Lets talk small firm applications

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lets talk small firm applications

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:26 pm

So it's pretty clear that a large number of TLS posters with pretty good grades etc. are striking out (my god the Midwest thread). I'm one of these students. Just inside top 25%, LR, Cali Award, no offers (techincally still waiting on two midsize firms). So, I'm getting ready to bomb small firms. How do we go about applying to these places? Most of them don't say anything about hiring students or where to send applications or anything like that. So what's the process like and what's the first step?

Void

Re: Lets talk small firm applications

Postby Void » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So it's pretty clear that a large number of TLS posters with pretty good grades etc. are striking out (my god the Midwest thread). I'm one of these students. Just inside top 25%, LR, Cali Award, no offers (techincally still waiting on two midsize firms). So, I'm getting ready to bomb small firms. How do we go about applying to these places? Most of them don't say anything about hiring students or where to send applications or anything like that. So what's the process like and what's the first step?

Talk to your CSO to get an idea of when your local small firms typically start hiring. At my school, they say that any time before January is too early. They also recommend calling small firms to determine whether they're hiring and if so, where to direct application materials.

I've also had a little success so far (as in, a few people have at least responded to me) by directly emailing recent alums of my law school who work at small firms, to get an idea of their hiring needs and ask what I should do to apply. In keeping with what CSO told me, though, it seems too early to apply in my local market.

azntwice

Re: Lets talk small firm applications

Postby azntwice » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:43 pm

some firms hire very early for paid positions, so i would get them out over winter break. i emailed a couple firms in february and they said they were out of paid positions. also, small firm attorneys go on long and unpredictable vacations, so earlier is better.

Return to “Legal Employment”