Really Worried No Offer Yet --- But Top 10% Grades at T10

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Really Worried No Offer Yet --- But Top 10% Grades at T10

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:27 am

T10 school, Top 10% Grades, Law Review.

Have been on 16 callbacks ---- no offers and 6 rejections so far. Really starting to get worried. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. Career services told me halfway through to stop wearing my seersucker suit, but I still have either gotten rejected or not heard anything from the firms that I wore a more conservative suit to since then so I don't think that was it.

I've lined up 3 more callbacks next week in DC. Any suggestions? What the hell am I doing wrong?

Anonymous User

Re: Really Worried No Offer Yet --- But Top 10% Grades at T10

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:T10 school, Top 10% Grades, Law Review.

Have been on 16 callbacks ---- no offers and 6 rejections so far. Really starting to get worried. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. Career services told me halfway through to stop wearing my seersucker suit, but I still have either gotten rejected or not heard anything from the firms that I wore a more conservative suit to since then so I don't think that was it.

I've lined up 3 more callbacks next week in DC. Any suggestions? What the hell am I doing wrong?

I almost struck out with similar numbers. Ended up with one offer (which I am plenty happy with).
I would advise you to do a mock interview with career services.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:37 am

If you seriously wore a seersucker suit, then this speaks volumes about your judgment and predicament.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:38 am

You can just say "UVA" instead of T10.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:41 am

well, to be fair to him, he still had plenty of callbacks after changing the suit. I am curious what you focused on conversationally in interviews, and what kind of WE or softs you have--maybe they scream' academic'

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:42 am

kwais wrote:If you seriously wore a seersucker suit, then this speaks volumes about your judgment and predicament.

Like I said, career services told me not to wear the suit and I did 7 callbacks without it and got the same results. I actually think there is nothing wrong with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Not UVA, but close--I don't want to out myself.

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not UVA, but close--I don't want to out myself.

Duke

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:well, to be fair to him, he still had plenty of callbacks after changing the suit. I am curious what you focused on conversationally in interviews, and what kind of WE or softs you have--maybe they scream' academic'

Wait, that's a problem?

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:51 am

mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:well, to be fair to him, he still had plenty of callbacks after changing the suit. I am curious what you focused on conversationally in interviews, and what kind of WE or softs you have--maybe they scream' academic'

Wait, that's a problem?

Yes. Law firms don't want people who are planning to bail after a few years. They want to fire you, not have you quit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
kwais wrote:If you seriously wore a seersucker suit, then this speaks volumes about your judgment and predicament.

Like I said, career services told me not to wear the suit and I did 7 callbacks without it and got the same results. I actually think there is nothing wrong with it.

Jeepers.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:

exactly

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:53 am

mrloblaw wrote:

Wait, that's a problem?

it's not a 'problem'--but firms don't want somebody they pay $3k a week that leaves after a year to become a professor. it's just like 'regional ties'--they want somebody that sticks around. that's the business model.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:54 am

I do not know you but this makes me nervous for all of us.

omninode

Postby omninode » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Jeepers.

Didn't mean for that to be anonymous.

But, like I said, jeepers. The seersucker does not suggest good judgment.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:56 am

Considering the whole "I think seersucker is fine for ultra-conservative business purposes" thing, is there any possibility of major cultural differences that might be off-putting, particularly if you've been doing CBs in places like LA that look for regional ties?

No offense intended.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:

Wait, that's a problem?

it's not a 'problem'--but firms don't want somebody they pay $3k a week that leaves after a year to become a professor. it's just like 'regional ties'--they want somebody that sticks around. that's the business model.

Note to self: go back in time and remove half the stuff on my resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:08 am

Relax. Nervousness is probably the #1 thing that makes interviewers uncomfortable. Why is the candidate nervous? Don't take too much out of your 6 rejections and delayed answers from the rest... you could have just been displaying a lack of seriousness with the seersucker.

These are just some behaviors. There is no formula. You want to be somebody that other people want to be around. Talk about how you want to be an excellent lawyer and mean it. Find ways to relate to your interviewers to seem like a human being. Discuss frivolous things like sports. Never give packaged answers. Live in the moment and LISTEN to what the interviewer is saying. Ask about their practice and ask follow up questions that get to the heart of what they do.

Look the part. Relax. Be interested in the people around you. Let your actual and genuine personality show. Being goofy and owning it is better than wearing a "cool" mask and not selling it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:14 am

I thought seersucker was considered a conservative/old money type look. Common in both the south and new england. Unless it was LA or Chicago, i don't see how it could have been a problem, a lot of firms have causual dress callbacks and biz casual dress codes in general.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:I thought seersucker was considered a conservative/old money type look. Common in both the south and new england. Unless it was LA or Chicago, i don't see how it could have been a problem, a lot of firms have causual dress callbacks and biz casual dress codes in general.

Seersucker looks academic, conservative, and old money. Lawyers are looking for sleek, professional, and serious. Unless the firms SPECIFICALLY ask for business casual dress you'd better be in a gray or navy 3 piece suit and conservative tie (even at firms that allow business casual for their lawyers). Some fashion conscious guys can pull off alternative suit colors and looks, but not the average dude.

Looking the part demonstrates seriousness. A professional look is a part of your evaluation, and it will color your whole day. Solve the entire problem by dressing the part then they will stop thinking about it.

My story: attorney A and I walked to lunch for at of my callbacks. He insisted that I leave my jacket in his office due to heat (100+) in Phoenix. We met another attorney at the restaurant, attorney A told attorney B that I had left my jacket behind at his direction, and that I looked professional before that. Attorney B, the hiring partner, said "whew- I was wondering what was going on. You would not believe what people wear to these interviews. Complete lack of seriousness." This is one story among many, but nobody is EVER going to hold a conservative navy/grey suit against you.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Seersucker looks academic, conservative, and old money. Lawyers are looking for sleek, professional, and serious. Unless the firms SPECIFICALLY ask for business casual dress you'd better be in a gray or navy 3 piece suit and conservative tie (even at firms that allow business casual for their lawyers). Some fashion conscious guys can pull off alternative suit colors and looks, but not the average dude.

Looking the part demonstrates seriousness. A professional look is a part of your evaluation, and it will color your whole day. Solve the entire problem by dressing the part then they will stop thinking about it.

My story: attorney A and I walked to lunch for at of my callbacks. He insisted that I leave my jacket in his office due to heat (100+) in Phoenix. We met another attorney at the restaurant, attorney A told attorney B that I had left my jacket behind at his direction, and that I looked professional before that. Attorney B, the hiring partner, said "whew- I was wondering what was going on. You would not believe what people wear to these interviews. Complete lack of seriousness." This is one story among many, but nobody is EVER going to hold a conservative navy/grey suit against you.

I highly disagree with a three-piece being preferable, much less obligatory. It'd look quite dandyish on a law student. Plus, I don't think I've ever seen it done: best not to stand out.

But yeah, you don't want to look "old money." You want to look exactly like every other law student. Navy or grey suit, white shirt, red or blue tie, black belt and shoes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:42 am

mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Seersucker looks academic, conservative, and old money. Lawyers are looking for sleek, professional, and serious. Unless the firms SPECIFICALLY ask for business casual dress you'd better be in a gray or navy 3 piece suit and conservative tie (even at firms that allow business casual for their lawyers). Some fashion conscious guys can pull off alternative suit colors and looks, but not the average dude.

I highly disagree with a three-piece being preferable, much less obligatory. It'd look quite dandyish on a law student. Plus, I don't think I've ever seen it done: best not to stand out.

But yeah, you don't want to look "old money." You want to look exactly like every other law student. Navy or grey suit, white shirt, red or blue tie, black belt and shoes.

That should have read "2 piece suit."

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:

That should have read "2 piece suit."

While I thought that might be a typo, I found it important to not send OP on his next interview sporting a Jimmy Stewart.

--ImageRemoved--

Stylish, but not 25 year old lawyer-y.

Edit: I didn't realize how bloody large the second image was.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:06 am

I'm drunk, but ass burgers.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:07 am

Grizz wrote:I'm drunk, but ass burgers.

Nah, dude, it was the four-piece seersucker suit.

Return to “Legal Employment”