target during OCI, you can often do a screening/callback before OCI, depending on the firm. Or at least it gives you a chance to be on the radar of the firm if you go to their summer 1L reception or something like that.

This is definitely true. If you know what market you want to be in, try to get a summer gig in that market be it paid or not. This gives you a great opportunity (which you must then take advantage of) to network hard over the summer. Firms often hold receptions during the summer in major cities as well. Someone I know most likely got their CB despite mediocre grades because they made a great impression at one of these.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(OP again)

I'm glad people are finding the thread useful.
As I said originally, I did some pretty extensive searching and didn't find a lot about the mechanics of finding a 1L summer internship, so I thought it'd be good to have some discussions about it.

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to regional/state firms that were in my hometown, and I don't live in a big city or anything. Got a paid 1L gig doing that.

I will say that it's nice being paid and all over the summer, but there can be a bit more pressure to "secure an offer" for the second summer. The topic definitely came up during the 2L search with in a lot of screeners and some of the CBs. Problem was, the firm I worked for doesn't really do that, so I had to awkwardly try to explain. Also, if you do a gig like this in your hometown, you may find yourself having to convince people during 2L that you want to work in their city and not your hometown and it could make it harder.

People who did Gov/PI or interned with a Judge over the summer did fine in the 2L search, so it's not like having a 1L SA gig is vital. If I could do it again, I'd have split it with a judicial internship or something. Having a judge as a reference is usually a good thing, especially if you can get one in a target market.

When did you apply to these regional/state firms? Did you just do a mass-mail type of campaign where you emailed the hiring partner?
I'm lucky enough to have the entirety of two decent sized New England cities within a relatively easy drive from my apartment, the smaller of which has a legal community that contains many alums from my undergraduate college. I'd be willing to continue living/working in either city, so I don't feel as though it would restrict me too much in terms of future hiring.
I've sent feelers out to alums at a few of the bigger firms in that smaller market and so far have either heard nothing or "send me your resume for the summer of 2013, I'll make sure it gets to the right people." That's great, but doesn't help me for the summer of 2012.

I don't want to sound dense, but where can I figure out which judges are hiring for the summer of 2012/how to contact them?
I'd prefer to get a jump on the cover letter/resume process now as opposed to trying to handle all of that during late November for a Dec 1 mailing date.
(Ideally, I'd like to clerk for a judge in MA, if that helps anyone to help me.)

The earlier you apply, the better, generally, although you won't have grades at the time. I applied in late Jan. To apply, I did it via my career services job posting website when applicable, or looked at the websites and found out who to send it to (generally it'll be to some sort of legal recruiting secretary, but some firms have you send it directly to the hiring partner).

For judges, find a list of the district court judges in the area you're interested in and call all of them. You can also find lists of state judges and whatnot with some googling. To find out if they're hiring, call them. You'll probably get a secretary or law clerk or something and they'll know the drill. Judges are random about hiring but I think for 1L's, if you apply in february, that's a pretty good time. A lot of them (at least in my area) seemed to do their hiring in March.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:18 pm

^^ And a list of the local COA judges. In fact, if your school pays a stipend for judicial internships, you can afford to live in one of the random smaller towns where a lot of COA judges sit and make a profit on the stipend. There are a ton of big names that hire interns. Jeffrey Sutton has interns.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:23 pm

OP, back again with another question:

I've begun drafting up a general email to send out to the more general alumni of my undergrad and my law school (read: I've never met them and can't use that as a reason to email them).
I am unsure exactly how to approach the email. All of the information I've got from my school's "Networking" email says to email alums whose practice area you are interested in and tell them that is why you're emailing them. Well, that might be great for someone who knows exactly what they want to do, but it seems a little bit restrictive for a 1L, especially because I just have a mild interest in business law.
So far, I've emailed a couple of the attorneys I already knew who worked in business law, but as I'm emailing some of the other alums at my undergrad/law school, I am not sure if I am restricting myself too much by declaring an interest in business law. If someone wanted to let me work for them as a 1L and they did litigation (especially in a firm), I'd certainly be overjoyed, so I don't want to not email those people just because they aren't corporate lawyers.

Any tips regarding this? I could be overthinking this whole thing, I freely admit that...

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 pm

Does your school have an internship program? For judicial internships, my school has ties with multiple federal and state programs where you apply through the school, and the school then selects who is paired with which judge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You're not getting a biglaw 1L gig unless you are a T6 minority or have previous connections. Same likely goes for paid jobs generally, other than working for a professor.

Pre-Dec, look into any gov't jobs that might be interesting to you--people who did SEC 1L cleaned up at OCI, and there are other bigfirm relevant agencies. You'll still aplly 12/1 or later but some have early deadlines (12/7, etc). Go through the Arizona guide.

Then, over christmas break, look into public interest jobs that offer hands-on experience, preferably at somewhere non-controversial. pslawnet, your school's database, idealist.org.

Expect to potentially have a job in Dec but more likely in Feb. If you are unemployed in Feb, start looking for a professor to RA for.

That's not quite true. You can be a minority or IP person at Texas and get a BigLaw job 1L summer. But if you are neither minority nor eligible to sit for the patent bar, then I wouldn't waste too much time shooting for BigLaw this summer. I would focus on judicial internships with Article III judges.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, back again with another question:

I've begun drafting up a general email to send out to the more general alumni of my undergrad and my law school (read: I've never met them and can't use that as a reason to email them).
I am unsure exactly how to approach the email. All of the information I've got from my school's "Networking" email says to email alums whose practice area you are interested in and tell them that is why you're emailing them. Well, that might be great for someone who knows exactly what they want to do, but it seems a little bit restrictive for a 1L, especially because I just have a mild interest in business law.
So far, I've emailed a couple of the attorneys I already knew who worked in business law, but as I'm emailing some of the other alums at my undergrad/law school, I am not sure if I am restricting myself too much by declaring an interest in business law. If someone wanted to let me work for them as a 1L and they did litigation (especially in a firm), I'd certainly be overjoyed, so I don't want to not email those people just because they aren't corporate lawyers.

Any tips regarding this? I could be overthinking this whole thing, I freely admit that...

Write up TWO general emails, one for corporate and the other for litigation people, each expressing your undying passion for their area of law.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:51 am

Also don't overlook state agencies. State agencies provide great background in both litigation and regulatory fields. You can draft legal memos all summer or help write rule proposals/responses/etc. Given the increasing nature of regulatory work in all fields, I found this to be extremely helpful in 2L interviews - especially when you can say that regulatory work is great for times in which deals aren't going forward. There will always be environmental regulation for certain areas of corporate law to deal with. State agencies can also give you great exposure to hot-button issues. A friend of mine worked at a state environmental agency on some natural gas drilling technique for 6 weeks this summer. Had no interest in environmental law, but talking about that proved invaluable during OCI/CB, she said.

Long story short, don't avoid state regulatory agencies if you're also going to look at state judges. Environment, HHS, AG all probably hire 1Ls.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:17 pm

So some of the internships I am interested in applying for have December deadlines and explicitly state they accept 1L applicants. However, they require a transcript. How is that supposed to work?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:15 am

Anybody got tips on trying to get something in-house for your 1L summer?

Thanks!

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:41 pm

Jessuf wrote:So some of the internships I am interested in applying for have December deadlines and explicitly state they accept 1L applicants. However, they require a transcript. How is that supposed to work?

From my experience, you would apply and interview over winter break. They would then give you a decision after you submit your transcript.

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody got tips on trying to get something in-house for your 1L summer?

Thanks!

Does your school have an online jobs database? All of my friends who worked in-house last summer got the jobs either applying through our database or searching company websites on their own.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:50 pm

I interned with a state trial court level judge my 0L summer, and might be interested in clerking after law school, so should apply for a federal judge my 1L summer? I ask because I'm trying to prioritize what I get out Dec 1st and what I leave till after finals.

For Dec 1, I was thinking of applying to minority(I'm the non-URM kind) scholarships in my home secondary market, Boston firms, and applying to a law firm in a major market that really interests me after I got a chance to talk to alumni there. For context, I go to HLS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:08 pm

0L here asking a silly question.
How would a applicant be hired for a biglaw gig if she/he did not receive any grades yet?
Is it just off one's school reputation/ networking?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:0L here asking a silly question.
How would a applicant be hired for a biglaw gig if she/he did not receive any grades yet?
Is it just off one's school reputation/ networking?

Some hire before grades are off, relying off of stuff like school reputation/networking/ and the person's prior work experience (minorities at top schools with backgrounds at major consulting & finance firms can clean up nicely for 1L hiring no matter their grades). Many will go through everything short of the offer before your grades are out, and then wait on your grades before making a final decision. I know a lot of people said that their interviews were scheduled in the *day* after grades were released.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:49 pm

How hard would it be for a Cornell URM 1L to get a firm internship? I feel more inclined to apply for a judicial clerkship back at home, but would you guys say I have a decent chance?

(No prior work experience, nothing to really set me apart from the pack)

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How hard would it be for a Cornell URM 1L to get a firm internship? I feel more inclined to apply for a judicial clerkship back at home, but would you guys say I have a decent chance?

(No prior work experience, nothing to really set me apart from the pack)

Does your home market have firms you can apply to? Check NALP directory and see what firms in your home market hire 1Ls.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:02 pm

I know that the chance for a coveted Biglaw 1L SA position is greatly influenced by grades and school. HYS aside, I understand that T-6 is significant, so as a MVP student, how important would it be if my MVP school made it into the T-6 on the next USNWR rankings? Looking at past T-6 schools, some have dropped out, so it is possible my school could jump into the T-6. Would it make a big difference?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know that the chance for a coveted Biglaw 1L SA position is greatly influenced by grades and school. HYS aside, I understand that T-6 is significant, so as a MVP student, how important would it be if my MVP school made it into the T-6 on the next USNWR rankings? Looking at past T-6 schools, some have dropped out, so it is possible my school could jump into the T-6. Would it make a big difference?

I don't feel like giving a long answer, so I'll get to the point: no.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:56 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know that the chance for a coveted Biglaw 1L SA position is greatly influenced by grades and school. HYS aside, I understand that T-6 is significant, so as a MVP student, how important would it be if my MVP school made it into the T-6 on the next USNWR rankings? Looking at past T-6 schools, some have dropped out, so it is possible my school could jump into the T-6. Would it make a big difference?

I too have never understood the significance of T-6, but apparently it does carry weight, for whatever reason.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:30 pm

Hey everyone,

I am currently at a "Mid size" law firm working for a year before law school. I have become very close with many of the partners as we were out of town for a trial that lasted over a month. Some insight (though this is not "biglaw" but starting salary is 160,000) NONE of the attorneys at my firm know what the T6 law schools are. Most of them went to top 15 schools. They do not know where a specific school ranks each year but they do tend to know what is a T10 school and what is not. We had a couple 1L (9 actually) interns this summer when I started working. 1 from a "T6" school and the rest were between MVPB and UCLA/TX/Vandy schools. Only 2 were given offers to return and they were both in the MVPB range.

Like I said take this as just the word of one person but you dont have to go to a "T6" school to get market paying 1L SA's (though you do have to do very well whereever you are). I have asked specific questions like do you know the difference between where NYU ranks and where Penn ranks and all will say they are equal. You can include UVA/MICH/CHICAGO in there. They do know HYS are a notch above the rest.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

I too have never understood the significance of T-6, but apparently it does carry weight, for whatever reason.

Something this site likes to use that doesnt seem realistic. Berkeley was a "T6" not to long ago, is that significant?

Return to “Legal Employment”