Bronx DA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:06 pm

I only know of one person so far that has an offer from bronx and they received their offer the same week I had my third round interview. From what I hear, they generally do acceptances in waves... and I was told to keep an eye out for news sometime in early February for first wave. Everyone I've spoken to has stressed the whole "no news is good news" mentality; essentially if you don't hear about an offer... no news is good!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:and you say that because?


I know people that have received both. Why else would I say it???

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:14 pm

I had my third round in December, and received an offer shortly thereafter (within a few days). Doesn't mean that not hearing from them is necessarily a bad thing though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:51 pm

bump. any news? i haven't received an acceptance or rejection yet. my third round was in mid-december.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:bump. any news? i haven't received an acceptance or rejection yet. my third round was in mid-december.


I'm in the same position.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:47 am

I know of one person who received an offer for the March class recently (like the past week). She never received a rejection from the office at all apparently (when applying with the fall class of 2011 cycle), and was called about doing third rounds again and received an offer shortly after. So again, as far as I know... "no news is good news".

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:30 pm

Should I even bother applying now? I don't have stellar stats. I'm an URM, median at a t2.

Deadline is February 15th.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:51 pm

For those who have received offers and accepted, where are you planning to live?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Should I even bother applying now? I don't have stellar stats. I'm an URM, median at a t2.

Deadline is February 15th.



you could try applying, but if you want to be considered for the Fall class of 2012 i think you maybe at a disadvantage due to the timing of your application. I think most offices have already done their first round interviewing and are at the very least, onto their second rounds of interviews if not the third/final rounds (I completed all rounds in the Bronx already and I'm still playing the waiting game). As for your statistics I can't really comment on that at all considering that I really don't know how the local DA's offices are picking their classes... it really seems like a crapshoot once you're past the first or second round of interviewing (variety of factors: who you actually interview with, how your day went, etc...)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Should I even bother applying now? I don't have stellar stats. I'm an URM, median at a t2.

Deadline is February 15th.



you could try applying, but if you want to be considered for the Fall class of 2012 i think you maybe at a disadvantage due to the timing of your application. I think most offices have already done their first round interviewing and are at the very least, onto their second rounds of interviews if not the third/final rounds (I completed all rounds in the Bronx already and I'm still playing the waiting game). As for your statistics I can't really comment on that at all considering that I really don't know how the local DA's offices are picking their classes... it really seems like a crapshoot once you're past the first or second round of interviewing (variety of factors: who you actually interview with, how your day went, etc...)


I agree with this. You're probably at a HUGE disadvantage applying now for the class that starts this October. They were doing first rounds in September, and everyone I know that got a third round had it in late November/early December. Also, the initial set of offers have gone out already.

This is directly from the Bronx DA website: "Law school students interested in applying for assistant district attorney positions are encouraged to apply by October 31st of their last year of study."

That said, if this is really what you want to do and where you want to work, you should apply.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:50 am

not to be disparaging at all, but I was just sort of surprised to see so much interest about this on this forum, especially from non-locals... is there/what is the prestige level to Bronx DA?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not to be disparaging at all, but I was just sort of surprised to see so much interest about this on this forum, especially from non-locals... is there/what is the prestige level to Bronx DA?


Bronx DA does a ton of first round interviews through OCI at most NYC area law schools. They're also hiring, which ITE seems to be pretty rare. There are serious questions about ADA class sizes at other NYC area DA's offices, which could be one reason that there aren't threads about those offices.

As far as prestige, from what I hear ADAs in the Bronx get a lot of experience. The office seems to train well and give new ADAs the ability to build up cases from start through trial very early on. Also, after a few years the ones that stay on get really good experience really early in their career (3-5 years).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:49 am

The BX DA is the second most prestigious office in the state, behind NY County. It is well known by those in the know regarding DA offices. The hierarchy in NY is NY County (Manhattan, BX, Queens, BK, and the rest are kind of lumped together.

Besides the credentials of incoming classes, if you look at the hiring practices of the offices you can deduce where the talent goes. Ny County gives out offers in Nov-Dec. Bx gives out Dec-May. Queens depends a lot on budget but usually offers late march/April. BK you will most likely never here from but they give contingent offers depending upon if you pass the bar.

This system allows those passed over for NY County to accept BX if selected, and thus the talent trickles down.

As for Nationwide, Id say the hierarchy in Da's offices is 1. Ny County; 2. LA; 3/4/5(tie). Cook/Miami/Bronx;

(Slight Ny Bias from a practicing ADA) :)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:The BX DA is the second most prestigious office in the state, behind NY County. It is well known by those in the know regarding DA offices. The hierarchy in NY is NY County (Manhattan, BX, Queens, BK, and the rest are kind of lumped together.

Besides the credentials of incoming classes, if you look at the hiring practices of the offices you can deduce where the talent goes. Ny County gives out offers in Nov-Dec. Bx gives out Dec-May. Queens depends a lot on budget but usually offers late march/April. BK you will most likely never here from but they give contingent offers depending upon if you pass the bar.

This system allows those passed over for NY County to accept BX if selected, and thus the talent trickles down.

As for Nationwide, Id say the hierarchy in Da's offices is 1. Ny County; 2. LA; 3/4/5(tie). Cook/Miami/Bronx;

(Slight Ny Bias from a practicing ADA) :)


As someone who is starting at BX DA this fall, this is great to hear! :) Any other advice?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:03 pm

/\
The things you will learn, you will learn on the job mainly from your colleagues, especially those who are more senior to you. You dont want to bother a supervisor with a question that could have been answered by the person next door. Get a system of organization to put your cases (ie excel color coded chart), know what you have to do for every case and create a status sheet for each, and always try to be 3 steps ahead in everycase (dont wait until the last minute to bring in an officer and try to prep him for trial). But im sure you will learn this when you start.

If i had any advice for you it would be to make sure you study hard and pass the bar. I know the Bronx allows you to re-take, but honestly it is quite annoying as those who have to retake end up having to take off for a month, re-assigning cases etc.

p.s. I know a few people who are also starting in the Bronx this fall- excellent, bright attorneyes who all have experience in a district attorney's office. Congratulations.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:/\
The things you will learn, you will learn on the job mainly from your colleagues, especially those who are more senior to you. You dont want to bother a supervisor with a question that could have been answered by the person next door. Get a system of organization to put your cases (ie excel color coded chart), know what you have to do for every case and create a status sheet for each, and always try to be 3 steps ahead in everycase (dont wait until the last minute to bring in an officer and try to prep him for trial). But im sure you will learn this when you start.

If i had any advice for you it would be to make sure you study hard and pass the bar. I know the Bronx allows you to re-take, but honestly it is quite annoying as those who have to retake end up having to take off for a month, re-assigning cases etc.

p.s. I know a few people who are also starting in the Bronx this fall- excellent, bright attorneyes who all have experience in a district attorney's office. Congratulations.


Thanks for the reply. It seems like the organizational part will have to be done on the job once we realize what has to be done for every case. Unfortunately I don't have much experience working at a DA's office. I hope this doesn't put me too far behind the other new ADAs that are starting in the fall.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Don't worry. The the office atmosphere is very collegial and people usually go to one another for help on any sort of issue, including OMG WHAT DO I DO HERE. you are going to enjoy it. Every former ADA i have spoken to has said it was the most fun and best experience they have had in their legal career. Which now, coupled with IBR, is perhaps one of the most sought after positions out of lawschool.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:30 pm

For those of you still waiting, I did a third round in December and just heard about an offer, so no news is definitely good news. Good luck!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you still waiting, I did a third round in December and just heard about an offer, so no news is definitely good news. Good luck!


I had a very similar experience, 3rd round in early December, offer in late February. Good luck to those still waiting!! No news is good news!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Bad idea to email and ask about status? Bar apps are due soon and I'd love to know.Had a third round a while ago and havent heard back either way.

RW65
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:58 pm

Re: Bronx DA

Postby RW65 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:53 pm

Call > Email IMO.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2012 11:34 am

I got a call this morning asking me if I was still interested in a position with the office so it seems that they are still calling people and hiring their fall class.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a call this morning asking me if I was still interested in a position with the office so it seems that they are still calling people and hiring their fall class.


This is great news for those still waiting. Did they give any indication of when they might add people to the class?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Got a letter in the mail... quasi rejection i think, basically says they're done hiring for the October 2012 class but the last paragraph says....

"Though you are a qualified applicant, we are unable to offer you a position at this time. Your application will be considered if more positions become available."

meh. any ideas?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273433
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bronx DA

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:42 pm

Bronx DA hired 7 ADAs in January 2012 and 5 ADAs in March 2012. Presumably, they all interviewed for the October 2011 class. I know a few personally who were hired in January and/or March who interviewed for the 2011 class.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.