Salary in Secondary Markets

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Salary in Secondary Markets

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm likely going to be taking a 2L SA position with a satellite office of a large NY-based firm. The satellite office starting salary is 145K. It seems like the lockstep salary scale in NY is pretty well-known, but does anyone have any familiarity with the salary scale for firms/offices that start at 145? When I visited this office, it was continually mentioned that "you won't make the big bucks that the NY folks do", and I wasn't sure what to make of that. Does that meant that the increases are very small from year to year? This isn't a huge deal to me, as comfort and fit are my deciding factors, but if anyone has an idea about the salary increase structure for secondary markets/satellite offices (particularly ones that start at 145K), I'd love to hear.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Salary in Secondary Markets

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm likely going to be taking a 2L SA position with a satellite office of a large NY-based firm. The satellite office starting salary is 145K. It seems like the lockstep salary scale in NY is pretty well-known, but does anyone have any familiarity with the salary scale for firms/offices that start at 145? When I visited this office, it was continually mentioned that "you won't make the big bucks that the NY folks do", and I wasn't sure what to make of that. Does that meant that the increases are very small from year to year? This isn't a huge deal to me, as comfort and fit are my deciding factors, but if anyone has an idea about the salary increase structure for secondary markets/satellite offices (particularly ones that start at 145K), I'd love to hear.

Ask them. Varies from market to market and sometimes firm to firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Salary in Secondary Markets

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:19 pm

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm likely going to be taking a 2L SA position with a satellite office of a large NY-based firm. The satellite office starting salary is 145K. It seems like the lockstep salary scale in NY is pretty well-known, but does anyone have any familiarity with the salary scale for firms/offices that start at 145? When I visited this office, it was continually mentioned that "you won't make the big bucks that the NY folks do", and I wasn't sure what to make of that. Does that meant that the increases are very small from year to year? This isn't a huge deal to me, as comfort and fit are my deciding factors, but if anyone has an idea about the salary increase structure for secondary markets/satellite offices (particularly ones that start at 145K), I'd love to hear.

Ask them. Varies from market to market and sometimes firm to firm.


You think this is kosher to discuss? I'm meeting with a few people from the firm later in the week to discuss where I am in the process over lunch. It isn't too awkward to try and inquire into what the salary progression is like?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Salary in Secondary Markets

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm likely going to be taking a 2L SA position with a satellite office of a large NY-based firm. The satellite office starting salary is 145K. It seems like the lockstep salary scale in NY is pretty well-known, but does anyone have any familiarity with the salary scale for firms/offices that start at 145? When I visited this office, it was continually mentioned that "you won't make the big bucks that the NY folks do", and I wasn't sure what to make of that. Does that meant that the increases are very small from year to year? This isn't a huge deal to me, as comfort and fit are my deciding factors, but if anyone has an idea about the salary increase structure for secondary markets/satellite offices (particularly ones that start at 145K), I'd love to hear.

Ask them. Varies from market to market and sometimes firm to firm.


You think this is kosher to discuss? I'm meeting with a few people from the firm later in the week to discuss where I am in the process over lunch. It isn't too awkward to try and inquire into what the salary progression is like?

If you have the offer, it's kosher.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Salary in Secondary Markets

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:25 pm

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm likely going to be taking a 2L SA position with a satellite office of a large NY-based firm. The satellite office starting salary is 145K. It seems like the lockstep salary scale in NY is pretty well-known, but does anyone have any familiarity with the salary scale for firms/offices that start at 145? When I visited this office, it was continually mentioned that "you won't make the big bucks that the NY folks do", and I wasn't sure what to make of that. Does that meant that the increases are very small from year to year? This isn't a huge deal to me, as comfort and fit are my deciding factors, but if anyone has an idea about the salary increase structure for secondary markets/satellite offices (particularly ones that start at 145K), I'd love to hear.

Ask them. Varies from market to market and sometimes firm to firm.


You think this is kosher to discuss? I'm meeting with a few people from the firm later in the week to discuss where I am in the process over lunch. It isn't too awkward to try and inquire into what the salary progression is like?

If you have the offer, it's kosher.


I guess you are right. And I can probably transition into it fairly easily but asking whether there is a lockstep system in non-NY offices. Once they tell me that there is, it would seem pretty natural to follow up by asking how the structure compares to the NY lockstep structure.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273072
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Salary in Secondary Markets

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Just ask an associate that you might have clicked with during your callback. If you can't find someone then email the coordinator. I did and it was no problem at all; they even sent me a nice chart to help me understand the bonus structure.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.