Charlotte Market with Southern ties

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Charlotte Market with Southern ties

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:20 am

How hard would it be to break into the Charlotte market if you have Southern ties (but not North Carolina ties) and attend UVA?

Anonymous User

Re: Charlotte Market with Southern ties

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:12 am

Probably not too difficult coming from UVA, but if you're talking this fall, that ship has already sailed. All the big firms have done CBs and have at least started to give out offers.

HTH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:53 pm

I wouldn't say it would be easy. From my experience, Charlotte firms seem to be really big on people from NC law schools or people with NC-specific ties. Robinson Bradshaw likes UVA people a lot, but they are pretty selective so you'll need strong grades, even from UVA. Several of the other big Charlotte firms (e.g. Womble, Moore & Van Allen) didn't even recruit on grounds at UVA this year.

Overall, I don't think ties to the south in general and UVA will be enough. You'll probably need pretty strong grades too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wouldn't say it would be easy. From my experience, Charlotte firms seem to be really big on people from NC law schools or people with NC-specific ties. Robinson Bradshaw likes UVA people a lot, but they are pretty selective so you'll need strong grades, even from UVA. Several of the other big Charlotte firms (e.g. Womble, Moore & Van Allen) didn't even recruit on grounds at UVA this year.

Overall, I don't think ties to the south in general and UVA will be enough. You'll probably need pretty strong grades too.

I wouldn't be surprised. It's amazing how many of the Southern firms expect DC firm quality grades from UVA students. Quite frankly, with the miniscule bump they seem to give top schools, you might as well just attend the local Southern school with a big scholarship over UVA/Duke. At least that's what I would recommend to those who are interested in working in the South.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wouldn't say it would be easy. From my experience, Charlotte firms seem to be really big on people from NC law schools or people with NC-specific ties. Robinson Bradshaw likes UVA people a lot, but they are pretty selective so you'll need strong grades, even from UVA. Several of the other big Charlotte firms (e.g. Womble, Moore & Van Allen) didn't even recruit on grounds at UVA this year.

This.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:17 am

From interviewing with Cadwalader, most of their attorneys are not from Charlotte. Robinson Bradshaw is big on ties, Bradley Arant is not so picky. I've seen other firms in Charlotte give call backs to students without Charlotte ties.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:25 am

Callback =/= offer. Southern firms seem to focus much more on ties at the callback stage in my experience.

I also know that Cadwalader did 25+ callbacks for 3 spots.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:28 am

Grizz wrote:

This.

T25/Top10%/No ties - offered CB at Charlotte firm. Through resume collect.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:

This.

T25/Top10%/No ties - offered CB at Charlotte firm. Through resume collect.

Anonymous User wrote:Callback =/= offer. Southern firms seem to focus much more on ties at the callback stage in my experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Callback =/= offer. Southern firms seem to focus much more on ties at the callback stage in my experience.

Damn, I feel good about getting an offer from Cadwalader then, though I declined to accept.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:49 pm

Honestly, I dont think it will be difficult to get Charlotte if you have top grades. Raleigh on the other hand would be harder. On one of my CBs in Charlotte I started to give my "why NC/Charlotte" bit since my resume screams the North, and the partner told me to stop because the large firms dont care that much about ties since many are northern transplants. Now for the southern regional/boutique types (aside from RB and MVA), I think you really need to sell your desire to live in that specific NC city.

Return to “Legal Employment”