Cleary vs. STB?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cleary vs. STB?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:25 am

looking to work in corporate and want to do international work (asia). i'd want to lateral over to a small firm or in-house in a few years. what do you think?

Anonymous User

Re: Cleary vs. STB?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:45 pm

While Cleary is usually considered more international, it's probably a wash for Asia (Cleary is really, really good for Europe). STB is the only one of the two in Tokyo, if you're interested in Japan (they're both in Beijing and Hong Kong). Not much prestige difference for corporate work. STB has a rotation system for junior corporate associates while Cleary is free market--up to you which sounds more appealing. (Anecdotally, I've heard Cleary criticized for being disorganized in work assignment.) STB does a lot of private equity work, especially M&A, while Cleary does more capital markets.

Location in NYC might matter marginally, too, of course. When your choices are pretty similar, it's not a terrible thing to take into account. FiDi (Cleary) opens up living in Brooklyn or Jersey City, while STB would allow you to live in Westchester or Long Island City/Astoria.

I'm going to STB, so you should, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:12 pm

cleary. no contest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:23 pm

I'm going to Cleary and am constantly pushing it on "where to go" threads. But everything I have heard is that STB is the best of the best for Asia.

Return to “Legal Employment”