Philadelphia DA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Philadelphia DA

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:26 pm

East Coast, not Philly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Of those of us waiting to hear about full-time ADA positions, how many live in or are from the Philadelphia area? I am not - but I was just curious about most other people.

How important of a factor do you think it is whether someone went to a Philly area (or at least a PA) law school? I'm sure it is a consideration in their hiring decisions, but how strongly do you guys think they weigh it as compared with other factors?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 pm

I'm a 3L, so obviously I have no wisdom, but my understanding is that you should have gone to school around there/worked there OR be from there OR stand out. By "stand out" I just mean at least decent grades, solid DA experience, a legit reason for moving to that city, and an excellent interview process - in other words, no weaknesses and convince them you belong in that city, and anything more is gravy.
I have no connection to Philly, and I'm hoping that loving Philly and wanting a fresh start are good enough reasons... I am previous East Coast poster.
Can anyone add specificity or something more or different?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:32 pm

Over/Under for when offers come out: Friday

I'll take the over. I honestly am starting to believe the Philly DA's office is a fictional place and I dreamed having an interview there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L, so obviously I have no wisdom, but my understanding is that you should have gone to school around there/worked there OR be from there OR stand out. By "stand out" I just mean at least decent grades, solid DA experience, a legit reason for moving to that city, and an excellent interview process - in other words, no weaknesses and convince them you belong in that city, and anything more is gravy.
I have no connection to Philly, and I'm hoping that loving Philly and wanting a fresh start are good enough reasons... I am previous East Coast poster.

I think I mentioned this earlier, but what you've said is basically what they're looking for. They want someone who can handle the pressure, and who wants to be there and do the work in an ethical, straight-forward manner. Grades aren't a big deal as long as you aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel, and you know your way around the court room.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Over/Under for when offers come out: Friday

I'll take the over. I honestly am starting to believe the Philly DA's office is a fictional place and I dreamed having an interview there.

I'm taking the over as well. I don't know what the hold-up is there, but the wait is starting to get to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 3L, so obviously I have no wisdom, but my understanding is that you should have gone to school around there/worked there OR be from there OR stand out. By "stand out" I just mean at least decent grades, solid DA experience, a legit reason for moving to that city, and an excellent interview process - in other words, no weaknesses and convince them you belong in that city, and anything more is gravy.

From my experience, you pretty much nailed it. It is definitely possible to get into the office from outside the area, but by large margins those who work there are from the area's schools and I would guess that locals take priority. Aside from the fact that they want you to have some love for and understanding of the community you're serving, being able to work for the office during the school year has to be a big advantage. I think the most important thing for them is knowing that you can handle Municipal Court without crying and running away. There's no better way to show that (and know for yourself if you even really want the job) than actually doing the work. I think it goes without saying, though, that everyone should pray for a healthy budget this year which leaves some room for a decent number of non-Philadelphians.

Also, the Appeals Unit is probably governed by a completely different set of standards, so my speculations may be on the Moon if that's your goal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Of those of us waiting to hear about full-time ADA positions, how many live in or are from the Philadelphia area? I am not - but I was just curious about most other people.

I'm from the Philly metro region (grew-up and went to undergrad in the area - GO BIRDS!), attending law school in PA but not Philly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:04 pm

for those of you who have called to check your status, have you called catherine schuler or george mosee? just curious

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:for those of you who have called to check your status, have you called catherine schuler or george mosee? just curious

I had emailed Catherine Schuler about 2 weeks ago, since the website said said that type of question should be directed toward her.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:for those of you who have called to check your status, have you called catherine schuler or george mosee? just curious

I had emailed Catherine Schuler about 2 weeks ago, since the website said said that type of question should be directed toward her.

Has anyone called today for an update? I tried but there was no answer. I'm pretty sure she'll just say hopefully this week but it makes me feel better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:08 pm

I did. this time she said hopefully by the end of the week or beginning of next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:46 pm

It seems to me her standard answer is maybe next week! I don't know about the rest of you, but I need to complete bar applications! This wait is terrible. I can't think about anything else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It seems to me her standard answer is maybe next week! I don't know about the rest of you, but I need to complete bar applications! This wait is terrible. I can't think about anything else.

Same! Thank god for this thread and people to commiserate with. I feel like a huge douche complaining to my roommate about this wait when she has zero job prospects.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:33 pm

Yeah, I emailed Mr. Mosee about a month ago and he said that it would be the middle to the end of February. I just sent my application in for the PA bar, but I haven't paid any of the fees yet, so I haven't gone all-in yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:30 pm

When is the final deadline to apply for the PA bar for July? I am already taking the NY and NJ bars now in February, but my preference is to get the Philly DA, so I want to be sure to apply for the July PA bar before it's too late.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:38 pm

Wow! you are taking the February bar while in school? I believe 4/15 for PA bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow! you are taking the February bar while in school? I believe 4/15 for PA bar.

Thanks for the info - good to know we still have some time. I actually just graduated in December (a semester early), so that's how I'm able to take the February bar now. My first choice is to come to Philly, so I am eagerly awaiting their decisions - as I am sure we all are!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:48 pm

So I tried calling today and there is no answer. I think Ms. Schuler has stopped answering the phone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:52 pm

Well it's almost 5:00. Here's hoping for decisions tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well it's almost 5:00. Here's hoping for decisions tomorrow.

Amen.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:25 pm

any word?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any word?

No. I'm gearing up for a long couple of days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:43 pm

I at this point don't believe even next week will happen. I am thinking mid March realistically.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:50 pm

So I called this morning because I am ready to pull out all of my hair. I am going crazy with this: Ready for what Schuler said?

Decisions should go out next week because the DA has to approve everything. Yes next week! And next week I will not be surprised if she says the following week! This is so annoying!

Return to “Legal Employment”