Really Worried No Offer Yet --- But Top 10% Grades at T10

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
minnbills

Re: Really Worried No Offer Yet --- But Top 10% Grades at T10

Postby minnbills » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:33 pm

Eco wrote:
The best thing to do is wear a black suit with a light (not too light) blue shirt and grey tie. Can't go wrong.

mmm I don't know about that, I'm not speaking from experience but I'm under the impression black is strictly formal, unless you're interviewing with the government.

Dark grey or navy= can't go wrong.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:34 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:35 pm

minnbills wrote:
Eco wrote:
The best thing to do is wear a black suit with a light (not too light) blue shirt and grey tie. Can't go wrong.

mmm I don't know about that, I'm not speaking from experience but I'm under the impression black is strictly formal, unless you're interviewing with the government.

Black is for clubs and funerals, not work.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
minnbills wrote:
Eco wrote:

Black is for clubs and funerals, not work.

Or if you are in the CIA. But thats about it

omninode

Postby omninode » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:44 pm

Yep- I have always been told that black is reserved for uniforms and certain rare occasions. Not for business.

Pato_09

Postby Pato_09 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Black works when you are an actual attorney, but not for interviews. However, black is still much better than what the OP wore.

Plus, if the word "sucker" is in the name of the suit, do not wear it.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:30 pm

How is this thread still alive?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:35 pm

kahechsof wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T10 school, Top 10% Grades, Law Review.

Have been on 16 callbacks ---- no offers and 6 rejections so far. Really starting to get worried. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. Career services told me halfway through to stop wearing my seersucker suit, but I still have either gotten rejected or not heard anything from the firms that I wore a more conservative suit to since then so I don't think that was it.

I've lined up 3 more callbacks next week in DC. Any suggestions? What the hell am I doing wrong?

You can just say "UVA" instead of T10.

Not UVA, but close--I don't want to out myself.

Duke

OP said he went to a Top 10 school, not that he went to Duke.

Void

Postby Void » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:59 pm

showNprove wrote:
kahechsof wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You can just say "UVA" instead of T10.

Not UVA, but close--I don't want to out myself.

Duke

OP said he went to a Top 10 school, not that he went to Duke.

Other than Virginia, there's no state/region in the T10 where seersucker would be even borderline appropriate. (Stanford & Boalt are both in NorCal where it barely ever gets much warmer than 85 degrees.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:48 pm

Void wrote: (Stanford & Boalt are both in NorCal where it barely ever gets much warmer than 85 degrees.)

Berkeley can get prettttty chilly. (think Larry David voice)

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Void wrote: (Stanford & Boalt are both in NorCal where it barely ever gets much warmer than 85 degrees.)

Berkeley can get prettttty chilly. (think Larry David voice)

He always says pretttaay more than once you hack

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:08 pm

OP here. Just wanted to let everyone know I got an offer today from a CA firm I previously interviewed with and wore the seersucker suit. While there was some disagreement over whether this attire was appropriate or not, I definitely think it did not hurt me in the process as the partner mentioned in the phone call how impressed everyone was with me. In fact, I think it might have actually helped me. So don't be afraid to wear what you think is appropriate.

Also, does anyone have any experience asking off for vacations during a summer associate program? I have a vacation planned in the middle of July and so I planned on going ahead and asking off for those 2 weeks when accepting the offer. Do you think it would be better to contact the hiring partner via email or phone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Just wanted to let everyone know I got an offer today from a CA firm I previously interviewed with and wore the seersucker suit. While there was some disagreement over whether this attire was appropriate or not, I definitely think it did not hurt me in the process as the partner mentioned in the phone call how impressed everyone was with me. In fact, I think it might have actually helped me. So don't be afraid to wear what you think is appropriate.

Also, does anyone have any experience asking off for vacations during a summer associate program? I have a vacation planned in the middle of July and so I planned on going ahead and asking off for those 2 weeks when accepting the offer. Do you think it would be better to contact the hiring partner via email or phone?

Great flame, guy.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Just wanted to let everyone know I got an offer today from a CA firm I previously interviewed with and wore the seersucker suit. While there was some disagreement over whether this attire was appropriate or not, I definitely think it did not hurt me in the process as the partner mentioned in the phone call how impressed everyone was with me. In fact, I think it might have actually helped me. So don't be afraid to wear what you think is appropriate.

This has got to be a flame. Wearing a seersucker suit to interviews? Calling Duke a top 10 school? Asking for two weeks off in the middle of the summer program? Either you're a flame or you are in the bottom 10% of your class in terms of judgment.

Return to “Legal Employment”