DLA (NY) or Chadbourne (NY)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
100Kworthit?

DLA (NY) or Chadbourne (NY)

Postby 100Kworthit? » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:35 am

Deadline isn't for another 2 weeks but the pressure is pretty strong to pick already. I put a lot of weight on Law Firm name and am social enough to make a situation fun - would love some input either way - thanks!

DLA

Pros
- HQ
-Brandname / huge therefore easy to lateral from
- work comes to it rather than having to be built
- 100% offer rates for summer classes in the last 2 years - summer program is mostly just fun, everyone goes home at 6:30
- its already pretty leaned out
- good finance / corporate
-good office size

Cons
-everyone there didn't seem to know their hours
-2500 billable for a bonus for second years ?! Also - no bonus for first years
-new merit base compensation system seems worrisome since its new / no one quite understands its structure
-some first years seemed to be chasing work

Chadbourne

Pros
- good office size
- very social
- 3rd year - sent in house for a year to build relations with clients
- everyone had a enough work to keep them busy
- lower billables - 2400 hours is 10% of those who billed

Cons
- project finance group (what their most known for and top3 in ) very competitive to get in
- not everyone got an offer last year (14/15 so still good numbers) but that was because their work wasn't up to par
- 2L summer - worked pretty hard, until 12ish + weekends
- less brand named and therefore harder to lateral from

Anonymous User

Re: DLA (NY) or Chadbourne (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:49 am

100Kworthit? wrote:Deadline isn't for another 2 weeks but the pressure is pretty strong to pick already. I put a lot of weight on Law Firm name and am social enough to make a situation fun - would love some input either way - thanks!

DLA

Pros
- HQ
-Brandname / huge therefore easy to lateral from
- work comes to it rather than having to be built
- 100% offer rates for summer classes in the last 2 years - summer program is mostly just fun, everyone goes home at 6:30
- its already pretty leaned out
-good office size

Cons
-everyone there didn't seem to know their hours
-2500 billable for a bonus for second years ?! Also - no bonus for first years
-new merit base compensation system seems worrisome since its new / no one quite understands its structure
-some first years seemed to be chasing work

Chadbourne

Pros
- good office size
- very social
- 3rd year - sent in house for a year to build relations with clients
- everyone had a enough work to keep them busy
- lower billables - 2400 hours is 10% of those who billed

Cons
- project finance group (what their most known for and top3 in ) very competitive to get in
- not everyone got an offer last year (14/15 so still good numbers) but that was because their work wasn't up to par
- 2L summer - worked pretty hard, until 12ish + weekends
- less brand named and therefore harder to lateral from

Chadbourne seems to have the much better reputation, if not the brandname and doesn't seem to have struggled as much during the recession. And they aren't struggling with the implementation issues of DLA's huge mergers. Also, a much much better brandname for project finance (even if it takes awhile to get into).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:15 pm

also interested in this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:21 pm

seems like chadbourne has the better rep all-around

100Kworthit?

Postby 100Kworthit? » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:29 pm

Hm this is interesting - because I've spoken to a chief legal officer of a corporation who worked for 7 or 8 years in big law and another 6th your in a top 10 vault firm and they all view Chadbourne as a downgrade from DLA. They say its easier to move from DLA to chadbourne, and agree its best to go to the firm with furtherest reaching reputation. Does anyone have any ideas about how to weigh this?

Turtledove

Postby Turtledove » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:47 pm

100Kworthit? wrote:Hm this is interesting - because I've spoken to a chief legal officer of a corporation who worked for 7 or 8 years in big law and another 6th your in a top 10 vault firm and they all view Chadbourne as a downgrade from DLA. They say its easier to move from DLA to chadbourne, and agree its best to go to the firm with furtherest reaching reputation. Does anyone have any ideas about how to weigh this?

DLA is the product of a fairly recent merger, so my guess is that the people you talked to don't know about the resulting implementation challenges in the merger or they are referring to DLA's slightly higher NALP ranking, which is based on voodoo surveys. You don't see Chadbourne pulling funny business with lock-step or multiple salary adjustments. And you're talking NY. Chadbourne's based there. DLA is arguably so spread out it doesn't have a home base. DLA may have a reputation from name recognition for being the largest firm in the world and more alumni as a result, but if you go to Chadbourne, you will probably have better options. Think Georgetown v. Northwestern. GU's got lots of partners everywhere because it's so huge, but Northwestern has the highest percentage of people placed at big firms.

100Kworthit?

Postby 100Kworthit? » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:03 pm

Hm really interesting

Just wondering why and how Chadbourne & Parke would have better options? Exactly what do you mean as options - an exit plan?

Also - can ask where your back ground and where you got the info (i'm not distrusting, I'm putting the advice I get from everyone in context of their background- please understand!)

Money's not the biggest concern to me - but reputation as a firm, ability to lateral, are much more so. So more info about either of the two would be great!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:16 pm

100Kworthit? wrote:Hm really interesting

Just wondering why and how Chadbourne & Parke would have better options? Exactly what do you mean as options - an exit plan?

Also - can ask where your back ground and where you got the info (i'm not distrusting, I'm putting the advice I get from everyone in context of their background- please understand!)

Money's not the biggest concern to me - but reputation as a firm, ability to lateral, are much more so. So more info about either of the two would be great!

Chadbourne would have better exit options insofar as going to other options in the NY market, where they are more established then DLA and in Project Finance where they are simply better. I interviewed with both as a 2L and a 3L and was rejected at both, both time, but did a fair amount of digging to prep.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:26 pm

email ding today from Chabourne NYC. disappointed. moving on to small and mid-size firms. any one else doing the same and care to share about their process so far?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:email ding today from Chabourne NYC. disappointed. moving on to small and mid-size firms. any one else doing the same and care to share about their process so far?

Depending on how you define "mid-size" it can vary. I define it as 25-75 and they are certainly still looking for people. Most firms over that size though are done. Small firms I have had no clue on how to even find them, let alone get them to consider me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:56 am

how are you going about finding the mid-size firms you are interested in?

Return to “Legal Employment”