Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm

Skadden
20
59%
Paul Hastings
14
41%
 
Total votes: 34

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby Sandro » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:00 pm

So you guys are basically backhandedly stigmatizing Atlanta because it has a lot of black people ? Wut ? I'm still failing to see how just because people are black it would be a "culture shock" I see culture shock as NYC where most people don't even speak english in some places, have completely different customs, and are hostile to outsiders, it smells, etc etc etc.

I could so the same for some cities because of the large amounts of trashy white people. The idea that anyone, outside of people from very protected conservative situations, would be "shocked" or even have a relatively difficult time adjusting to Atlanta is so beyond me that I can't tell if you are serious or not.


Like someone else said, unless you are walking down some of the rougher neighborhoods in say east atlanta or by the airport with a big gold chain around your neck and Bruce Willis' sandwich board sign from Die Hard 3 - its not that big of a deal.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:05 pm

I once saw Charles Barkley at a bar. Beat that, Wilmington.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:32 pm

Yeah, I'm having a hard time deciding whether people are saying that the large African American population in Atlanta is a good thing or the "shocking" thing.

Omerta
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby Omerta » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:37 pm

God this thread is retarded -- lot of backhanded racism and classicism.

OP: what do you want to do? If it's labor and employment or litigation, I'd go with PH. If it's corporate trans or lit, then I'd go Skadden.

You already know which city you'd rather live in, so it comes down to what you think you'd like to practice. Both firms are similar sizes, have a similar chance of making partner, and cater to the same general clientele.

meatball122
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:02 pm

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby meatball122 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
f0bolous wrote:I'd think that Atlanta would be much less of a culture shock to anyone coming from any major city than Wilmington. Yeah, it's southern, but at the end of the day, it's still a global city. Wilmington? Not so much.



Seriously! The only thing Wilmington has going for it is it's proximity to Philly.

I lived 20 min north of Wilmington for 20 years. Wilmington itself is "eh" but the surrounding area is pretty nice.

If one were to have a family, I would highly recommend the Philadelphia/Wilmington suburbs. Growing very very fast and some really good schools.

If youre single and looking to party... not so much. But, like they said, Philly isnt far away at all and its pretty close to some nice DE/NJ beaches (1 hour ish).

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:04 pm

rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wow. Totally didn't think the diversity would be what Atlanta defenders thought I was talking about. No clue if the NYC not integrated thing is true, but comparing ATL to California (SF, Oakland, Long Beach, etc.), the diversity is exactly the same---that wasn't the implied criticism. The differences are in WHITE southern culture. Maybe Wilmington is worse. Just saying if OP is from Cali, ATL is gonna be a culture shock. The idea that you have to stay in a 20 mile metro area to avoid the "deep south" doesn't seem that appealing.


Atlanta I'd an awesome city, but it is a bubble of progressivism in the deep south. That's just he nature of the place. It's not very limiting in practice, because there is really nothing outside that 20 mile radius that would be interesting. It's not like the Bay where you might take a weekend trip to the valley for something. If you live in Atlanta, the only place you go is to savannah/jekyll island/etc to get to the beach (which is amazing, btw, like a warm bath in summer).

And diversity in Atlanta is very different than other parts of the country. When I was in SF the only black people I interacted with were in service positions. In Atlanta, you'll be at an upscale lounge and half the people in line will be black.


As much as I can bump heads with this guy, he really does know what he's talking about when it comes to Atlanta and a variety of other major metro areas. A lot of people just stereotype, but from his descriptions of places it's very apparent that he's been there. His description of Atlanta is DEAD on. Atlanta diversity is very different from other parts of the country. It's one of the only major metro area where you will see a wide spectrum of Black culture--from yuppie to whatever else. Diversity in places like Cali generally means a lot of Asian culture mixed with White. For the type of people who frequent this website (ie attended elite undergrads etc.) they are already very used to that. But they are probably unaccustomed to being around a significant amount of Blacks. For them Atlanta may be an adjustment (particularly if they are not accustomed to Blacks holding a significant amount of political and economic influence).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273172
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:37 pm

Sandro wrote:I could so the same for some cities because of the large amounts of trashy white people. The idea that anyone, outside of people from very protected conservative situations, would be "shocked" or even have a relatively difficult time adjusting to Atlanta is so beyond me that I can't tell if you are serious or not.


Lol at Atlanta would only shock conservatives. This place is 10x more conservative than many others. Maybe part of the shock is that here people think they are actually liberal??? You do realize Gingrich's campaign HQ is here, all GOP candidates flow through here for fundraising, and they just put an innocent man to death.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby rayiner » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sandro wrote:I could so the same for some cities because of the large amounts of trashy white people. The idea that anyone, outside of people from very protected conservative situations, would be "shocked" or even have a relatively difficult time adjusting to Atlanta is so beyond me that I can't tell if you are serious or not.


Lol at Atlanta would only shock conservatives. This place is 10x more conservative than many others. Maybe part of the shock is that here people think they are actually liberal??? You do realize Gingrich's campaign HQ is here, all GOP candidates flow through here for fundraising, and they just put an innocent man to death.


The Jeeps full of gay dudes with rainbow colored flags that can occasionally be seen in midtown would probably shock conservatives from surrounding areas. Gingrich's campaign HQ is in Atlanta because he used to represent a district that included the northern suburbs. The GOP candidates flow through there because it's a major city.

Politically, the city leans left. Fulton county (which includes parts of Gingrich's district) went Obama 70-30 in 2008, a margin similar to the one by which Obama won Queens County, NY.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273172
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:08 pm

OP here, I'm black for what it's worth, so thanks for all the bigotry

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, I'm black for what it's worth, so thanks for all the bigotry


Then from brother to brother, there is no way in hell you should pick Wilmington,Delaware over Atlanta. Really this isn't the place for you to even ask this sort of question. Ask this question in blacklawschooldiscussion.com and see how the results of the poll totally flip flop. Hell ask this question to any Black person who's been to Atlanta and see what they tell you. Keep in mind that the preferences of people on this site lean heavily towards a young hippie Caucasian perspective of what's "fun" and pleasant. That may or may not mesh with your interests.

I'm not sure whether you're single or not, but you will be in VERY high demand with Black women in Atlanta with your profile as a Paul Hastings associate. And although, unfortunately a lot of ATL Black women can be a bit hood and shallow, many of them are very attractive.

And the number of concerts/artists that come to Atlanta is HUGE. I seriously doubt Delaware can compare.

And to the anon that Rayiner is arguing with--stop--the man knows Atlanta. You're not going to one up him with descriptions about what the place is like.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby showNprove » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:21 pm

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273172
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:26 pm

showNprove wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here, I'm black for what it's worth, so thanks for all the bigotry


Then from brother to brother, there is no way in hell you should pick Wilmington,Delaware over Atlanta.

Wilmington is 56% black. Granted, that says nothing about how it translates to OP's social strata (highly educated professionals), but even if it didn't, Philadelphia is only half an hour away. Plenty of Wilmington lawyers live in Philadelphia.


+1. i think you're underestimating how close wilmington is to philly. 30-45 mins TOPS. plus, it's just a short 90 min drive to DC and/or Baltimore if you want to change it up on the weekends. wilmington itself may be smaller, but it's close to a ton of places that are much larger and cooler.

meatball122
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:02 pm

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby meatball122 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Not only is it 30 minutes tops, it's only one road the entire way there. Not overly trafficy, either (as of 5 years ago, at least).

Honestly, if I could get a job in wilmington I would do it in a heart beat. Best of both worlds: urban life (philly) plus suburbs (philly suburbs, which are booming).

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:43 pm

showNprove wrote:Wilmington is 56% black. Granted, that says nothing about how it translates to OP's social strata (highly educated professionals), but even if it didn't, Philadelphia is only half an hour away. Plenty of Wilmington lawyers live in Philadelphia.


LOl you're missing it. Not to be rude but you'd have to Black to understand what I'm talking about. Black life in Wilmington, DE is a hell of a lot different than Black life in Atlanta. Atlanta is a major metropolis where Blacks THRIVE, not just survive. Blacks run lots of businesses in Atlanta, they have political influence, there are numerous Black clubs/establishments in Atlanta and many Black owned businesses. Hell there are a lot of Blacks in Detroit, but ask most Black people who've been to both locales which location they would prefer.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby showNprove » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:46 pm

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273172
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:47 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
showNprove wrote:Wilmington is 56% black. Granted, that says nothing about how it translates to OP's social strata (highly educated professionals), but even if it didn't, Philadelphia is only half an hour away. Plenty of Wilmington lawyers live in Philadelphia.


LOl you're missing it. Not to be rude but you'd have to Black to understand what I'm talking about. Black life in Wilmington, DE is a hell of a lot different than Black life in Atlanta. Atlanta is a major metropolis where Blacks THRIVE, not just survive. Blacks run lots of businesses in Atlanta, they have political influence, there are numerous Black clubs/establishments in Atlanta and many Black owned businesses. Hell there are a lot of Blacks in Detroit, but ask most Black people who've been to both locales which location they would prefer.


man I don't know anything about atlanta, so you may be right, but Philly is a very black city as well, and has a lot of the qualities you are describing. True, Wilmington isn't, but it'd be easy to commute and even easier to live somewhere nice in the middle of the two.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:49 pm

showNprove wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
showNprove wrote:Wilmington is 56% black. Granted, that says nothing about how it translates to OP's social strata (highly educated professionals), but even if it didn't, Philadelphia is only half an hour away. Plenty of Wilmington lawyers live in Philadelphia.


LOl you're missing it. Not to be rude but you'd have to Black to understand what I'm talking about. Black life in Wilmington, DE is a hell of a lot different than Black life in Atlanta. Atlanta is a major metropolis where Blacks THRIVE, not just survive. Blacks run lots of businesses in Atlanta, they have political influence, there are numerous Black clubs/establishments in Atlanta and many Black owned businesses. Hell there are a lot of Blacks in Detroit, but ask most Black people who've been to both locales which location they would prefer.

Hence my note about Philadelphia being well within commuting distance.



Are you serious? Blacks in Philly are struggling, the number of Black owned businesses in Philly compared to Atlanta is a joke, and there is no Black entertainment culture anywhere near the level of Atlanta. The only city that comes close to Atlanta's Black culture is DC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273172
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:52 pm

this thread is now about which city is blackest.


anyway. OP, lit or corp?

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby showNprove » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:55 pm

.
Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby rayiner » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:55 pm

The "just do Philly bro" thing is a bit questionable. Philadelphia is a 29 mile commute along I-95 from Wilmington. Unless Philly and Wilmington have no traffic, it's going to be a 40+ minute commute from downtown to downtown. And I-95 an get insanely backed up on certain days. Sure you can live in the 'burbs in-between, but do you really want to live in the 'burbs as a young professional?

Paul Hastings is in Bank of America Plaza, right across the interstate from Georgia Tech's campus. I used to live right by there. There are apartments within walking distance of the building, and you're less than a 5 minute drive to anything in midtown. Or, if you insist on commuting by car, it's right off I-85 so you can live in Buckhead and be at work in 10 minutes.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:49 pm

rayiner wrote:The "just do Philly bro" thing is a bit questionable. Philadelphia is a 29 mile commute along I-95 from Wilmington. Unless Philly and Wilmington have no traffic, it's going to be a 40+ minute commute from downtown to downtown. And I-95 an get insanely backed up on certain days. Sure you can live in the 'burbs in-between, but do you really want to live in the 'burbs as a young professional?

Paul Hastings is in Bank of America Plaza, right across the interstate from Georgia Tech's campus. I used to live right by there. There are apartments within walking distance of the building, and you're less than a 5 minute drive to anything in midtown. Or, if you insist on commuting by car, it's right off I-85 so you can live in Buckhead and be at work in 10 minutes.



Underselling Atlanta's traffic problems just a bit eh...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273172
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:56 am

OP: I am interested primarily in Corp. I know the chair of PH's Corporate group sits in their Atlanta office, making it slightly more attractive. Also I'm not sure where "number of blacks in the city" ranks on my list of priorities, but I suspect pretty low.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:08 pm

The thing that may be a culture shock about Atlanta is the lack of density. It isn't a "city" in the sense that many people in the northeast think when they think "city." You will be driving everywhere. There are intown neighborhoods with no sidewalks. It's essentially a strip of skyscrapers running along Peachtree for about 8-10 miles, surrounded by suburbs that begin five blocks away on either side.

That said, Atlanta, at least "inside the perimeter," is relatively progressive and has lots to do. But outside of a small handful of neighborhoods, you will not be living an urban lifestyle. (Many people prefer this.)

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby rayiner » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
rayiner wrote:The "just do Philly bro" thing is a bit questionable. Philadelphia is a 29 mile commute along I-95 from Wilmington. Unless Philly and Wilmington have no traffic, it's going to be a 40+ minute commute from downtown to downtown. And I-95 an get insanely backed up on certain days. Sure you can live in the 'burbs in-between, but do you really want to live in the 'burbs as a young professional?

Paul Hastings is in Bank of America Plaza, right across the interstate from Georgia Tech's campus. I used to live right by there. There are apartments within walking distance of the building, and you're less than a 5 minute drive to anything in midtown. Or, if you insist on commuting by car, it's right off I-85 so you can live in Buckhead and be at work in 10 minutes.



Underselling Atlanta's traffic problems just a bit eh...


Atlanta has bad traffic, but 85 is reasonably clear in the morning for the short hop down from buckhead to midtown. The traffic problem is more for the millions of people who commute in the larger metro area. Even then it's highly asymmetrical. My reverse commute from buckhead to gwinett up 85 was a breeze.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Skadden (Wilmington, DE) vs. Paul Hastings (Atlanta, GA)

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:18 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
rayiner wrote:The "just do Philly bro" thing is a bit questionable. Philadelphia is a 29 mile commute along I-95 from Wilmington. Unless Philly and Wilmington have no traffic, it's going to be a 40+ minute commute from downtown to downtown. And I-95 an get insanely backed up on certain days. Sure you can live in the 'burbs in-between, but do you really want to live in the 'burbs as a young professional?

Paul Hastings is in Bank of America Plaza, right across the interstate from Georgia Tech's campus. I used to live right by there. There are apartments within walking distance of the building, and you're less than a 5 minute drive to anything in midtown. Or, if you insist on commuting by car, it's right off I-85 so you can live in Buckhead and be at work in 10 minutes.



Underselling Atlanta's traffic problems just a bit eh...


Sorry, but I have to give it up to Rayiner on his Atlanta knowledge. He is DEAD on with his assessment here. Living in the part of Atlanta where Paul Hastings is located would essentially eliminate one having traffic problems. It's literally a block or less away from many apartments, about 8 minutes (if that? ) from midtown, and it's about the same distance from Atlantic station. Atlanta's traffic is more of an issue for people who live in the suburbs of Atlanta (which is actually most people, and where ATL gets its traffic rep from) but for the part of town that the OP could/should live in if he works at Paul Hastings it won't be an issue at all.


showNprove wrote:I think we're trying to make two different points. I'm not trying to argue that Wilmington/Philadelphia has the most welcoming socioeconomic environment for blacks, or even that it is more so than Atlanta. If the OP wanted to know which city would have the most to offer a black professional, I'm sure he would have asked that. If, however, the OP only wanted to ensure that he would have an ample social scene for black professionals, then Wilmington/Philadelphia will provide that, which is my point. Considering the OP didn't even mention his race until the questionable responses to this thread were posted, it's hard to tell just how much weight he puts on this factor.


If anything, his late mention of his race implies that he would be more concerned about a city having a thriving Black professional class, than just a large nominal amount of Blacks.


Anonymous User wrote:OP: I am interested primarily in Corp. I know the chair of PH's Corporate group sits in their Atlanta office, making it slightly more attractive. Also I'm not sure where "number of blacks in the city" ranks on my list of priorities, but I suspect pretty low.


That doesn't really narrow things down. Both firms are more or less corporate focused; the truth is that this really comes down to where you want to live. If you want to do Corporate in Atlanta, then there's probably no better firm than Paul Hastings. But if you don't want to live there that doesn't really do you any good.

May I ask what your stats are: school range/grades?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.