Best primary to work biglaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:38 pm

Factor in QoL, living costs, associate satisfaction? Exclude tertiaries like Miami/Boston; consider simply SF/SV, LA, Chi, DC, NYC.

Is it chi?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:40 pm

ITT: personal preference

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:42 pm

Grizz wrote:ITT: personal preference



Interesting because the metrics I listed are ... all objectively measured.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:ITT: personal preference

Interesting because the metrics I listed are ... all objectively measured.

Dude, wtf?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:52 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:ITT: personal preference

Interesting because the metrics I listed are ... all objectively measured.

Dude, wtf?


Cost of living/QoL -- lump them. Objective.

Associate satisfaction -- take midlevel associate satisfaction surveys from AmLaw and compare the regions.

This is not mensa-level activity.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:ITT: personal preference

Interesting because the metrics I listed are ... all objectively measured.

Dude, wtf?


Cost of living/QoL -- lump them. Objective.

Associate satisfaction -- take midlevel associate satisfaction surveys from AmLaw and compare the regions.

This is not mensa-level activity.


Then do it yourself.

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:58 pm

I put all of this in an excel spreadsheet and the output was #####. HTMFH

Need an Excel MFE/masterman to please look over my formulas.

Edit: This wasn't meant to be anonymous. MODS!

edit: fixt :D
edit: damn it mod, you fixed nothing.
that's really weird. it WAS fixt.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I put all of this in an excel spreadsheet and the output was Chicago. HTMFH

If you answered your own question, why do you need us.
Last edited by Grizz on Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:01 pm

You're not good at trolling.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby kaiser » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:01 pm

So go out and snag one of the many jobs available in Chicago. I hear there are an abundance of legal jobs there for the pickin'

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I put all of this in an excel spreadsheet and the output was #####. HTMFH

Need an Excel MFE/masterman to please look over my formulas.

Edit: This wasn't meant to be anonymous. MODS!



lol

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:02 pm

Damn it, that was my post. I am not OP.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:03 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:Damn it, that was my post. I am not OP.

You silly goose

Transferthrowaway
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:04 pm

Grizz wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:Damn it, that was my post. I am not OP.

You silly goose

I joke-failed after I excel-failed. :(

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:05 pm

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cost of living/QoL -- lump them. Objective.

Associate satisfaction -- take midlevel associate satisfaction surveys from AmLaw and compare the regions.

This is not mensa-level activity.

Then do it yourself.

This. If it's so easy to figure out, what's wrong with you that you need others to do it?

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Geist13 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:15 pm

If you think quality of life is objective, then you don't know what objective means.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Renzo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:36 pm

Geist13 wrote:If you think quality of life is objective, then you don't know what objective means.


Or, for that matter, quality of life.

tlstlstls73
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby tlstlstls73 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:37 pm

Renzo wrote:
Geist13 wrote:If you think quality of life is objective, then you don't know what objective means.


Or, for that matter, quality of life.


Or of.

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:51 pm

tlstlstls73 wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Geist13 wrote:If you think quality of life is objective, then you don't know what objective means.


Or, for that matter, quality of life.


Or of.


Or "."

duckmoney
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby duckmoney » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:52 pm

In terms of how far "market" pay will take you, Texas > Chicago > DC > LA > market pay at pretty much every other city in the US > NYC.

In terms of everything else you might be alluding to, discussion would be pretty much pointless (as you've seen ITT thus far). Just pick a place you want to live.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Cavalier » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:57 pm

...
Last edited by Cavalier on Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
omninode
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby omninode » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:18 pm

duckmoney wrote:In terms of how far "market" pay will take you, Texas > Chicago > DC > LA > market pay at pretty much every other city in the US > NYC.

In terms of everything else you might be alluding to, discussion would be pretty much pointless (as you've seen ITT thus far). Just pick a place you want to live.



I agree with this. The objective measures (cost of living and whatnot) will mean very little if you are not happy with your location.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby Renzo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:24 pm

omninode wrote:
duckmoney wrote:In terms of how far "market" pay will take you, Texas > Chicago > DC > LA > market pay at pretty much every other city in the US > NYC.

In terms of everything else you might be alluding to, discussion would be pretty much pointless (as you've seen ITT thus far). Just pick a place you want to live.



I agree with this. The objective measures (cost of living and whatnot) will mean very little if you are not happy with your location.


In fact, if you believe in free markets even a little bit, then there's a good case that high cost of living is irrelevant. It's just the market price for living someplace better. If San Francisco is twice as expensive as Kearny, NE, then the average resident must think it's twice as good, because otherwise people would move and prices would come down until people felt like they were getting their money's worth.

foxtrottortxof
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby foxtrottortxof » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:33 pm

Renzo wrote:
omninode wrote:
duckmoney wrote:In terms of how far "market" pay will take you, Texas > Chicago > DC > LA > market pay at pretty much every other city in the US > NYC.

In terms of everything else you might be alluding to, discussion would be pretty much pointless (as you've seen ITT thus far). Just pick a place you want to live.



I agree with this. The objective measures (cost of living and whatnot) will mean very little if you are not happy with your location.


In fact, if you believe in free markets even a little bit, then there's a good case that high cost of living is irrelevant. It's just the market price for living someplace better. If San Francisco is twice as expensive as Kearny, NE, then the average resident must think it's twice as good, because otherwise people would move and prices would come down until people felt like they were getting their money's worth.


lulz. Joking, right?

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Best primary to work biglaw?

Postby mrloblaw » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:47 pm

I hear market $ goes pretty far in Chad nowadays.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.