Acceptance Gift?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby RMstratosphere » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Skadden LA gave out post-offer pacemakers.


HA!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:08 pm

Finnegan Henderson gave us a subscription to the Washingtonian last year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Does Covington give anything out? I know they have a rep for being a bit cheap (I am already getting used to thinking of this, somewhat defensively, as being "fiscally prudent").

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Bosque » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does Covington give anything out? I know they have a rep for being a bit cheap (I am already getting used to thinking of this, somewhat defensively, as being "fiscally prudent").


TBF, I would much rather have a 100% offer rate than cookies or an iPod. That's the ultimate gift.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Bosque wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does Covington give anything out? I know they have a rep for being a bit cheap (I am already getting used to thinking of this, somewhat defensively, as being "fiscally prudent").


TBF, I would much rather have a 100% offer rate than cookies or an iPod. That's the ultimate gift.

I dunno man, I hear Kirkland's brownies are $160k good.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:07 pm

Cravath gave out cloth bags last year, as did S&C.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:13 pm

S&C gave cookies. They were delicious. I didn't have an offer, but my vegetarian friend did and I stole some of the cookies. Good thing they didn't give him like Omaha steaks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:16 pm

Nothing from Latham, yet. Not being fired before I start is gift enough, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does Covington give anything out? I know they have a rep for being a bit cheap (I am already getting used to thinking of this, somewhat defensively, as being "fiscally prudent").


TBF, I would much rather have a 100% offer rate than cookies or an iPod. That's the ultimate gift.

I dunno man, I hear Kirkland's brownies are $160k good.


Am I the only one who did not think the brownies were good at all? Too fudgey. Eck.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does Covington give anything out? I know they have a rep for being a bit cheap (I am already getting used to thinking of this, somewhat defensively, as being "fiscally prudent").


TBF, I would much rather have a 100% offer rate than cookies or an iPod. That's the ultimate gift.

I dunno man, I hear Kirkland's brownies are $160k good.


Am I the only one who did not think the brownies were good at all? Too fudgey. Eck.


They were very decadent/rich, that is for sure.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:49 am

Not an offer gift, but yesterday on the train I saw a man who appeared to be homeless sporting a Sidley Austin tote bag to carry his knick-knacks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does Covington give anything out? I know they have a rep for being a bit cheap (I am already getting used to thinking of this, somewhat defensively, as being "fiscally prudent").


TBF, I would much rather have a 100% offer rate than cookies or an iPod. That's the ultimate gift.

I dunno man, I hear Kirkland's brownies are $160k good.


Am I the only one who did not think the brownies were good at all? Too fudgey. Eck.


Those brownies SHATTERED the market.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Those brownies SHATTERED the market.


You know why those brownies were so rich? Because they're a reflection of what K&E bonuses do to those who receive them.

MARKET. SHATTERING. BROWNIES.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not an offer gift, but yesterday on the train I saw a man who appeared to be homeless sporting a Sidley Austin tote bag to carry his knick-knacks.


Huh, guess I really need to update my wardrobe. And take a bath.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:18 am

Cravath-scale Brownies:
Image

Kirkland-scale Brownies:
Image

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:32 am

Image

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:42 am

Fleece blanket with firm logo from Alston + Bird. Vaguely disappointed that they didn't take a golden opportunity to make a dumb joke
Image

User avatar
RMstratosphere
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby RMstratosphere » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Chapman and Cutler sent post its with the firm's logo.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Damn. I also got freaked out for a second thinking that I was supposed to give a gift to them after their offer. Reminds me of my "jewish boy in a non-jewish world" story:

Went to my friend's wedding at his church, and left my gift for him in the car. I had never been to a church or church service before, so I didn't know what to expect. As the bride is walking down the aisle, I look at the wedding program and see "Presentation of the Gifts" and I start freaking out since I left the gift in the car! I'm like "holy shit, they formally present gifts during the wedding ceremony?!" I have a mini-freak out and nervously start asking the people around me where their gifts were, and explain my situation. Needless to say, much laughter ensued at my expense.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Damn. I also got freaked out for a second thinking that I was supposed to give a gift to them after their offer. Reminds me of my "jewish boy in a non-jewish world" story:

Went to my friend's wedding at his church, and left my gift for him in the car. I had never been to a church or church service before, so I didn't know what to expect. As the bride is walking down the aisle, I look at the wedding program and see "Presentation of the Gifts" and I start freaking out since I left the gift in the car! I'm like "holy shit, they formally present gifts during the wedding ceremony?!" I have a mini-freak out and nervously start asking the people around me where their gifts were, and explain my situation. Needless to say, much laughter ensued at my expense.


Jews make the world go round with the joy they bring to us all; without them, its the apocalypse.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:03 pm

Simpson Thacher sent out a pretty sweet gym bag with the firm's name on it, and another travel mug, just for good measure.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Simpson Thacher sent out a pretty sweet gym bag with the firm's name on it, and another travel mug, just for good measure.

smart move. keep your associates in shape to save on healthcare, and keep them caffeinated to ensure production.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273408
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:15 pm

Young Conaway (DE) gives you $1,000 for signing with them for the summer.

AriGoldButNicer
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Young Conaway (DE) gives you $1,000 for signing with them for the summer.

that's a lot of gym bags, and mugs.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Acceptance Gift?

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Bosque wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does Covington give anything out? I know they have a rep for being a bit cheap (I am already getting used to thinking of this, somewhat defensively, as being "fiscally prudent").


TBF, I would much rather have a 100% offer rate than cookies or an iPod. That's the ultimate gift.


You know, for some people it's not really an either or. The shock, right?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.