Drug Testing...SAs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Drug Testing...SAs?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:59 pm

So here's the deal: I'm looking into going to Amsterdam with some friends over spring break. This would be in pretty close proximity to the start of my firm's SA program (spring break is late at my school).

Do firms ever drug test summers?

kaiser

Re: Drug Testing...SAs?

Postby kaiser » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Certainly possible that they do. No one knows the policies of every specific firm. If I were you, id be smart and just hold off on anything questionable in Amsterdam. Been there before and it's totally possible to still have a good time.

phillipjg

Postby phillipjg » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:11 pm

"HR? Yeah, I'm a huge poppy seed fan. Will that be a problem or do you not drug test?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:46 pm

can anyone chime in if their firm did give them a drug test as a SA or new associate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:can anyone chime in if their firm did give them a drug test as a SA or new associate?

I know the following firms do not drug test:

Orrick
Latham
Hughes Hubbard
Skadden

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:02 pm

I had a drug test for my 1L summer job with an in-house counsel.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:03 pm

kahechsof wrote:I had a drug test for my 1L summer job with an in-house counsel.

Coca Cola drug tests. I think F100 companies are far more likely to drug test than law firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:12 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=133613

thank u for ur suggestion, but that thread is even more meandering and less helpful than normal for TLS. I have one specific Q: Can anyone tell me that their V100 required a drug test at any point for SA's or 1st yr associates?

Thanks!

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:17 pm

I think it's exceedingly unlikely, and if that were the only thing stopping you, I would say go for it.

There are, however, other things to worry about that would keep me from doing it. For example, you will still have to report it if you ever apply for gov't work (or face prison time for lying about it). And, it's not actually legal for you to smoke in Amsterdam (it wasn't ever really, but they've made the law considerably more strict with regard to tourists recently). Getting busted there right before you start a career as a lawyer would be embarrassing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:22 pm

kahechsof wrote:I had a drug test for my 1L summer job with an in-house counsel.

Me too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:50 pm

For example, you will still have to report it if you ever apply for gov't work (or face prison time for lying about it).

This. Some agencies actually care if you've used in the past five years. Any of them could do hair follicle tests at some point in the future. Probably not DOJ or SEC, granted, but why risk it? I think I started turning down the joint my first year out of law school. Why risk it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:45 am

Meh, pot will probably be legal 5 years from now. But still, I wouldn't smoke 3 months out from a "potential" piss test. You can def cut it closer by why risk it? Sucks mang, seriously good weed in the Netherlands.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=133613

thank u for ur suggestion, but that thread is even more meandering and less helpful than normal for TLS. I have one specific Q: Can anyone tell me that their V100 required a drug test at any point for SA's or 1st yr associates?

Thanks!

Seriously. In threads like these it's like people go out of their way to lecture you rather than just answering the fucking question (jail time? WTF?).

My SA next summer mentioned nothing about contingency on drug test in the offer letter, just background check.

My current in-house internship however did require a drug test. Kinda the standard for any corporate job nowadays anyway.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!

Seriously. In threads like these it's like people go out of their way to lecture you rather than just answering the fucking question (jail time? WTF?).

My SA next summer mentioned nothing about contingency on drug test in the offer letter, just background check.

My current in-house internship however did require a drug test. Kinda the standard for any corporate job nowadays anyway.

You can anonymously lick the sweat off the back of my balls. I answered the question, both in short (no, you almost certainly won't be drug tested) and in long (but it's short-sighted for that to be your only concern).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:58 am

I had a classmate drug tested by a St. Louis based national firm. Randomly selected, allegedly.

Weed stays in your system the longest of the popular drugs, unfortunately. Hair tests can detect regular weed use as far back as 8 months. Piss test conventional wisdom is 30-60 days, but that depends on how much you use and your body's fat composition and kidney function. I've heard of people getting busted when they hadn't smoked for 4 months but were previously a heavy user.

Not worth the risk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:49 am

At my bay area firm the summers routinely smoked together during the summer. The associates dropped hints of smoking all the time. I'm sure the partners blazed too. But hey, thats norcal for you...

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 am

z0mg people don't want to get lectured about things that segments of society may disapprove of (or rather recommend against)?

goddammit people, don't you know when people post anonymously online they don't deserve or should even expect any blame, pedantic arguments, disapproval, etc.?

Return to “Legal Employment”